Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

New A/Ts, OWL or Black sidewall?

3K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  steveg_nh 
#1 ·
I searched a bit, figuring someone's asked for an opinion before, but couldn't find anything. I even tried just sorting through some photo posts, without much luck. I'm trying to find someone's armada that would represent what mine would like like with OWL tires. I'm putting on new shoes, finally, and dumping the Conti OEM tires. I'm most likely getting Firestone Destination A/Ts after reading reviews on tons of tires, literally for days (please don't even suggest another tire, I don't think I can handle more indecision! LOL).

Anyway, I can't decide if it might look nice, and a bit sporty, to put the white lettering out, vs the all black sidewall. I've always been undecided. My Armada is a 2008, smoke grey, with stock silver 18" rims.

Thoughts? Any pictures I might want to see? I tried using photoshop to layer images so I could see what it might look like, but I didn't have much luck getting it to look good enough. Here's my mada (lousy pic quality, and she's very dirty - snowing here in NH today)...

Thanks for the time and opinions, and hopefully pics!

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Might be a bit different for us with our QX, but I'd never consider OWL unless I was going for the sporty look on a sporty vehicle. I don't consider our QX "sporty". Classy...yup. I'm getting a 4 door Wrangler soon. That will have OWL tires....along with lots of other things!

#5 · (Edited)
You summed it up well, it depends on the vehicle. I'll likely opt for blackwall out. Thanks!

Just ordered the tires too; will have them put on end of day Tuesday...Should look totally different than the Contis my truck came with.

#7 ·
i say black letters out!. I made the mistake of putting some BFG MTs on my toy (Xterra) white letters out about 5 years ago and after the first off road trip the letters looked like crap and were stained brown/orange. I know you probably won't be hitting up the rocks or mud with the Armada, but if you don't make an effort to keep them clean, they will start to look like crap, especially after the brake dust starts settling on them and after rubbing a few curbs.

#8 ·
I personally put the white letters out on our Armada. The Armada was white though. I thought it looked better with the OWL out. Unforatunately I can't find a pic of it. I have a '12 Titan in Smoke. The next time I do tired, I'll probably do OWL out as well. It is not a popular choice as you can see, but I like it. The best way to keep the letters clean is by using Comet and scrub brush or steel wool with the soap on it. Cleans them up really nice and white.

BTW...awesome choice on the Firestone Destination A/Ts. I have had them and they are awesome.

#9 ·
Thanks all. Tires were put on last night. The Armada looks SO different with these tires. Much more rugged and capable. Very happy with the choice. We'll see what the noise is like on the way to work, but I think I'll be happy with these shoes.

I did decide black out. I like white out on pure black I decided, but since mine's smoke, I opted for the black. Looks pretty good.

Thanks for all your opinions though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.