Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

oil gauge fluctuating at idle

10K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  The_Flood 
#1 ·
i just noticed this 2 weeks ago..when at a stop light my oil guage fluctuates between half and a 1/4 ways...and so does my idle but the rpm is steady...what is this? it still powerful as hell....and drives smoothe...only when stopped at a light or when idleling in "P" at operating temps...in cold it ildes fine...tried researching but nothing...i hope its not a oil pump situation....i just bought her at 107K miles last month...:crikey:

#2 ·
What year? This is normal in the earlier years as they use a real time gauge. As the rpms increase so does the engine oil pressure.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

#4 ·
its normal...as long as its not pegged all the way low or high then its ok. If it was then it would be just the oil pressure sensor going bad. Oil pumps are not known to fail on these trucks.

#5 ·
The rpm gauge is steady. Can you describe what you mean by the fluctuating idle?

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

#10 ·
i have an 04 and it does the same thing.

#11 ·
relieved to hear this...

Mine is an 04 too, but I swear it never behaved like this prior to me just having the oil pressure sensor replaced earlier this week. I had it replaced because I was told it was causing oil to leak. Took it back to the shop today because of guague fluctuations and they told me it was "normal" and I kind of went off because I hadn't noticed this in the 8 years that I've owned the truck. I've been original owner since Jan 2005.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.