Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

Remote Starter Questions

6K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  Olds67 
#1 ·
Hi all,

My wife is looking to have a remote start installed in her '05 Armada. I've been digging around here and ClubTitan and haven't found a whole lot of info. Best I've found so far is this walkthrough: http://www.clubtitan.org/forums/showthread.php?t=26260 .

One thing (obviously) not addressed there is the power liftgate. I don't see it on either of the two wiring diagrams I've found either. Has anyone wired their liftgate into an aftermarket remote start? Wire location? Type of trigger?

TIA! :bow:

#2 ·
My Viper ( or any of the other serpent) remote starters with an aux button can be programmed to work the lift gate. Mine has been working great for about 5 years!

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

#3 ·
TRUNK RELEASE Blue/white At release switch in dash

That's what I could find for a 2006... which I would assume is the same for 2005

I just did another remote start in my 2011 so it was a little easier because those functions are controlled by the interface module :)

#7 ·
My dealer installed remote start (Audiovox I think) won't start the radio or lift gate.

I have to put the key in the ignition and press the brake peddle in order for the lift gate to work. Funny thing is, if you press the button on the dash nothing happens - until you put the key in. Learned that the hard way.

From what I understand, you have to hook up separate devices to the remote start. Sure wish those two were hooked up as my Pioneer Navi takes forever to boot up and the ability to open the lifgate would be nice.

#8 ·
Our Armadas have two accessory wires coming from the ignition. If only one of those wires are given power from the remote starter, all of the accessories tied to the other will not function until the key is in giving it power. Some remote systems have the ability to run a second accessory out of the box and some require an additional relay to be added. It sounds like one of the accessory wires is not hooked into your remote start for your radio as well as the power lift gate.

Sent from my EVO using AutoGuide.Com Free App

#13 ·
The key to knowing which functions are supported by the remote start are the ones supported by the factory. If the power lift gate works with the button and the key on, there is no reason it shouldn't with the remote start. If the radio powers up with the key on, there is no reason it shouldn't with the remote start. Sounds to me like the installer was a tad lazy...
That's what I get for going with a dealer installed option :rolleyes:

So without having any documentation on this remote start, is there any way I can correct the issue? It would be really nice to have the seat heat work on the remote start as 10 minutes often isn't enough to get the truck warm on really cold days.

I would also like to remove the indicator flash from my parking lights (it flashes them to let you know it received the key sequence). I have my HID fogs triggered by my fog lights so it flashes them which I would like to avoid.

#9 ·
The key to knowing which functions are supported by the remote start are the ones supported by the factory. If the power lift gate works with the button and the key on, there is no reason it shouldn't with the remote start. If the radio powers up with the key on, there is no reason it shouldn't with the remote start. Sounds to me like the installer was a tad lazy...

#10 ·
Messed with it some this morning. No luck while remote started locked or unlocked. So I gave up and went to work...

Well, I just got a call from the wife - apparently, the remote start timed out, and when it shut off the liftgate opened. :rolleyes:

She also said it was unresponsive to the buttons, just like you said spta97.

Olds67 - The lift gate operates via remote just fine as long as the engine is not running on remote start, so I'm pretty sure everything that needs to be powered is. <shrug>

imtfox - I know my installer well and he seemed to be familiar with needing to have the remote start shut off to operate the liftgate. Have you had luck getting it to work?

#14 ·
Doing a "key takeover" to get the liftgate to function is what is making me suspicious. Normally, how does the liftgate work without any remote start components active? When the remote start is active and the car is running, can you insert the key (without stepping on the brake) and make the liftgate work with the factory button? If the presence of the key in the ignition (not on) allows it to work, it's most likely the keysense wire missing. If you have to turn the key to the on position (while remote started) to get it to work, they most likely missed the second accessory wire. If neither of these makes it work and really only turning the key on and stepping on the brake makes it work, then there is something weird going on.

#15 ·
The liftgate will open by the button on the key fob, with the doors unlocked by pulling on the handle, and I'm almost positive it will work by pressing the button on the dash without the key in the ignition (I'll confirm that later).

That's why it's suprising that it won't work with the car started via the remote start as you typically don't need the key in the ignition or for the truck to be running in order for it to operate.

#17 ·
Turkeylord, what brand and model remote start do you have? I will ask my bro who is in the business what could be causing your issue.

Just to clarify, is your issue is the remote start keyfob will not open the liftgate while remote started, but works when the key is in? Just want to make sure I understand your issue correctly.

Additional questions:

Does it work when the truck is not started and the key is not in?

Does the factory keyfob open the liftgate while its remote started?

Sent from my EVO using AutoGuide.Com Free App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.