Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

need some suggestions on mada strut being stuck

3K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  RocketPower 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi,

Ive got my 2005 mada up on jacks atm. I am following this thread on removal and installation. http://www.clubarmada.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17919
I have the 3 bolts off and the lower nut and bolt and have tried to lever it out with a 2x4 but it aint budging on the lower part of the strut where the big nut and bolt connects to the lower arm assembly. I can see the 3 bolts on the top moving down when I apply leverage but it only goes so far.

Any suggestions on what I may be doing wrong?

edit. I have only one side jacked up. I just read something about a swaybar and both side need to be raised. But odd thing is, I tried hammering the lower strut to realign the holes in case I have to put it back together and it wont even budge even a 1/32"

#3 ·
What I did was stand on the 2x4 while my friend simply removed the coil over... no banging necessary... did you unhook all the abs wires? completely remove top nuts and bottom bolt?

#5 ·
Hi, thanks guys.

I had to put it all back together so I could drive somewhere.
But I think ive got it figured out now. Its alot easier when my wife was here to help me leverage the 2x4 and then I could move the lower strut end.

did you unhook all the abs wires? completely remove top nuts and bottom bolt?
I did not touch any wires or hoses.

I like to bang things. Its a man thing. LOL
I like my hammers too :)

#8 ·
I agree with Pops. Piece of cake once you disconnect the sway bar.

#9 ·
It worked fine for me using the a long bit of 2x4 and using that to lever the lower control arm down... didn't disconnect the sway bar. :) getting the 5100s in at the highest setting was a bit fun though. haha.

#10 ·
I did it without taking off the sway bar, and you don't need a 2x4. What we did was to jack up the front two wheels so there is no tension on the sway bar. To get the extra clearance to get the strut out, just open the hood (so there is something to hold on to), and then have a friend stand on the rotor and push it down. It doesn't require a whole lot of extra clearance to get it off. The same applies when putting the new strut in. As always the first side takes much longer than the other. Have fun.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.