Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

New Rancho shocks all around, but confused

3K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  steveg_nh 
#1 ·
So after upgrading my tires to Firestone Destination A/Ts (wow is all I have to say about those), I'd like to upgrade the poor excuse for OEM shocks with Ranchos.

I want to put RS9000XLs in the front and rear. I don't have a rear leveling suspension. This is a non tow SE, 2008 4WD. According to various sites, the part numbers are

Rear: RS999306
Front: RS999771

But I believe these are shocks. I thought the armada has struts in the front. Or maybe I don't understand fully the replacement process. Or maybe I'm just mistaken entirely, in which case, my humble apologies!

The only reason I care, vs just bringing it to the auto shop and saying "have at it" is because they're letting me order my own parts and bring them in, and they'll just install them. So I want to be sure I'm buying the right stuff, and everything I need.

Any help/clarification is appreciated.

#2 ·
The front are Coilover Shocks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coilover

A coilover is not to be confused with the shock absorber and spring setup (strut); coilovers are totally independent and do not require extra parts e.g. bumpstops, ball Joints, spring cushions etc. Many people state that they are the same but this is a busted myth, hence the reason that high performance cars use independent coilovers to increase road grip, handling and comfort. On a lower budget, people will install a 'lowering kit' consisting of a spring that is of different measurement in length (mm) and fit aftermarket shock absorbers to increase comfort and handling on tighter corners where body roll may hinder performance. Coilovers come adjustable or a fixed length and normally bolt straight to a car instead of using tools (spring compressors) to fit a shock absorber and a spring to. While they are generally more expensive (up to 90% more), they still offer the greatest amount of comfort and handling compared to the earlier, strut-mounted type.

#3 ·
I never knew that, but looking at them, it completely makes sense! So the spring gets reused I assume? So really, you do just order shocks all around.

I can't wait to feel the improvement with those shocks vs my worn out OEMs.

#5 ·
My auto shop said $65 each to do the whole job. Sounds good to me!

Do you know if I have to worry about needing anything special to use these? They seem like direct replacement, not requiring modifications.

#6 ·
Rancho makes direct replacement shocks for our trucks for both the front and the back. I'm not sure on the exact ones you purchased as I don't have a tremendous amount of experience with ranchos.

#7 ·
#8 ·
So outside of buying the shocks, any other special parts needed? Since they appear to be direct replacement, doesn't seem like anything custom would be needed like larger washers, etc, etc?? Thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.