Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

Brakes Questions....

41K views 67 replies 35 participants last post by  Pops 
#1 · (Edited)
I need help, I'm soo confused. :confused:

I've searched and read through quite a few threads and I still can't figure out what I need to get. My pads are worn (63k miles) and my rotors have plenty of life but they're warped. The cost of having them turned is the same as buying a new cross-drilled rotor so I'd rather replace the front rotors.

I've found aftermarket to be much cheaper than OEM. I'm trying to figure out if I have Akebono or Bosch or if it even matters.

I had the Brake Fix done, the sticker on the back plate says "Bosch", so does that mean I have Bosch?? Does anyone's actually say Akebono??

So, what if I order the 350mm (Akebono) instead of the 320mm (Bosch), does it matter??

Does anyone have long term experience with Burtman's kit or the EBC stuff that Discount Tire is selling??

This is what I've found so far w/ free shipping, what do you guys think??

http://www.r1concepts.com/

Title : NISSAN ARMADA 2005 Front Brake Pads - Posi Quiet Ceramic 105.11830

Sku : 105.11830
Specs : Bosch Front Caliper; 320mm Front Disc
Sales Price:$ 53.50 (axle set)
Retail Price:$ 85.60

- OR -

Title: NISSAN ARMADA 2005 Front Brake Pads - Posi Quiet Semi-Metallic Extended Wear 106.11830

Sku: 106.11830
Desc: Semi-Metallic Extended Wear

$53.40 (axle set)
$53.40

--------------------------------------

Title : NISSAN ARMADA 2005 Rear Brake Pads - Posi Quiet Ceramic 105.10410

Sku : 105.10410
Specs : Bosch Front Caliper
Sales Price:$ 41.95 (axle set)
Retail Price:$ 67.12

- OR -

Title: NISSAN ARMADA 2005 Rear Brake Pads - Posi Quiet Semi-Metallic Extended Wear 106.10410

Sku: 106.10410
Desc: Semi-Metallic Extended Wear

$46.30 (axle set)
$46.30

--------------------------------------

Title : NISSAN ARMADA 2005 Front Brake Rotors - Cross-Drilled & Slotted EX.42090

Sku : EX.42090
Specs : Bosch Front Caliper
Sales Price:$ 131.20 (pair)
Retail Price:$ 209.92

- TIA

See less See more
#31 ·
I've had no problems with these rotors at all. I received a pair of replacement semi-metallic pads last Friday that I might change out sometime this summer to alleviate the little bit of noise, but the rotors seem to be doing very well so far.

#32 ·
Just received my order today and hopefully putting them on later this week:)

==================================================================
Ordered: 1 Shipped: 1 kdbrakeparts 2005 Nissan Armada F/R OE rotors + F/R
Posi Ceramic Pads $265.00 Ship Date:

Ordered: 2 Shipped: 0 EOE.42090 INF/NIS- Blank E-Line Brake Rotor $0.00
Ship Date:

Ordered: 2 Shipped: 0 EOE.42081 INF/NIS- Blank E-Line Brake Rotor $0.00
Ship Date:

Ordered: 1 Shipped: 0 105.11830 - Posi-Quiet Ceramic $0.00 Ship Date:

Ordered: 1 Shipped: 0 105.10410 - Posi-Quiet Ceramic $0.00 Ship Date:

==================================================================

Product Total: $265.00
Sales Tax: $0.00
Shipping: $0.00
Discount: $0.00
Surcharge: $0.00
Grand Total: $265.00
BalanceDue: $0.00

#35 ·
I am currently using PREMIUM DRT drilled slotted w/ posi quiets F&R; one of the rear rotor is cracked rite thru, going to the check the rest; the brake pads since day one is messy. I use wagner product on my other car with exceptional results; gonna try those on the armada.

#36 ·
Pops, waiting on the r1concept cross drilled and slotted front rotors and their premium ceramic pads to arrive. Will give update as to how they do.....CA, Best club on the web!

#37 ·
Pops, where did you get your SS brake lines? Did you replace just the fronts or back lines also?

#39 ·
Thanks Pops, I already have a email in to PRG about a mini lift, Ill add that to my questions.

#40 ·
First off, Awesome site with tons of info, thanks to all you guys who contribute. Pops, went with your recommendation, R-1 Eline drilled & slotted rotors with posi quiet ceramic pads. Called R-1 directly and when I mentioned I was a Club Armada member they knocked $50.00 Off!
Installation was easy, followed the quick break in instructions and from the first braking the "shutter/shaking" was completely gone! Only have about 400 miles on the new set up and they feel great!

#43 ·
I have since switched to Hawk pads on the R1 rotors....been very happy!

#44 ·
I've been using Posi-Quiet, I had Ceramic and am now running Scorched Semi-Metallic, next set will be back to Ceramic. Hawk pads are better quality than posi-quiet but the posi-quiet have done well enough for my needs. If NAPA ever has their Adaptive ONE available for these trucks I'll get those.

#46 ·
Fwiw...I have the posi quiet ceramic... Installed last April/May. I check it last month almost all gone. That's not my issue with it. I think they are soft. There is a give when your press the brakes. My set were worse then the OEM . I bled it twice. Once with good old fashion pumping and other with the automatic vacuum . so I just learned to drive it with the braking distance. When I had the truck lifted. The guys at the shop bled them again. They too said we don't know we did it 3 times already but your brakes feel soft and it gives a bit before biting. So I just bought the ebc supreme green stuff (7000 series). Haven't gotten them on yet. But reviews been great on them and they were the almost the same price as the posi quiet. But my R1 rotors are pretty solid tho. Will report back when I have a chance to put on the ebc.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using AutoGuide.Com Free App

#47 ·
Anyone interested, R1 Concepts is having a St. Patty's deal right now. I just talked with James and got a full set of drilled and slotted eLine's ordered for my Armada paired with Hawk LTS pads. Looking forward to swapping out the OEM's.

#48 ·
just to update my EBC green stuff extreme after a month or so now...brakes power/grip= great, way better then my R1 concept posi quiet ceramic (i just replaced one pad for another no bleeding was done), dust- a hell of lot, it a squeals to no end sometime loud sometime low. I used a full bottle of brake cleaners and still squeals like a PIG! Verdict great braking but I cant take the squealing, so i will not be buying another set. Next set will be frozen or hawks and I will see how those work.

o yeah forgot to mention I have the R1 concept slotted drilled rotors.

#49 · (Edited)
Those EBC pads are not broken in yet. Hence the dust and squeaks. After approximately 500-750 miles the dust will reduce a LOT (to almost zero) and the squeaking will reduce as well.

But, yeah, that's the problem with EBC pads. The stopping power is amazing but they squeak like crazy. Even after the bed-in period, they squeak a bit. There is no way you can get rid of them completely.

The only way to minimize those squeaks is to warm up the pads by performing a couple of quick (not emergency) stops every time you take her out for a ride.

But the squeaking is no laughing matter. Even if one tried to describe it in words, no one would believe it. They are really annoying and discourages people from buying another pair in their entire life!

I wouldn't dare look at another pair in my life again, no matter how good reviews they will ever receive in the future!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#51 ·
If I were you, I would clean the wheels and check them again to see how bad the dust is. I promise you, the brake dust has subsided. Be ready with some heavy duty rim cleaner. I just picked the one they had at our service station and it was clean as new(minus the ageing factor, of course :D).

If you've put that many miles and the squeaking is still there, then the bad news is that the its not going to go any better.

#53 ·
Can anyone tell me what are the best pads/rotors to use? I recently purchased my 04 Armada and am not sure what pads/rotors it has installed but it makes a high pitched noise when I break and coming to a stop. I also feel that the brakes are not the best, its a heavy SUV and I think it needs better pads/rotors. Has anyone installed a set of pads/rotors that they are happy with? No noise and good stopping power? Please help, thanks.

#54 ·
Powerstop is a good brand, so is R1. If you want to purchase EBC rotors, that's fine too… but stay away from EBC brake pads. Hawk pads are quite good. Frozenrotors also have a good reputation.

My next pair is going to be slotted and drilled rotors from Powerstop and I already know that I will be happy with them.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#55 ·
I just installed a full set of R1 Concept drilled and slotted rotors with the Hawk Lts pads and they are a big improvement over the stockers. I've been using Hawk pads on all my vehicles for close to 10 years and never had any issues. The stock pads sung like a stuck pig when cold and the Hawks are as quite as a bird of prey.

I recently had a loaded (5000-6000lbs) enclosed cargo trailer behind my Armada after install and I never felt like the truck had a hard time slowing it down from freeway speed.

I have no problem recommending this setup!

#59 ·
I really like the Hawk brand. I'd stick to what you have history with or talk to the guys at R1. Before deciding on my setup, I asked a ton of questions over the phone. Ask the right questions and you could even see a little discount; although they run specials pretty frequently.

#60 ·
any updates? I too am looking to pull the trigger on brakes & rotors soon.
Looking for something economical to get me thru till fall before buying a newer one. The 04 has run its course but has to get me to the fall. But figuring do I really need to spend the $$ on the higher priced products than maybe just OEM or is there something less expensive and decent to good quality?

#61 ·
Try advance auto part or autozone. If you are looking for cheap.

I always buy wagners for my Maxima from advance. As for my Marda, the brakes pads and rotors are new, but sucks that dealership probably used a cheap brand since it is dusting a lot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.