Clicking noise from firewall [Archive] - Nissan Armada Forum: Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums

: Clicking noise from firewall

Campfamily
08-14-2011, 11:55 PM
We just returned a few hours ago from a camping trip with our trailer to Mammoth Lakes. After unloading the trailer at home, we went to put it back in storage. When I started the Armada, we heard a clicking noise coming from the firewall area, perhaps behind the dash board. The clicking went for about 10 seconds, then quit. I shut off the engine, restarted, and it repeated. I looked under the hood and couldn't see anything strange. But, every time we start the truck, the clicking noise occurs. It clicks exactly 22 times, starting about 2 seconds after the engine starts. All of the vent controls work, so I don't think it is one one of the vent actuators inside the dash. Any ideas out there?

Keith

Campfamily
08-15-2011, 11:37 PM
Anybody??????

97trakin
08-18-2011, 07:30 PM
I answered this in the A/C click thread. Hope it helps.
Good luck.

Campfamily
08-23-2011, 07:07 PM
First diagnosis from the dealer is that it is one of the vent actuators behind the gauge cluster, so 97trakin, you were right. I guess I figured that if it was making that noise, the vent actuators wouldn't actually move to redirect the air, and the noise would happen when I change the vent settings. I was wrong.

Truck is at the dealer now to fix it, praying it's covered under my extended warranty.

Keith

97trakin
08-23-2011, 07:23 PM
Yeah that's why I said it sounds like you have the Auto climate control. The Titan and Armada with auto climate control usually make the noise at shut down.
The vent door will eventually move and redirect the air flow even though the gears are slipping, that's what makes the clicking noise.

They make the actuators from two different materials. If the plastic for the main gear is black then you have the crappy ones, if the plastic is white then you have the good/updated ones. I replaced my bad one with another black one, didn't know better at the time, oh well.

Funny thing is I've never heard about a QX56 with this clicking problem to date ;) .
They must all have the good ones lol.

Campfamily
08-24-2011, 09:33 AM
Update from the dealer late yesterday evening, it is the "heater valve actuator":confused: making the noise. Good news is that the actuator is located on the firewall, and doesn't require removal of the dashboard. Second bit of good news is that this is covered by my extended warranty.

Keith

97trakin
08-24-2011, 04:04 PM
That's excellent news. It's only held on there with one nut. It's sounds like you have the old style, Nissan only used the geared valve on the "04's from what I've seen. The "05's and up use the solenoid plunger type valve because the old ones had a few failures.
I modded mine to open wider than factory so when you turn my heat on max, it's ON MAX :D lol.

This is the older geared style that you have from your description.
http://www.titantalk.com/forums/attachments/titan-parts-accessories/90710d1256606174-heater-valve-part-number-photo.jpg

This is the new solenoid plunger style.
http://i621.photobucket.com/albums/tt299/fontananissan/heatervalve.jpg

Campfamily
08-24-2011, 06:39 PM
That's excellent news. It's only held on there with one nut. It's sounds like you have the old style, Nissan only used the geared valve on the "04's from what I've seen. The "05's and up use the solenoid plunger type valve because the old ones had a few failures.
I modded mine to open wider than factory so when you turn my heat on max, it's ON MAX :D lol.

My truck is a 2006. :confused:

97trakin
08-24-2011, 07:42 PM
My truck is a 2006. :confused:
You beat me to it lol. I was on TT and some of them still have the geared ones also. What it seems like is the geared version is for the trucks with auto climate control.
Mine doesn't have auto climate control and it does have the plunger style solenoid valve.

It would be sweet if someone with a "05+ with auto climate control could snap a quick pic :).

97trakin
08-24-2011, 08:05 PM
Ok here's a pic under the hood of 9balllrook's "06 SE. Not sure if he has auto-climate control or not. It clearly has a geared valve.
http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk68/9ballrook/scooters005.jpg

And here's a pic of under my hood, "05 SE non-climate control. Clearly has a solenoid plunger style valve, I took it apart lol.
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e108/97TRAKIN/IMAG0143.jpg

The reason I'm trying to figure this out is just to let the guys with auto climate control have a heads up of something else to check that's easily replaceable if they ever get the clicking noise.

So lets hear it 9balllrooks. If you say 'YES' to having auto-climate control that will clear up my assumption.

Auto climate control = geared valve that may be the source of any potential fire wall clicking noise.
Non-auto climate control = solenoid valve that RARELY goes bad if ever. And fails in the open position anyway so you'd still have heat. Non-auto climate control FTW! :D

BlakSpyda
09-01-2011, 01:37 PM
Holy Shiznit! Maybe that was what I had been hearing when I thought the clicking was coming from the windshield area. I haven't heard it for a while. :duh: Because i have not been using the heat! :duh:

Campfamily
09-01-2011, 04:09 PM
I got the clicking noise every time I turned the key on. The click occurred exactly 22 times, then never came up again unless I turned off the key and turned it back on. The dealer replaced this valve, as well as some of the hoses that attach to that valve (apparently about $300 worth of parts), and the noise is gone. Fortunately was covered under my extended warranty.

97trakin
09-01-2011, 05:07 PM
I'm glad you got it sorted.
The hose and valve come as a unit. You can't buy the valve without the hoses attached to it.

repower
03-06-2012, 10:05 PM
The wife just complained about this noise today. Same exact symptoms as Camp, but only 18 clicks. It looks like the geared version.

I have an 08 SE Premium, auto climate control, 115K miles, out of warranty:( Great performing truck, nevertheless. Have had her since 8 miles.

This club rocks!

timdog
05-23-2012, 11:05 PM
Hey how do u change the heater control valve. I have a 07 mada and the dealership wants 400.00 to change it out. They told me that it is permanently connected to the two hoses. They said I have to drain the coolant with a special tool. Has anyone changed this part out

97trakin
05-24-2012, 11:27 PM
Hey how do u change the heater control valve. I have a 07 mada and the dealership wants 400.00 to change it out. They told me that it is permanently connected to the two hoses. They said I have to drain the coolant with a special tool. Has anyone changed this part out
The heater control valve is held on by one single bolt to the top of the fire wall under the hood. Yes the hoses are permanently attached to it by design. You can drain your coolant by pulling the radiator bottom hose, you don't have to drain all of it.
$400 is probably the total for the part, labor, coolant etc.. A little high to me especially when its so easy to change on your own.

97trakin
05-24-2012, 11:32 PM
Timdog if you look at page 1 you'll see how its attached to the firewall, 1 bolt.

timdog
05-29-2012, 01:09 AM
ok I just unplugged the thing till i find a replacement part. Is there a plug to drain so of the coolant or do i have to detach the hose from the radiator.

97trakin
05-30-2012, 10:46 AM
There should be a drain valve on the bottom of the radiator.
Drain it only when you're ready to replace it.
I'm assuming you have auto climate control using the geared type heater control valve. You can open up the valve (take cover off) and manipulate it manually. Open it on cold days and close it on warm days. At least until you get it replaced.

HammerTime
06-16-2012, 10:15 PM
My '04 LE with Auto climate started making this noise intermittantly when the blower is going to a lower setting (or so it seems). I checked the pics on this thread, and it looks like I have the "plunger" style that doesn't tend to make this noise? Should I try replacing it anyway?

97trakin
06-20-2012, 11:05 PM
You said the key words, its an "04 lol.
I'd check the damper door servo. If you remove the glove box you can see it sitting on top the air box. Run the HVAC and adjust the controls to where it usually makes the noise while you have a hand on the actuator. If that's the one clicking you'll feel it.

Good luck.

HammerTime
08-26-2012, 02:31 PM
97trakin - Ok so I finally got around to checking, and i think you're right, the noise is coming from that area. Now the question is what do I do from here? do I just replace the whole unit? Looks like the part is the heating unit which is not cheap by any standards!

B_serious
08-27-2012, 02:06 AM
This was very helpful because for the past two weeks ive been hearing this noise and was wondering what it could be, and the funny thing about it is that @ my fathers shop a infinity truck came in with the clicking noise and he asked me if i knew what it could be since the trucks are almost indentical, but im glad i have CA.. because now we i got the answer for both trucks hopefully.. thank you

:bow: CLUB ARMADA

97trakin
08-28-2012, 12:08 AM
97trakin - Ok so I finally got around to checking, and i think you're right, the noise is coming from that area. Now the question is what do I do from here? do I just replace the whole unit? Looks like the part is the heating unit which is not cheap by any standards!
If that actuator needs replacing sadly its do-able but NOT easy. Small hands are a plus unless you remove the dash.
Is it "one click" or "multiple rapid clicks"?

HammerTime
08-29-2012, 12:16 PM
If that actuator needs replacing sadly its do-able but NOT easy. Small hands are a plus unless you remove the dash.
Is it "one click" or "multiple rapid clicks"?

It is multiple rapid clicks intermittantly. Can I just remove the screws that hold down that cover and remove the actuator, or is it more involved? I tried to feel around and touched the metal tube behind it and it was HOT, so I am a little weary of removing the cover unless I know what I am doing. Thanks!!

gldfamily13
08-29-2012, 08:16 PM
Has anyone had the "clicking" sound happen after you turn the key to off. It takes about about 2 minutes and "clicks" about 10 times. I popped the hood it it definately is not coming from the engine compartment. The clicking sounds like it is coming from behind the stereo area.

Campfamily
08-29-2012, 08:31 PM
Has anyone had the "clicking" sound happen after you turn the key to off. It takes about about 2 minutes and "clicks" about 10 times. I popped the hood it it definately is not coming from the engine compartment. The clicking sounds like it is coming from behind the stereo area.

It is your HVAC actuators closing all of the vents. This is normal. You'll also notice that your speedo and tach needles will vibrate. I think of it as my car going to sleep.

Keith

97trakin
08-30-2012, 12:59 PM
When you turn the truck off the vents return themselves to a "set" position. If you sit in the truck you can hear it, it shouldn't be any rapid clicking though. Rapid clicking = bad actuator.

97trakin
08-30-2012, 01:53 PM
Here's a pic of the area, the actuator sits right on top. The cover you're talking about only covers the top of the aluminium heater core. You can move the cover for a little better access to the area if you'd like.
If you PUT YOUR HAND ON IT (the actuator) and feel the clicking then you know for sure it's bad. It sucks because it's so visible but such a pain in the tail-end to remove lol.
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e108/97TRAKIN/cam-1.jpg

97trakin
08-30-2012, 01:58 PM
The actuator in the pic above is the one that controls the temperature in ALL Armada's/Titans. It sits in the same spot on all these vehicles. Good luck.

gldfamily13
08-30-2012, 03:33 PM
Cool, thanks for the pic, I'll check that out today. Everything is working correctly, just thinking that the clicking is some sort of failure that is on it's way.

BlakSpyda
08-30-2012, 10:36 PM
Welcome gldfamily13!