Tire Pressure Monitoring System [Archive] - Nissan Armada Forum: Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums

: Tire Pressure Monitoring System

scr38
03-28-2007, 12:50 PM
There has been a lot of discussion (and some mis-information) about the TPMS on our vehicles. I hope this will shed some light on the subjuct.

Each of the four tires on the ground has a pressure sensor in it. There is no sensor in the spare; the system can "read" only four sensors. This sensor is built into the tire valve stem. Each sensor sends a pressure signal by radio to a receiver in the dash, the same one that receives the keyless entry system signal. These signals are then sent the the Body Control Module (BCM). The BCM controls the low tire pressure warning light and buzzer.

If the TPMS system receives a low pressure signal from one or more wheel sensors the light and buzzer will go off. If the system is not receiving 4 signals from the sensors it indicates a system problem and only the light goes on.
Contrary to what others have posted, you can't turn the system off.

In fact, there are Federal laws concerning this:

Congress passed the Transportation Recall Enhancement, Accountability and Documentation (TREAD) Act in the fall of 2000. This requires a warning system to indicate under inflated tires.
Automakers had to be 70% compliant by September 1, 2006 and 100% compliant by September 1, 2007. (Section 13 of the TREAD Act).

By Federal law (49 U.S.C. 30122(b) the TPMS system can't be bypassed:

"A manufacturer, distributor, dealer, or motor vehicle repair business may no knowingly make inoperative any part of a device or element of design installed on or in a motor vehicle or motor vehicle equipment in compliance with an applicable motor vehicle safety standard prescribed under this chapter..."

It is not against this law to remove sensors yourself, but a shop could refuse to work on any vehicle that violates this law.

Many of the larger tire stores now stock the sensors and repair parts. The car makers seem to be setting a standard for the sensors, so most will interchange. The tire stores also have the programmer to activate the sensors.

The TPMS is a good thing. It could save you a wheel, tire, prevent an accident or even save your life. I urge everyone to keep the system intact. If you get new wheels, install sensors in them.

If any sensor other than the ones that came on the vehicle are used, they must be programmed to your vehicle. You can move sensors from your original wheels to new wheels without having to reprogram them.
Also, it is not necessary to reprogram sensors when the four tires on the ground are rotated. You don't use the spare in the rotation since there is no sensor in it.
I hope this answers questions about the TPMS.

esMada
03-28-2007, 04:40 PM
I agree with you 100% scr38.... it is one safety feature I love having in my truck. and since I have a Nav. it displays this warning everytime I start the vehicle until I inflate the tires back to the proper pressure.

Bcrowell
03-29-2007, 08:21 AM
I have a question regarding TPMS and aftermarket rims.
How are the sensors programmed? Do they have to remove the tires from the rims?
My question relates to the purchase of Infinity QX takeoffs or other aftermarket used rims with the sensors installed.

Chris03HD
03-29-2007, 09:28 AM
Such a great system.... to bad it cant tell you what damn tire is which on the display!

GM (*gasp*) even shows a LF RF / LR RR on their displays..

92TripleBlack
03-29-2007, 10:53 AM
Good post scr38.

bmfsapper
03-29-2007, 11:01 AM
I have a question regarding TPMS and aftermarket rims.
How are the sensors programmed? Do they have to remove the tires from the rims?
My question relates to the purchase of Infinity QX takeoffs or other aftermarket used rims with the sensors installed.

My Brother has some aftermarket rims on his Titan and got old ones installed in them and no reprograming was needed but that might have been a special case dont really know if is same for all. anyone?
The only issue he had was that the istallers were:clueless: :airhead: and damaged 2 of them in the process. Now we are putting on two from a Mada and will post what was need to get full function. Well actually bill be using info posted by SCR38.

Mada300z
03-29-2007, 04:57 PM
Such a great system.... to bad it cant tell you what damn tire is which on the display!

GM (*gasp*) even shows a LF RF / LR RR on their displays..

I would have to give the vote to Nissan on this one. It is a little more of a PIA to find the problem but when it shows up you don't just put air in the one tire (GM) but you have to test them all to find the low one. Makes for an all around safer system.

Chris03HD
03-29-2007, 05:01 PM
I dont agree with that statement at all.

Id like to know WHAT tire to add air to, if the other 3 are reading correctly.

Unless you can eye ball the difference between 33psi and 36psi, Nissan should have followed GM's lead.

Mada300z
03-29-2007, 05:18 PM
I dont agree with that statement at all.

Id like to know WHAT tire to add air to, if the other 3 are reading correctly.

Unless you can eye ball the difference between 33psi and 36psi, Nissan should have followed GM's lead. By checking I mean with a guage of course.

You are certanly entitled to your opinion however if that system told my wife which tire to add air to she would never even check the other ones until told to do so. If there was something wrong with the other sensors she would never even think to look at the other tires. Since the Mada is her daily not mine it's safer for me this way. Hell, she can't even remember to get the oil changed and the sticker is right in front of her face. Having to check all of the tires means looking at all of the tires and maybe even seeing other problems like treadware, missing lugs or sidewall damage. I just think its a good reminder to check them all while your out there and you might find something you were'nt looking for. I certainly don't need the TPMS on my 93Z but she's not alowed to drive that.

esMada
03-29-2007, 05:33 PM
My Brother has some aftermarket rims on his Titan and got old ones installed in them and no reprograming was needed but that might have been a special case dont really know if is same for all. anyone?
The only issue he had was that the istallers were:clueless: :airhead: and damaged 2 of them in the process. Now we are putting on two from a Mada and will post what was need to get full function. Well actually bill be using info posted by SCR38.

When I put after market rims on my Armada, the tire shop took the sensors off my stock wheels and put them on the new ones. The light came on and they told me to drive it around the block and it would turn off..... it did.

BTW, I agree that it would be nice to know exactly which wheel is low but since it is not this way, I feel safer checking them all. It's actually a good reminder for me to check my tire pressure.

Chris03HD
03-29-2007, 06:08 PM
I do agree with some of what you said now, but honestly I guess I am lucky that my wife knows her Armada inside and out, and how everything supposed to work. Its her truck to haul the kids around in, and I feel much better knowing she got her head on straight when it comes to mantaining her truck.

By checking I mean with a guage of course.

You are certanly entitled to your opinion however if that system told my wife which tire to add air to she would never even check the other ones until told to do so. If there was something wrong with the other sensors she would never even think to look at the other tires. Since the Mada is her daily not mine it's safer for me this way. Hell, she can't even remember to get the oil changed and the sticker is right in front of her face. Having to check all of the tires means looking at all of the tires and maybe even seeing other problems like treadware, missing lugs or sidewall damage. I just think its a good reminder to check them all while your out there and you might find something you were'nt looking for. I certainly don't need the TPMS on my 93Z but she's not alowed to drive that.

norcaloffroad
03-30-2007, 01:21 AM
:hi: I think it's a poor design on Nissan's part. I had my Armada in the shop 6 times over a 4 month period trying to get Nissan to figure out why I had the tire pressure light come on. I kept checking tire pressures and everything checked out fine. I then took the Armada to a tire shop and had them check out all four tires and they found nothing wrong. Well Nissan never found anything wrong until the sixth time I brought it in! Everytime I brought it in they said they have a device that they walk up to each tire and check the sensors and all the sensors checked out. The 6th time it was in, they magically found out the right front tire sensor was bad. A well designed tire pressure monitoring system that indicates which tire would have saved me a not only a few bucks, but a whole lot of time and frustration!

goldsman
08-06-2007, 01:34 AM
Inasmuch as the spare is a full size tire and is the same as the four on the ground I'd like to include it in my tire rotations, at least for the first set of tires. This way I'll get 20% more mileage before having to replace a set of tires. But I don't want to have to physically move the TPS from rim to rim as I put a different tire in the spare location with each rotation. To experiment I did the first rotation putting the spare on one of the four corners and rotated one of the original, on-the-ground tires to the spare location. Now the system only reads the three tires on the ground with sensors (and give the visual warning, which I ignore).

My question -- can I just add a sensor to the wheel that started life as a spare and have just it programmed or will I have to have the sensors reprogrammed each time I rotate tires? Anyone know?

Thanks,
Louis

scr38
08-06-2007, 04:39 PM
Inasmuch as the spare is a full size tire and is the same as the four on the ground I'd like to include it in my tire rotations, at least for the first set of tires. This way I'll get 20% more mileage before having to replace a set of tires. But I don't want to have to physically move the TPS from rim to rim as I put a different tire in the spare location with each rotation. To experiment I did the first rotation putting the spare on one of the four corners and rotated one of the original, on-the-ground tires to the spare location. Now the system only reads the three tires on the ground with sensors (and give the visual warning, which I ignore).

My question -- can I just add a sensor to the wheel that started life as a spare and have just it programmed or will I have to have the sensors reprogrammed each time I rotate tires? Anyone know?

Thanks,
Louis
It will work, but will be a lot of trouble. The system will recognize only four sensors. So each time you used the spare in the rotation you would need to have the sensors re-registered.
The wheel sensors transmit only when the wheel is rotating (above about 5 MPH), so the extra sensor in the spare would not transmit and cause a problem, but would have to be activated when put on the ground.

goldsman
08-10-2007, 09:18 PM
Thanks for your input. In the mean time, I went ahead and installed a sensor in the wheel that was the spare (now located at the left rear). Without it being programmed the system continured to read just three wheels, as expected. But an interesting thing happened when I took the car into the dealer to have the new sensor activated. They told me that from top to bottom on the LCD display the system reads in this order: FL, FR, RR, LR (e. g., it starts at the left front and goes around the car clockwise). But the diagnostic readout, before they programmed the new sensor showed my right rear sensor was malfunctioning. The right rear would be consistent with my display that showed the 3rd reading from the top missing. But the new senor was on the left rear! In any event, I now have four functioning wheel pressure sensors. I'll wait until the next tire rotation to see what happens when one of the four on the ground is replaced by the current spare (which has a sensor). I'll let everyone know the results.

Louis

TanK1
08-11-2007, 01:53 AM
Great information, you're right about most wheel shops having the knowledge about the sensors. I went with my buddy to a wheel shop 2 weeks ago so he can purchase some 22"s for his Titan. They swapped the valve stems and placed them in the 22"s. He didn't have to reprogram either. His wheels look good by the way.

stikystikyricky
08-25-2007, 07:41 AM
Same here.. I took my to discount and forgot to even mention it. The lights were off and turned on just the other day.. 3 months later.. loll but im sure it just needs air!

scotty52
07-21-2008, 08:15 AM
Don't know if everyone knows this, but there is a service campaign bulletin #PB031 on 07 titan and armadas for the TPMS sensors. It states that some 07 models were fitted with the previous year madel sensors that cause the indicator to go off when tire pressure is not low. If anyone is having problems check it out on nissanhelp.com

jcorvair
02-24-2009, 03:01 PM
So does this mean the new TPMS sensors I bought from Shuck's may not work for my '06 Armada? They say they are for that year, but I think they list other years as well for those same sensors. They are made by Schrader-Bridgeport so I assumed they would be fine as long as they transmit on the correct frequency. I guess time will tell if I have to take it back to the tire shop for re-initialization after initial reprogramming.

BlakSpyda
02-24-2009, 03:59 PM
If they are not the sensors that came with the vehicle, the dealer must reprogram them.

jcorvair
02-24-2009, 05:38 PM
Thanks Eric,

That was my plan, but the post about 2006 sensors not working with a 2007 vehicle suggested some incompatability. There is more than meets the eye as they say. I'll take my wheels and new sensors to Fountain Tire and get them to reprogram the computer to the new sensors. Stay tuned.

BlakSpyda
02-24-2009, 08:49 PM
Ooops, My Bad!:o

I just pinged on the issue, not the fact that it was a possibleincompatabilty. Oh well, I hope it works out.

As a side note, the sensors I installed were from Courtesy parts.

The PN for the 2007 is 40700-TA60001
The PN for 2006 and below is 40700-TA60002.

jcorvair
02-25-2009, 03:24 PM
Thanks for the info. It looks like the SE and LE in '06 used the two different ones listed by Eric. I talked to my wife (I'm still in Chile) and she checked the sensors I bought and they appear to match the ones listed by Courtesy for 2005+ SE, so hopefully I am good to go.

Cheers

bosssho
05-11-2009, 10:40 PM
This question is for my girlfriend's 07 Armada LE, but it's applicable to my G35 and Sierra Denali...I cannot stand having to dismount and remount tires (and paying for that each season costs far more than seperate wheels) so on all our vehicles I have Winter and Three Season Wheels/Tires.

My question is this...For the 2nd Set of Tires/Wheels, The Winter ones...Is it possible to have a 2nd set of TPMS sensors installed that will work, once programmed? Right now the TPMS Light is on all winter and then when the 3 season wheels go back on the lights go out.

So...I know this means the sensors stay programmed to teh vehicles...but...would that change if I had a rotating set of wheels/tires with different sensors amoung them....Even if they were all programmed for thier applicable vehcile, IE, if the Aramada came with 18" wheels and sensors thare are programmed for it, but we run Titan Wheels in the Winter and get sensors for those wheels and have the dealer program them, will all 8 sensors constantly work, or will I have to have the damn things reprogrammed every Winter and Spring?

Thanks all.:bow:

goldsman
05-12-2009, 04:18 AM
This question is for my girlfriend's 07 Armada LE, but it's applicable to my G35 and Sierra Denali...I cannot stand having to dismount and remount tires (and paying for that each season costs far more than seperate wheels) so on all our vehicles I have Winter and Three Season Wheels/Tires.

My question is this...For the 2nd Set of Tires/Wheels, The Winter ones...Is it possible to have a 2nd set of TPMS sensors installed that will work, once programmed? Right now the TPMS Light is on all winter and then when the 3 season wheels go back on the lights go out.

So...I know this means the sensors stay programmed to teh vehicles...but...would that change if I had a rotating set of wheels/tires with different sensors amoung them....Even if they were all programmed for thier applicable vehcile, IE, if the Aramada came with 18" wheels and sensors thare are programmed for it, but we run Titan Wheels in the Winter and get sensors for those wheels and have the dealer program them, will all 8 sensors constantly work, or will I have to have the damn things reprogrammed every Winter and Spring?

Thanks all.:bow:
Unfortunately, the vehicle can only be tied to 4 sensors at a time. As each sensor has a unique number you'll have to have the dealer have the vehicle 'learn' each sensor each time you change any wheels.

As an alternative you can have almost any tire shop do the programming or you can do what I did, buy a TPS programming tool for about $150 at Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Autel-MaxiTPMS-TS301-Diagnostic-Monitoring/dp/B001LHXWGK/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1242115948&sr=1-10) and it won't take too many "reprogrammings" to pay for itself. I did it because I put a pressure sensor on the spare wheel so I can do 5-wheel tire rotations and I can keep the wheel locations coordinated with the in-car display as I move wheels around.

One warning - the 2006 and 2007 wheel sensors are different part numbers and are not interchangeable; I don't know about other years.

bosssho
08-17-2009, 02:49 PM
I am ordering that tool now. Meant to say thanks about this way back when.

One follow up...when you say the part numbers are different year to year...why does that matter? When using the tool are you entering the part numbers of the TPMS sensors themselves or the year of the vehicle?

goldsman
08-18-2009, 03:48 AM
I am ordering that tool now. Meant to say thanks about this way back when.

One follow up...when you say the part numbers are different year to year...why does that matter? When using the tool are you entering the part numbers of the TPMS sensors themselves or the year of the vehicle?
I'm not sure why but before I replaced the 2007 TPM with the correct 2006 TPM the display would initially show the tire pressure for that wheel, after the dealer 'reprogrammed' all sensors. But after one or two recycles of the key (starting and driving the car until I got the pressure readings then turning the car off) the display would not show pressure for that wheel. I drove the car for a year without having the pressure reading from that wheel for a year.

After I bought the tool I had the same problem. After I swapped the 2007 TPS for a 2006 TPS everything worked and has worked ever since. When I rotate tires I reprogram the sensors so I know which wheel location corresponds with the dash display without problem. Replacing the 2007 TPS with the correct 2006 TPS fixed everything -- I don't know why.

jcorvair
08-18-2009, 10:59 AM
I installed mine from Schuck's in a set of 08 Titan wheels and have had no problems. Nissan must have been playing with the computer programming from '06 to '07 on the LE. It must have to do with frequencies and what information is transmitted by each sensor.

Cheers.

bosssho
08-24-2009, 09:08 AM
10-4.

Well, my unit should be here this week. I will let you know if I run into trouble.

pistol22pete
09-23-2009, 01:18 PM
I'm switching out the tires/wheels from a 2004 to a 2006 QX56 and was wondering if I need to go to the dealer to reinitialize the TPMS sensors. The local tire shop, Discount Tire, said they have the equipment to reinitialize them but I'm not sure if thats the case. Does the dealer have to be the one to reinitialize the sensors? Not sure how this works....Also will the 2004 work with a 2006 and vice versa?

goldsman
09-24-2009, 04:26 AM
I'm switching out the tires/wheels from a 2004 to a 2006 QX56 and was wondering if I need to go to the dealer to reinitialize the TPMS sensors. The local tire shop, Discount Tire, said they have the equipment to reinitialize them but I'm not sure if thats the case. Does the dealer have to be the one to reinitialize the sensors? Not sure how this works....Also will the 2004 work with a 2006 and vice versa?
Any tire shop can reprogram the sensors. It's done with a handheld device that transmits a signal to initiate the sensor and cause the TPS to send a signal to the receiver in the car. The handheld devise will also read the signal sent from the wheel transmitter (TPS) and identify the TPS make, model, serial number and radio signal transmission frequency. As the device is used on each wheel the car system reads the signal and starting with the top place on the dash display "learns" the TPS signal and connects that signal to that line (the first) and then adds the next signal to the second and so on for the four lines on the display.
One thing I found with my handheld device, if I hold it at the valve stem the wheel will block the signal; if I hold the device between the wheel spokes, like getting behind the bottom of the valve stem, it works fine.

goldsman
09-24-2009, 04:30 AM
Forgot the last part of your question. I know that the TPS from a 2007 Armada won't work in a 2006 Armada. (It can be initially programmed but it will stop working in a day or so). I don't know about any other years (if there were changes between 2004 and 2006).

BlakSpyda
09-24-2009, 09:13 AM
Yep here they are.
http://www.courtesyparts.com/40700m-sensor-unit-tire-pressure-armada-ta60-04/2005-4wdse-off-road-2007-rdio5-04/2005-p-20670.html?cPath=1063&

http://www.courtesyparts.com/40700m-sensor-unit-tire-pressure-armada-ta60-10/2004-04/2005-4wdse-off-road-2006-modlm-2006-08/2003-04/200-p-20671.html?cPath=1063&

jcorvair
10-27-2009, 02:21 PM
I just put my snow tires and rims back on with the original TPMS sensors in them and low and behold the light did not come on, even though I had four new sensors programmed in.

I wonder if the system keeps a registry and allows for more than 4 sensors to be registerd at one time? I don't think it is a problem with the system as I had it note a tire that had dropped down to about 31 psi due to the colder weather just a couple weeks ago. I don't miss having to drop extra coin at the dealership to get them registered again.

Cheers,

9balllrook
10-27-2009, 03:22 PM
now I'm really confused, I got a set of sensors from an 04 so I would't have to break my old wheels down to sell. Will the 04 sensors work in my 06?

jcorvair
10-27-2009, 05:31 PM
Courtesy Nissan indicates that Armadas built 08/2003 to 04/2005 and the 2006 LE used the same sensor. The 2006 SE has a different part number. I understand from previous posts that they may work for a short time, but the light on the dash may come on. You should double check with your Nissan dealer to confirm.

Check out this link:

http://www.courtesyparts.com/40700m-sensor-unit-tire-pressure-armada-ta60-10/2004-04/2005-4wdse-off-road-2006-modlm-2006-08/2003-04/200-p-20671.html?cPath=1063&

Cheers,

FP
10-31-2009, 10:38 PM
now I'm really confused, I got a set of sensors from an 04 so I would't have to break my old wheels down to sell. Will the 04 sensors work in my 06?

Did you get an answer on this? I need a set for my 04, and I found a set with part number 40700CK001 that says it's for an 06 Armada.

Are the ones you have part number 40700CK002 This is the part number needed for the 2004 models?

I can buy them if you trade the 04s with me.

FP
11-06-2009, 11:49 AM
I have a question now on what TPMS sensors to use on my 2004 Mada. I now have the right part number for the 04 (40700CK002), but I just bought a set of 09 20" wheels that I plan to put in. The 09 wheels came with the sensors.

Should I use the 04 sensors on the 20" wheels, or does it make a difference that I have 20 inch wheels with different tire size tires that the OEM 04?

Your thoughts?

FP
11-13-2009, 11:00 AM
I have a question now on what TPMS sensors to use on my 2004 Mada. I now have the right part number for the 04 (40700CK002), but I just bought a set of 09 20" wheels that I plan to put in. The 09 wheels came with the sensors.

Should I use the 04 sensors on the 20" wheels, or does it make a difference that I have 20 inch wheels with different tire size tires that the OEM 04?

Your thoughts?

Anyone know?

9balllrook
11-13-2009, 11:27 AM
You need the 002's, I took mine from my stock wheels (06) and they are 001's, glad I didn't put them in I'd still have the light on.

FP
11-13-2009, 11:38 AM
So put the 002 TPMS sensors on the new 20" wheels? Just trying to make sure I got this right.

9balllrook
11-13-2009, 01:59 PM
Correct, Part #40700CK002 are for the 04's

jpspaz
02-20-2010, 03:34 PM
Okay here's a dumb question--one of my sensors is bad but how do I figure out which one? I've read the comments about the unlabeled pressure readings so you have no idea which is which. A totally stupid idea if you ask me.

arlingtonarmada
03-29-2010, 01:42 PM
I had a full size wheel to replace the spare when I purchased my 04 LE. It has a sensor on it. Will that one send a errant signal to the module?

Stryker
04-01-2010, 07:03 PM
Just a question - How much does a dealership charge to reprogram new sensors?

peglaws
04-01-2010, 08:24 PM
My 2004 Armada's dashboard warning light for low tire pressure lights up after approximately 75 miles @ highway speeds and has done so for years. Notwithstanding perfect inflation it never fails to happen and no one has ever been able to determine which sensor is the bad one. I agree that albeit flawed, the system is necessary. Therefore, has anyone just replaced all 4 sensors and were they able to get them aftermarket at a reasonable price? I am just going to bite the bullet and solve the problem once and for all. Thanks

jcorvair
04-02-2010, 02:46 PM
I paid about $65 a piece at O'Reilly and had them installed at a tire shop, but had to go to Nissan to get them programmed. I had an 06 SE. They charged me $35 at Nissan to re-code all four.

Cheers,

james

arlingtonarmada
04-02-2010, 03:31 PM
I have the same situation with my 2004 LE. At about 50 miles the light comes on. The pressure in all tires including the spare are at specs so maybe one or more of the transmitters are malfunctioning. I am going to change all of the sensors when I put on a new set of tires sometime this month. I will post the results.

trueblue01gt
07-22-2010, 01:27 PM
im only running 3 sensors. broke the stem off of one a few weeks ago and replaced it with a rubber stem.

didnt get the light or buzzer when i had the spare tire on and now that i have the regular rim w/o a sensor im still not getting any lights or buzzers.

hope it stays that way.

cjcorrea
07-22-2010, 02:07 PM
Correct, Part #40700CK002 are for the 04's

great i just bought 2 yesterday on ebay

sacario175
01-31-2011, 10:22 AM
My Mada has a missing TPMS on my read tire. It read three pressure except that one. I added the TPMS on the wheel, and now it doesnt ready any. It just has a *** on all of them. What should I do?

goldsman
02-01-2011, 02:15 AM
I'm not sure what you mean by "read tire" but a couple of thoughts. First, the sensors don't start to transmit until the car is moving (to conserve battery usage). Until they start to transmit the display will show ***. If one wheel position is showing *** but the others are working (which is what I think you are saying) it is one of two things. 1. the sensor is not transmitting (broken or dead battery), but not as likely as 2. the car hasn't been programmed to recognize the serial number of the new sensor. You either have to go back to the dealer to have the car programmed to the four on-the-ground wheel sensors (my dealer has never charged me to do this) or go to a tire store, most have the handheld device to do it.

I put a sensor in my spare tire so I could do 5-tire wheel rotations on the first set of tires that came with the car. Every time I rotated tires I had to reprogram the car's computer to recognize the four sensors that were on the ground and what wheel positions they were in (so I would know what wheel each reading related to).

sacario175
02-01-2011, 12:53 PM
thanks. im going to try my tire shop

BlakSpyda
03-05-2011, 08:30 PM
Welcome to CA sacario175!

screamineagle
03-08-2011, 12:55 AM
Help. My wife took my truck to Walmart to have new tires put on. After they put them on they told her one of the tires was missing something that made it inop. I have the rebuilt kit with them. What could have been missing? I think they broke them off on accident and made something up. Have to call them in the morning to get this figured out.

goldsman
03-09-2011, 04:43 AM
If your Armada is like mine (which I bought new) the spare tire came with a full-size alloy wheel and tire that matched the four on the ground -- except, it didn't have the TPMS transmitter valve stem.

I installed a TPMS transmitter on the spare wheel so I could do 5-wheel tire rotations with the first set of tires that came with the car. Unfortunately, the car computer can only read 4 sensors and every time one that had been on the ground was swapped with the one that was the spare the car computer had to be reporgrammed to remove the code for the TPMS transmitter on the wheel that became the spare from the four programmed in the computer and add the code from the wheel that had been the spare. Luckily, my dealer never charged me to do the reprogramming.

Now that I'm on my second set of tires I'm on a 4-wheel rotation pattern so I don't need to reprogram whenever I rotate tires unless I want to keep the tire locations the same (from top to bottom my readings are for left front, right front, right rear, left rear.) But they can be in any order you want but that is the way the dealer will program them -- start at the left front and go clockwise around the car.)

So - if you mounted the spare tire there probably was no TPMS transmitter on that wheel; that's how they came from the factory.

jpspaz
03-30-2011, 12:38 PM
I called the dealer today and they quoted me $104 per sensor. I have two that aren't working but there's no way I'm paying that much. Any good aftermarket ones out there?

spta97
03-30-2011, 05:56 PM
This TPMS system is more trouble than it's worth. I had the light go on due to my backup camera signal wire which I disconnected. After I replaced my 3rd brake light this weekend it is on again!

Scr38 reported trouble lights are sometimes caused by the center speaker.

They really should rethink this system to make it more user serviceable as the price to repair is more than getting a tow truck

jcorvair
03-31-2011, 10:24 AM
I paid less then $50 each at O'Reilly in Bellingham, WA a couple years ago for an '06 SE 4x4. You have to watch that you get the correct ones for your year and model, but I think '05 and '06 were the same for Aluminum wheels - non-offroad though.

I do like the system in my '09 Chevy. The sensors can be relearned by dropping the air pressure out until the horn beaps, then you move to the next one in a clockwise direction around the truck. This is great for allowing me to rotate my own tires. It takes 2 minutes to relearn the positions. Too bad the build quality on the Chev is not what it is on the Nissan.