Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

Tire Repair

3K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  Pops 
#1 ·
I noticed one of my tires is leaking air from 32 to 26 psi per day. Stopped by to a Discount Tire shop today. After waiting for an hour, they returned it back to me and said the issue is on the external side of the tire, and they cannot repair it.

Is this true the tire cannot be repaired if it is leaking are from the side?
Should I buy just one tire then? Any other solution? :confused:

#2 ·
From what I understand, a leak in the sidewall cannot be repaired.

As far as whether you should only replace the one tire, it really depends on how old your other tires are. If they have a few miles on them, then you should replace the other tire on the same axle. If it is almost new, then you could probably get away with the single replacement.

#3 ·
Yes, a leak is on the sidewall. I guess I have to replace all four since I got these Continental ContiTrac tires about 37K miles ago.

Any suggestions on the next tires? Good Year or Michelin? Looks like ContiTrac does not last much...

#5 ·
I just bought Cooper ATP's from Discount and am very happy with them so far. Much quieter than my Bridgestone Duellers and I just drove up through a wicked snow storm to go boarding and they handled like a champ. $199 each was a great deal, I thought.

#6 · (Edited)
Thanks guys! If you use those in Canada, should be fine for me in Minnesota :)
Just scheduled an appointment with DiscountTire - those Cooper ATP's are now $168 so I guess it is even a better deal. Never tried Cooper's - but I've heard about them a lot.
When you replaced the tires, did you replace the TPMS (tire pressure monitoring system) components? They offer a $30 TPMS Rebuild kit - it is worth to get it?

:bow:

#10 · (Edited)
I did replace all 4 TPMS because one had just failed and being 6 years old they were pretty much at their end of life anyways. That new price of $168 (damn, I missed that!) will help offset the sting of the new tpms's. The rebuild kit is only the stems and seals. The actual tpms battery is non-serviceable.

The ATP's are exclusive to Discount Tire and look to be a modified AT3. Although the reviews for the AT3 was middle of the road I heard from a few people that were really happy with the ATP's. My first choice were the Zeon's but changed my mind last minute because of the price, tread wear and the fact that many said they throw up a lot of rocks due to the tread pattern. The Zeon's do look pretty nice on a rim but the ATP looks pretty good too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.