Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

anybody replace their starter?

29K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  gt-leo 
#1 ·
My armada seems to be clicking alot more lately when starting. Before it would click every now and then. I really dont feel like taking the intake manifold off just to replace starter. Why the hell did nissan design it this way...

#4 · (Edited)
Its funny my brother just called me regarding the exact same thing. Hid car tick tick when he tries and I told him get a new battery and he did. He called and said it starts but then it just tick tick again and won't turn over. Told him to make sure that it proper connection and check the terminal. He texted me back and said it was the terminals.

Edit: he too thought it was is starter. I'm just saying it might be worth to check it out.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using AutoGuide.Com Free App

#5 ·
When my starter crapped out it just died! I went to leave work and it wouldn't start, everything lit up but no sound at all. Terrible sight to see it on the back of a tow truck, but the perfect time to add the 07 intake manifold.

#6 ·
Mine did!!!

I have an 04. Mine died around late 2009. It would click then start. Got worse after a couple months until one day my family and I went out for lunch and got stranded. It clicked away for about 45 minutes. I tried to reach the starter to get a stick to hit it some but the location is retarded and couldnt reach it.

I removed the starter had it rebuilt. A shop rebuilt it in 2 hours. It wasn't the starter motor that broke though. It was the solenoid that pushes the gearing out that was broken. If you already checked the connection and battery is good. It's time to remove the intake manifold. And I agree with you it's a stupid design. Don't wait like I did and get stranded. Be careful not to drop anything down the intake holes.

#8 ·
I have an 04. Mine died around late 2009. It would click then start. Got worse after a couple months until one day my family and I went out for lunch and got stranded. It clicked away for about 45 minutes. I tried to reach the starter to get a stick to hit it some but the location is retarded and couldnt reach it.

I removed the starter had it rebuilt. A shop rebuilt it in 2 hours. It wasn't the starter motor that broke though. It was the solenoid that pushes the gearing out that was broken. If you already checked the connection and battery is good. It's time to remove the intake manifold. And I agree with you it's a stupid design. Don't wait like I did and get stranded. Be careful not to drop anything down the intake holes.
Did you drain your coolant first?

#9 ·
Nope

No need to drain anything. The plastic intake is just an air tunnel. Nothing else running through it besides air. Was kind of a pain in the butt to remove one of the starter bolts though. I went and got a 2 feet 3/8" extension to reach the bolt and spun it from the bottom of the trans. With a swivel too. Good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.