More ABS/near brake failure problems [Archive] - Nissan Armada Forum: Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums

: More ABS/near brake failure problems

SCOTTINATLANTA
06-02-2006, 01:28 AM
I have had numerous episodes like those described in the thread "bad ABS on Armada". Everything is going well and I am traveling at low speed and step on the brakes and hear a terrible grinding sound coming from the brakes in addition to a spring like sound and a significant reduction in braking power. This continues until I pull off the road and shut off the engine and then start it back up and the brakes work fine. This has happen to myself and to my wife at least 15-20 times. (2004 Armada)

We took the car to the dealer in Roswell, GA several times. The first few times the answer was that they can't find anything wrong. Several weeks ago we took it in for the same issue and were told the same thing, but this time the brake problem recurred on the way home. We called the dealer and they drove to my car and picked it up and left me with a loner. Now they had the car running with the problem so I thought great now we can get this fixed!!!

They determined that the ABS actuator circuit was open and therefore replaced the ABS actuator. Great problem fixed, at least for 3 weeks. Same brake issues occurs again this week. Brought it back to the dealer and the answer I get is "Can't find any problem". I can't understand this response at all!!! It is the same problem as before!! The fix did not work!!!!

There seem to have been several people experiecing the same issues. Any thoughts or contacts so I can point these guys in the right direction??

If this were my dealership my answer would have been that I'm going to start replacing every piece of the braking system 1 at a time until we get it right. This is a real safety issue!!

BlakSpyda
06-02-2006, 09:44 AM
Nissan Consumer Affairs. They will give you some satisfaction.

Nissan Consumer Affairs
P.O. Box 191
Gardena, CA 90248
(800) NISSAN-1 (or 800-647-7261)
9:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m. Eastern / Central Time
8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. Pacific Time
Monday through Friday

92TripleBlack
06-02-2006, 10:42 AM
I don't know about several people. From what I've read, you are number 2. However, where brakes are concerned, 2 is too many. If you have been in 3 times, I'd lemon, get a new one with the new brake components, and probably (99%) without the problem you are experiencing. It sounds like it is such a rare problem, they don't know what it is. ABS acutator bad might be it, but why is it going bad? Is there something frying it higher up the food chain? Gives you a chance to get a newer rattle free rig at the same time. ;)

Campfamily
06-02-2006, 10:43 AM
Find a new dealer. This problem has been reported before, and has been fixed (at least, according to posts on this forum). Nissan Consumer Affairs is a joke, they won't do anything to help you, only stall you. If a new dealer can't fix it, call an attorney that specializes in lemon law cases, and replace your 04 with an 06, like I did.

Keith

PS - Nissan Corporate is no longer in California, they moved east, to Tennessee I think.

92TripleBlack
06-02-2006, 10:48 AM
Good Point. Only about half of the dealers have good repair guys. I'm lucky enough to have 4 in the general area. Good luck!

BlakSpyda
06-02-2006, 10:55 AM
Find a new dealer. This problem has been reported before, and has been fixed (at least, according to posts on this forum). Nissan Consumer Affairs is a joke, they won't do anything to help you, only stall you. If a new dealer can't fix it, call an attorney that specializes in lemon law cases, and replace your 04 with an 06, like I did.

Keith

PS - Nissan Corporate is no longer in California, they moved east, to Tennessee I think.
I agree about finding a new dealer, but consumer affairs should be able to solve some situations. They do not want bad press.
The toll free number is still good even if they have moved.

Campfamily
06-02-2006, 06:21 PM
I agree about finding a new dealer, but consumer affairs should be able to solve some situations. They do not want bad press.
The toll free number is still good even if they have moved.

Nissan Consumer Affairs will do nothing for you. I know, I have tried them, both on my first Armada, and on my Maxima, when I had a warranty issue. They pretend to listen, assign you a case number, and you don't hear a thing back from them. Then, you call them back, leave lots of messages, if you're lucky, they'll call back. Nissan has not made its reputation on customer service; if it weren't for the fact that their cars are so good, I wouldn't be a Nissan owner.

Keith

BlakSpyda
06-02-2006, 08:25 PM
Well damn! I'm sorry to hear that. I never had the opportunity to call them, but thought I was passing on some good info.

SO, SCOTTINATLANTA, here you have input from a few mambers saying that Consumer Affairs is a waste of time.

Sorry if I gave you false hope!:damn:

deryck67
06-10-2006, 10:52 AM
I just had the SAME isue this morning. Out of the blue, with my two kids in the car. What is the most concerning is that I must use the same dealer as you becuase there is only one in Roswell that I know of. Now I am not sure what to do. I have had two recalls on this car already (2004) and now this.

92TripleBlack
06-10-2006, 09:16 PM
I just had the SAME isue this morning. Out of the blue, with my two kids in the car. What is the most concerning is that I must use the same dealer as you becuase there is only one in Roswell that I know of. Now I am not sure what to do. I have had two recalls on this car already (2004) and now this.
Its a first year truck. All first year vehicles stink. You get one from any maker with full knowledge it will be back several times. This is why I got a second year vehicle. (In the Sequoia case, you needed a 4th year). So, bring it in, get it fixed. If they can't fix it in 3 visits, lemon and get a new one. Sorry, but that's the way it is. Just ask any '99 Grand Cherokee owner, etc. The only thing that surprises me is the surprise of others. :crikey:

Eugene Onyeji
06-13-2006, 12:24 AM
I just went through some brake problems also. I bought an '05 Armada May last year. Of late, when I step on my brakes my steering wheel will begin to vibrate terribly. Thought I needed to change my brake pads. Went to my Dealer and was informed that Nissan was fixing such problems under warranty. I collected my truck after 4 hours. It now brakes smoothly without any vibration. Would someone please tell me what else Nissan is fixing under warranty before my warranty runs out. I don't have to wait for such problems to occur before going for to the Dealer.

ggeorgie
06-13-2006, 11:38 AM
I just went through some brake problems also. I bought an '05 Armada May last year. Of late, when I step on my brakes my steering wheel will begin to vibrate terribly. Thought I needed to change my brake pads. Went to my Dealer and was informed that Nissan was fixing such problems under warranty. I collected my truck after 4 hours. It now brakes smoothly without any vibration. Would someone please tell me what else Nissan is fixing under warranty before my warranty runs out. I don't have to wait for such problems to occur before going for to the Dealer.

It seems you like the truck and you want to keep it, why not buy an extended service warranty before you warranty runs out, if not here is the Nissan TSB http://www.nissanhelp.com/Bulletins/Armada/Year.htm :cool:

AZARMADA
06-24-2006, 07:23 PM
This happened to me last night. I drove to work and all was fine. Just as I was pulling out on my way home, there was the judder and the pump on the brake peddle. The brake light also came on. I drove to the dealer (2 miles away) left it there for them to get started on it 1st thing this morning. The told me there was a TSB for the software for the ABS system. That was updated and my Armada returned. Only 25 miles but so far so good.

pathfinder19
09-16-2006, 08:02 PM
the same thing happened to me today while exiting the highway...brake light came on, little or no braking power and a shudder in the breaks...pulled car off road turned off to check under hood and did not find anything out of the ordinary. Started the vehicle and no brake problems all the way to closest dealer.

Dealer stated that the VDC needed to be reprogramed....and there was a TSB for this....TSB my A$$...should be a recall to update everyones computer.

Pops
10-17-2007, 04:09 PM
add me to the list. Happened last night so I drove it straight to the dealer. Exact same thing you all are describing... Happened two months ago and they couldn't reproduce/find the problem because I had turned it off.

Of course now I'm out of warranty but they said it was a "software reset" or something like that, I don't know. They should have been able to read the error code so I'll post that when I return. Should be done in a few hrs...

Selling Real Estate is hard without a vehicle... :(

After I fix that it's on to my power liftgate/people-crusher feature.

This thread is really old. I'm pretty sure there's newer threads that should have the documented fixes.

lurker
10-17-2007, 05:54 PM
This thread is really old. I'm pretty sure there's newer threads that should have the documented fixes.

Yeah, I searched and this appeared the most recent (at least for the keywords I used) and didn't want to clutter up the boards with another one. (I very well could have missed other new ones...).

Regardless, it had to be reprogrammed. Here's what they put on the documentation.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Cust states brake light on and grinding brakes.

Reprogrammed VDC System with updated part.

Found code C1179 stored in ABS control unit. Found bulletin NTB06-040 applies to vehicle. Reprogrammed VDC.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

So...$100....and I'm back on the road. Coulda been a lot worse ($$$). Oh, got a free car wash out of it. ;)

They said (unlike 60 days ago when it happended) that since this fix was taken care of knowing the code that it won't happen again. (we'll see...)

Pops
10-17-2007, 05:57 PM
It's good to have it on this thread too because searching for brakes and code are the only way that I could find them. If you do a search for C1179, you'll see what I mean.

sabro
10-17-2007, 08:43 PM
i have the same problem with mine, its an 04. Thats way I join ca for help.
great stuff in here tho.

LVArmada
10-19-2007, 03:58 AM
My Wife was driving the Armada(2005) and everything was fine. She stopped at the park and went for a jog with the baby. When she got in to drive the brake warning light was on and the brakes were junk. Lets just say the phone call I got while at work was not good. I contacted Douglas Nissan in Henderson NV. and they were waiting for her when she arrived. They got the car into the shop and paid for a rental. When I picked it up the rep told me they had to re-flash the control module. I asked him if turning the car off and on whould reset it if this happens in the future and he said that is correct that it would reset and the brakes would be OK. Other than my wife freeeking out and almost wrecking on the way to the Dealer I guess my experience with Nissan was good.
My question is, should I expect this to be a problem in th future or a one time deal???
Thanks
LVArmada

keala
10-19-2007, 04:32 AM
this also happened to me. i got so upset i just wanted to get rid of this think. i ahve a few small problems, but this shouldn't be happening. i have a 3 yea old, newborn, and a wife. we all were in the car when it happened. iwe stopped and turned off the car. i figured maybe let the rotors cool off while we ate something. when i started it up everything was fine. i hope it wont happen again

lurker
10-22-2007, 08:12 PM
My Wife was driving the Armada(2005)........ My question is, should I expect this to be a problem in th future or a one time deal???
Thanks
LVArmada

From what I understand if they know the error code they can program it so it won't happen again. Not sure I believe this 100%, but that's what they told me when I drove it in there while the brake problem was happening. (I had a tech hop in and drive around the lot so they could see first hand what the symptoms were...)

Chad Jacobs
02-08-2008, 01:43 PM
Hello everyone - first of all I am new to the forum. I read the comments from Scottinatlanta and will say that we are experiencing similiar if not the same problems. I have a 04 Armada SE. We are experiencing problems when trying to brake the pedal will go straight to the floor with little to no hesitation. The ABS light does not come on however the BRAKE light comes on. Of-course if you shut off the truck and turn it back on the problem goes away. We have already gone through the recall and according to Nissan my brakes looks good. Not being able to stop, with my kids in the car, absolutely freaked my wife out. Not cool. So, as i type this I am sitting in Nissan service listening to them tell me they can't find anything codes, problems, etc. At what point will they start replacing the braking system? What about warranty? I am out of warranty. I love the truck but really frustrated right now..

Pops
02-08-2008, 01:59 PM
Welcome to the Club!!!

Post #13 has the best answer I've seen.
This happened to me last night. I drove to work and all was fine. Just as I was pulling out on my way home, there was the judder and the pump on the brake peddle. The brake light also came on. I drove to the dealer (2 miles away) left it there for them to get started on it 1st thing this morning. They told me there was a TSB for the software for the ABS system. That was updated and my Armada returned. Only 25 miles but so far so good.

Chad Jacobs
02-08-2008, 02:09 PM
Appreciate the information. Believe it or not the service guy mentioned a computer update prior to you showing me post 13, so maybe the service guy knows a little - well i wont give them to much credit yet.

Pops
02-08-2008, 02:13 PM
LOL - I think those codes might clear when the engine is turned off and if so then it's harder to troubleshoot. The second plan of action is usually to search TSB's for any known issues. We've also found that just because a TSB is listed for a different year doesn't mean yours can't be affected.

Keep us updated. :thumbup:

BlakSpyda
02-08-2008, 02:15 PM
Welcome to the club Chad Jacobs!

Armada Chick
02-08-2008, 02:29 PM
I have the same year and model as you do, and had the same EXACT problem. It is very scary, let me tell ya! After the computer update, all has been well :) that was months ago.

joedosa
02-09-2008, 03:06 AM
we've been having the same problem also.. happened to us 5-6 times over the years.. the last one was a couple months back.. does anyone have the TSB reference number? and would this TSB offer us a free fix on this issue? thanks.

KuwlArmada
02-09-2008, 01:39 PM
Here is the TSB for the 2004 Armada: NTB00-033d

coleman
03-22-2008, 09:41 PM
My wife called me crying about that the brakes made a terrible noise and the brake light came on. When she got home I checked the Armada and of course no brake light on and no problem. Guess I'll be at the dealer Monday morning.

joedosa
03-22-2008, 10:17 PM
^ ya, it was quite alarming the first few times it happened to us.. now that we've figured out that we just need to restart the engine while in Neutral, it really isn't a big deal anymore.. but nissan really should do a recall on this issue though..

BlakSpyda
03-22-2008, 10:23 PM
That was the same issue that I have been talking about. It has happened to me three times in two years. The brakes still work when it happens, but you gotta pull of the road to reboot your truck!

Rumplecat
03-23-2008, 11:46 AM
I had this same problem and the dealer replaced the ABS module under warranty and I have no problems since about 2 years. But the cost of it was $1100 on my paper work.

BlakSpyda
03-23-2008, 01:41 PM
ABS Module... huhn!?

Thanks! It's now on my list for the next visit!

coleman
03-26-2008, 09:10 PM
My wife called me crying about that the brakes made a terrible noise and the brake light came on. When she got home I checked the Armada and of course no brake light on and no problem. Guess I'll be at the dealer Monday morning.

Got my Armada back from the dealer today and here are the results.

Ran consult and code C1179 set for delta sensor set in ABS.
SOLUTION: Reprogrammed VDC control unit.
COST: $0.00

joedosa
03-28-2008, 01:33 PM
^ was this under warranty or w/o?

ksholder
03-28-2008, 04:42 PM
but you gotta pull of the road to reboot your truck!

Sypda - I did not know that Bill Gates owned Nissan :D . I have had this problem once in the year/30,000 miles I have owned the truck. It does get your attention, but I take comfort in the fact that the brakes still work and the problem is easily fixed by a "reboot" of the truck. It is good to know that there is a TSB. If my problem recurrs, I may use the TSB to try to get a new version of "Windows Armada".

BlakSpyda
03-28-2008, 05:09 PM
Being in the IT industry for the past ten years has don it to me! Smack it or reboot, whichever works tha best! :D

coleman
03-28-2008, 06:19 PM
^ was this under warranty or w/o?
Yes it was.

norcal05SE
03-30-2008, 06:05 PM
perfect! this is what happened to mine last week. i gotta get to the dealer now. if my rig has 37k on it, i'm not covered, am i? thanks guys!

heres an entirely different problem. this has happened twice now, its weird. has no effect on the braking performance of the rig, but its annoying. whwen i hit the pedal i hear a mechanical clicking sound from under the dash somewhere, almost sounds like its behind the glovebox. it makes the sound when you push down on the pedal and when you let it back up. its not in the same location as the pedal itself, otherwise i'd think the spring was getting caught up or something; its coming from the other side of the dash. it sounds kinda like a servo or relay is clicking on and off. no brake lights or anything on the dash. it will happen a few times, then go away. it was doing it in a traffic jam the other day and was driving me nuts!!! any help?

ksholder
03-31-2008, 08:27 AM
norcal05SE - I have the same clicking in my 04LE. I assume, we all know where that word can lead, that the clicking, which I guess is coming from under the console near the front, is part of the brake switch. I have not tracked this down as it does not appear to be causing any issues, but I only hear the noise when the truck is stopped.

ntrddragn
03-31-2008, 02:10 PM
ok...i just got a brake issue this morning...was driving kids to my mom's house at low speed came to stop apply the brakes then all of a sudden i heard a kaplunk..sound like my brake fell off...since my mom was like half a mile away...i drove it until i got to her house...on the way i had to apply the brakes...it slow down but it of shudder when the brake is almost fully depress...i just turn the car off and borrow her car so i can get to work. So am i experiecing the so call ABS issue here? so when i go back home and restart my car it should be solve? or should get my booty to the stealership? :mad:

BlakSpyda
03-31-2008, 02:28 PM
It should be fine when you start it back up.

ntrddragn
03-31-2008, 02:41 PM
ok..thanks spydie...woohoo..i have made my first 100th post. never made 100 post in any forum...not even 20 let alone 100...:D greatest site ever!!!! sorry got carried away there...:D

ssimon
05-08-2008, 12:45 PM
Have had this happen a few times on my Mada 04. Took it in the dealer today for a service and asked them to fix this (i.e. reprogram it). They want to charge me $150 for it:mad: . Should I get this done, if a simple reboot fixes this everytime? They also said they may need to change the brake booster to fix this issue??? More $$$....

Pops
05-08-2008, 12:50 PM
I'd call around to other dealers, the reflash should be sufficient because it has fixed this issue for several people including Titan owners and I don't recall anyone needing a booster or any other controlling hardware replaced yet.

_2005arvada_
10-04-2008, 04:50 PM
hey guys... this looks like an old thread but i have been going thru the same brake issue with my 05!

The issue first happened around 25-30k. I asked the dealer to check it out and got the "unable to reproduce issue" and the keys back in my hand. Then it happened more frequently around 50k, and took it back. they said this time it was a master cylinder. they did a "good will" warranty repair so it didnt cost me anything.

its lasted about 3 weeks before the same issue happened again! so i reported it again. and again with the "unable to reproduce".

im wondering if more people have experienced this since 2006?

thanks,
Arvada

ch47d99
10-04-2008, 11:49 PM
My 2006 is having the problem now. A dealer in one state diagnosed it as the ABS actuator. I had to move before they could get the part in to replace it so they gave me the printout to take to another dealership who refuses to replace the component until they can duplicate it (not to mention the service manager at the new dealership said it is an expensive part to replace, the real reason). Nissan customer service is a complete joke as they gave me the same runaround. I meet with my legal office on Tue to get a letter to deliver to the dealer as a first shot across Nissan's bow if you will in what might turn into a lawsuit over this policy. I will keep all posted here on what that resolves. I think the "drive it until it happens again at a time you can bring it to the dealer" is a crock of #$%@ when it comes to brakes on a vehicle. The TSB did not work in my case. It seems to me that for some of these issues it might take one or more of these fixes to eliminate this issue: 1) reflash, 2) new ABS actuator, 3) new brake boost actuator, and/or 4) new sensors associated with that brake boost actuator.

BlakSpyda
10-05-2008, 07:14 PM
Welcomr to CA _2005arvada_!

ch47d99's post is on point!

ch47d99
10-27-2008, 11:06 PM
Update for my situation:
Based on my complaints to the BBB Auto Line and the State Attorney General's office, Nissan sent an engineer to meet with me on my Armada brake issue at a different Nissan dealer in my area. Low and behold, the engineer sided with me and agreed to replace the ABS actuator and the boost actuator based on the original dealership's findings. I was very satisfied with the engineer and the servicing dealer. They focused on customer satisfaction and looking to fix a potential safety issue. I still have serious issue with Nissan's consumer affairs section and the original local dealership who would not see reason regarding this issue and forced me to go the BBB route. This could have and should have been handled without all the drama/publicity months ago.

BlakSpyda
10-27-2008, 11:17 PM
Hopefully this will settle it for you at least ch47d99. If you get any documentation that you can share on here, please do.

Clcdet
11-21-2008, 07:16 PM
I've been dealing with the same issues on my 05 Armada. ABS is coming on when it should not. Feels like I'm trying to stop on the ice when there is no ice. Sometimes the slip light goes on. I loose brakes. Funny because this happened after driving 3 highway hrs, turning vehicle off for aprox 45mins or so then when I started the truck again I had no brakes to back out of the driveway slowly. I get that I have to restart the vehicle but I had just started it? And do I have to restart in Neutral someone said? But here's my question: Does anyone see a direct collation to the tire pressure light going on after driving at least 30mins or so on the highway, then the ABS going on at somepoint thereafter? It seems I have two problems. Tire pressure warning and ABS. Also I have replaced the struts because of steering wheel shaking and truck jumping all over when driving over bumps. Two hands required firmly on wheel at all times! Struts seemed to fix problem but at the time the dealer said struts not covered under warranty so I paid outside mechanic but now I show struts should have been covered with Security Plus Gold Preferred warranty. Huge safety issue. I live in NY and I drive w/kids (not just my own!!!) I need those brakes to be dependable. I Need to resolve this issue before something bad happens. Thanks for the tons of info! Great site. Cindy

BlakSpyda
11-21-2008, 09:13 PM
Welcome to Club Armada Clcdet!

The ABS module needs to be flashed/reset. The dealer needs to do it, unless you know someone with the equipment that can do it. Check you fluid level also to make sure that is not a problem.

armadadd
11-21-2008, 10:04 PM
Welcome to CA...great to have another NY person here..defenitely need the brakes fix specially with all the cabbies in the city.

KidGlok
12-19-2008, 01:28 PM
the abs motor will kick in and you will hear the springy like sound, the ABS computer needs to be flashed, u have to wait untill the problem occurs and when it happenes the BRAKE light stays on, this is when you must take it to the dealer or else no codes will show with the light off, then they will reflash the abs control unit and u will be fine. Hope this helps.