Had a Titan, now have a Pathfinder [Archive] - Nissan Armada Forum: Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums

: Had a Titan, now have a Pathfinder

Mike Up
10-23-2005, 03:20 PM
Hi Folks,

I'm Mike Up, I was referred to this site from 92TripleBlack. I frequent the Titantalk forum and recently traded my 2004 XE Crew Cab 4X4 Titan with Off-Road and Preferred Packages in for my new 2005 Silver 4X4 Pathfinder.

A history, I traded my beloved 2000 Xterra in for the 2004 Titan. Loved the Xterra, most reliable vehicle I've ever owned that was fun with added bonus of utility. My Titan was my second worst vehicle I've ever owned next to my old '96 Chevy Camaro which got first place.

Titan problems were all mainly TSBs with window switch replacement, Radio replacement, Brake repairs and then finally replacement, complete brake failure with pedal bouncing off of floor, rear end failure, tons of rattles, bed protective rail caps leaked, making a wet bed even with tonneau covers, and the list goes on and on. I need a vehicle I can rely on, and the Titan wasn't it.

Luckily I have a great Nissan dealership and they worked out a decent deal with me, so I could get out of my trouble plagued Titan and into my "original first choice" of a 2005 Pathfinder. Now I'm there, with much regrets that I didn't follow my gut instinct and buy the 2005 Pathfinder as I originally was going to, before buying the Titan truck.

Can't say how much I love the Pathfinder. Ride seems much better on road than the Titan and comparable to the Titan Off Road. I really love how the SE rides.

I did compare an Xterra SE and an Xterra Off Road and didn't like either to well. Both kept their composure on either type of surfaces quite well, but the SE transmitted every bump to the driver and the Off Road produced a very bad swimming effect when driving on road. If I had bought the X, I most likely would had gone to the SE as I didn't like the swimming effect with on road performance.

The Pathfinder SE has a better on road and off road ride quality than either the Xterra SE or Off Road. I was quite amazed by this which helped my decision pretty good. The Xterra didn't have the towing I needed which is really weird since it's shares it's drivetrain with the Frontier and Pathfinder both of which can tow 6000 lbs and aren't limited to the X's lower 5000 lbs.

Since no local dealer had a Pathfinder SE Off Road to test drive, I stuck with the SE since I knew I loved it's ride on and off road. Beside the skid plates are less than $250 installed. The Off Road Pathy would cost me an additional $1000 for hill assend/descend (which I wouldn't use), Rancho Shocks(which were questionable in their benefit for my needs), and the larger Rugged Trail tires (which I really like, but at $1000, I can get my favorite Bridgestone Dueler AT Revos that I had on my 2000 SE 4X4 Xterra!).

I can't say how much I love the Bose system. It produces near 40 Hz to 50 Hz bass which is good for a car system. The bass adjustment only boosts high bass frequencies so I leave it at 0 as with the Treble, and put mids down to -2 db. Just love the sound, not as good as my PC Klipsh system or my 2 home theaters which one is Denon and Infinity, and the other is Yamaha and Infinity, but for a car system, it sounds good. Another thing that I was thrown from is that Nissan statest the 2005 has 9 speakers with sub and 2006 states has 10 with sub. It's all how you interpet it. It has 8 drivers (4 tweeters and 4 woofers which would really make 4 speakers), then it has one subwoofer module that contain's "2" ~6" woofers. So it has one subwoofer module, but with 2 drivers. There lies the discrempancy but regardless, they're the same.

I've never never had a vehicle with this many luxury items. I have the comfort and premium packages which main benefits are described in my signature. All I can say is that I'm in heaven in this Pathy. Very quiet interior, no rattles or squeaks, and an excellent ride on and off road. Where's my grey mustard. :D

Well I see ya,

Have a good one.

92TripleBlack
10-23-2005, 04:56 PM
Welcome aboard! ;)

Mike Up
10-23-2005, 08:27 PM
Welcome aboard! ;)

THANKS!! Looking forward to the board discussions.

Have a good one.

adjmcloon
10-23-2005, 09:18 PM
Good read- welcome to the boards!

I've been eyeing the Pathfinder's brother, the new Frontier in a 4x4. I need a decent commuter vehicle, and I also need a truck. I've been checking out the Tacoma, the Ridgeline, and the Frontier and the Nissan seems to have the best bang for the buck without question. Have you had yours long enough to gauge your mpg? If I could get 20-21 highway I'd love it.

What color is the interior in your Pathfinder? My daughter's friend has a new black Pathfinder (tricked out wiht 20's, grill, etc.) and it's really sweet. As I recall the Pathfinders are made at the Tennesee plant. The fit and finish seemed really good and it's a nice looking ride!

Mike Up
10-23-2005, 09:42 PM
Good read- welcome to the boards!

I've been eyeing the Pathfinder's brother, the new Frontier in a 4x4. I need a decent commuter vehicle, and I also need a truck. I've been checking out the Tacoma, the Ridgeline, and the Frontier and the Nissan seems to have the best bang for the buck without question. Have you had yours long enough to gauge your mpg? If I could get 20-21 highway I'd love it.

What color is the interior in your Pathfinder? My daughter's friend has a new black Pathfinder (tricked out wiht 20's, grill, etc.) and it's really sweet. As I recall the Pathfinders are made at the Tennesee plant. The fit and finish seemed really good and it's a nice looking ride!

My interior is black or charcoal, and I have silver accents on the dash and doors. Looks very sharp.

I don't do a lot of expressway driving but I do a lot of mixed driving to work. The Titan average 13.2 mpg on this trip and my Pathfinder is getting 17.5 mpg, a gain of over 4 mpg.

City driving, the Titan was getting about 12 mpg. The Pathfinder is getting 15 mpg. A gain of 3 mpg.

While these gains don't sound like much, they do put a wider spread between the 2 than their ratings show. Titan was 14 city/18 highway and Pathfinder was 15 city/21 highway. The Pathfinder's savings in mpg will add up to roughly an $85/month savings for me. That is quite huge IMO, and makes up for the trade in loss on the Titan.

I can't really describe just how much I like it over the Titan. I was having problems with the Titan the first week of ownership, with bad electronics and rattles. Pathfinder has been quiet and trouble free so far, knock on wood. :)

Have a good one.

Mike Up
10-23-2005, 11:46 PM
Think I may have found a reason why the X pulls 1000 lbs less than Frontier and Pathfinder. It uses a lower rear end gear ratio of 3.13:1 on it's 4X4 models and 2.94:1 on it's 4X2 models. Frontier and Pathfinder use 3.36:1 on their 4X4 models and 3.13:1 on their 4X2 models.

With Titans, the standard gear ratio of 2.94:1 is used on standard 4X4s and 4X2s but the higher ratio of 3.36:1 was used on the Off Road models and Big Tow models. Also looks like the transmissions on the Titans use the same gearing ratios as do the Pathfinder. The Titan's transmission gears are only .01:1 lower than the Pathfinder/Frontier. Either it's a discrempancy from Car and Driver or the Titan does use a different transmission.

Looks like the better ratios are on the Frontier and Pathfinders side.

I would had thought the gearing would had been the same on the X. Guess they wanted higher fuel economy to compete with the smaller ute class.

BTW, from Car and Driver, looks like I'm really not giving up much performance at all downsizing to the Pathfinder. Pathfinder SE Off Road 4X4 had a 7.5 second 0 - 60 mph and 1/4 mile result of 15.9 seconds. The Titan Crew Cab SE 4X4 with Off Road package had 7.2 seconds 0 - 60 mph and a 1/4 mile result of 15.7 seconds. IMO, that difference was from the much higher torque to weight ratio as once the Pathfinder is going, it feels faster than the Titan.

Have a good one.

ggeorgie
10-24-2005, 04:58 AM
Great info, thanks and welcome ;)