Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

3 Lights on - VDC OFF, SLIP, BRAKE - 2005 Armada SE

56K views 28 replies 17 participants last post by  Johnny M. 
#1 ·
2005 Armada SE: Had ECM replaced by dealer last week due to recall. I now have 3 lights coming on and staying on together- VDC OFF, SLIP, BRAKE. Anyone experienced this or know what to do about it? I have an appointment with the dealer again tomorrow but would like to know what to expect... Vehicle drives fine otherwise and there are no noticeable issues other than the lights. Thanks!

#2 ·
That means your brake fluid is low... It usually only happens when it's time to change your brake pads because the existing ones are thin... When you put on new pads, they're thick again so the fluid gets pushed back up into the resevoir making it full again. :D

#7 ·
Also, looking forward to chatting with you guys in the future on other topics. I do a lot of beach driving in NC and will look for advice on lifts, suspension, tires, etc. It handles great on the beach, but in soft sand and deep ruts the skid plate hits... I would eventually like to do some mods as it is 100% stock at this point.

#8 ·
Alright, so it must be in the FSM instead... :) But the Owner Manual says:

Brake warning light

This light functions for both the parking brake and
the foot brake systems.
When the ignition key is in the ON position, the
light comes on when the parking brake is applied,
and also warns of a low brake fluid level. If the
light comes on while the engine is running with
the parking brake not applied, stop the vehicle
and perform the following:
1. Check the brake fluid level. Add brake fluid
as necessary. See “Brake fluid” in the “Maintenance
and do-it-yourself” section of this
manual.
2. If the brake fluid level is correct, have the
brake system checked by a NISSAN dealer.

#9 ·
LOL... This problem has arised earlier this year. Nissan (local dealer) told me they couldn't duplicate the issue, and they had no information on troubleshooting given the symptom. I have yet to check for any TSBs or look through the FSM (gonna read later today). The OP's description seems as if it could be what I see on my '07 SE.

Here's when I see something...

1. Crank up the engine (early morning)
2. Put in drive
3. Drive out of subdivision

Now, under hard acceleration (WOT), the brake light will initially come on. It will typically stay on if at 100% throttle through 1st gear & into 2nd. If at WOT long enough (usually 5 seconds or more), the VDC OFF & SLIP lights will illuminate. At that point, all three lights will remain lit until power is cycled to the vehicle. If only the brake light is lit, and throttle position is lowered from hard acceleration, the brake light will usually go away.

With that said, Pops, your theory makes sense. I say makes sense because I have not investigated yet to prove/disprove it. But, I agree with your assessment.

VB_Armada... not sure if this fits your scenario, but let us know. BTW, WELCOME!!!

#10 ·
Bad - what you are describing sounds like brake fluid level. When you are at WOT the level will shift (think of a cup of water).

Pop the hood and check. If it is low find out the reason rather than just adding more brake fluid. It is either a leak or more likely your pads are low. If you just add more fluid it will mask the problem then gush all over when you compress the caliper piston when you do change the pads.

#14 ·
Went on vacation a couple days after my post. It's been a long while since I replaced the pads on my 'Mada. I heard a slight sound coming from the rear wheel area a couple days ago. I wouldn't be surprised if the pads are worn. But, yea... topped fluid off before hitting the highway, and all is normal. I've got my scheduled maintenance coming up in less than 2000 miles. I'll check the pads when I rotate the tires. :cool:

#11 ·
If is just worn pads causing the fluid to be lower you can add more and when you change your brake pads just remove some from the reservoir before compressing the pistons.

Scott

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone

#15 ·
my 06 armada has the same lights that come on randomly. most of the time the lights go off after restarting the vehicle. the anti lock brakes stop working properly when these lights are present. when slow with moderate force, the brake peddle will pulse and become overly sensitive as if the antilock braking system is engaging. my brake fluid is not low and the brake pads are fine.\
cary PT

#16 ·
What was the outcome of your service?

I am having the exact same issue and it started tonight after having just the brake light with the horrible grinding noise others have talked about that goes away after you turn off and on vehicle. Now they stay on all the time and my fluid level is right near MAX.

#19 ·
I am having the exact same issue and it started tonight after having just the brake light with the horrible grinding noise others have talked about that goes away after you turn off and on vehicle. Now they stay on all the time and my fluid level is right near MAX.
I'm having the exact same issue in my 05'. It has been intermittent. It started 2 weeks ago. I'm starting to get nervous that this is going to be something really expensive to repair. Contemplating getting rid of the truck because of it. Definitely not something i'd expect from a Nissan with under 50k on it. My 05' Sentra has 191k on it and still runs like a dream... Go figure.

#17 ·
Be aware, I did check my fluid level and had all brake pads replaced, problem stayed the same, all 3 lights on, mine came on after I replaced my battery, have asked for advise from this forum with same run around, check fluid, replace pads ect, had ecm replaced awhile back during recall from nissan, still have to get the flash restst or whatever, this is not a low brakefluid problem, its something else totally, any other advise is welcome, just not the same old stuff.

#18 ·
If you topped off the fluid with worn pads be carefull when you replace them. When you push out the pistons it will cause the fluid to overflow the reservoir. If this fluid gets on exhaust manifolds or headers it can cause a fire real fast and it is very hard to put out.

This just happened to my race car last weekend and it burned to the ground. Stupid mistake that got overlooked because we where in a hurry.

http://www.clubarmada.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20477

#20 ·
It could be your ABS sensors just check all four and make sure the wiring is not pinched etc...
There was a guy with this same symptom and turns out he had a frayed wire to one of his ABS sensors. He just stripped the wire and reconnected it (temporary fix) and the problem went away.
Also make sure the sensors themselves are not bad.

It's worth checking. ;)

#23 ·
Well, in the NY area they have "free" 100 point vehicle inspections so I may have it checked then. Yes, it is very annoying. It's defiantly a love/hate relationship. My pathfinder still just starts & drives. I never had any of these problems. I've posted this before, it was a much better made vehicle. ( Made in Japan )

#24 ·
i had the same problem and the dealer told me it was a front wheel sensor.
i have A QUESTION I JUST REPLACED THE FRONT WHEEL SENSOR MY SELF AND THE LIGHTS STILL STAY ON .DO HAVE TO HAVE THE DEALER REFLASH THE COMPUTER?? I TRYED DISCONNECTING THE BATTERY AND LETTING IT SIT BUT THE LIGHT STILL STAYS ON??
ANY IDEAS>???:crikey:

#25 ·
#29 ·
I have a 2009 Armada SE. The brake, slip and VDC use to come on and stay on as soon as the vehicle started moving.
I never took it to the shop because my battery went dead, after replacing the battery, the lights never came on again.
As strange as it sounds that's what happen, go figure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.