Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

Problems to fix worth fix or trade?

4K views 19 replies 7 participants last post by  Pres56 
#1 · (Edited)
I took in my 07 qx 77k miles on in today to get serviced take it some things checked out i was told basically total amount about 1900 dollars to fix everything. I almost hit the floor. first thing they found a trans cooling line is leaking total cost to fix that is about 236 dollars second problem is the clicking on the front suspension apparently the 2 bushings in the front are worn out total cost to fix that is about 280 dollars next the pinion seal is leaking total cost to fix that about 420 third exhaust has a minor crack in the rear about 330 dollars to pull apart weld and put a clamp on it then the intermittent problem with the cruise control is finally been diagnosed after changing out the foot brake pedal sensor that wasn't the problem it's actually a clock spring and located behind the steering wheel column assembly total cost of parts and labor a whopping 540 dollars.Also the self leveling rear system is not functioning I'm still waiting for him to call me on that I can imagine how much that's gonna be maybe 2 to 3k if it's all jacked up I'm not sure. If I'm looking at that about 3 grand here I'm almost at 4000 dollars and would you fix it or trade it in?I owe about 15k on the truck I love it to death I just can't see putting out this much money on this truck.What do you guys think fix or trade?

#2 ·
id say keep it.

Id say keep it, thats just my personal opinion because i love these trucks. take that listing and go to a good mechanic or shop that you know. Your pay a lot of labor from the stealership. The leaking transmission hose is a 3 dollar clamp fix with about 15-30 minutes labor. 236 is just ridiculous. If you were in south georgia, north florida area i'd help you out. the worn out bushing is another 8 dollars part with 30 minutes labor if that. the pinion leak is about a 70 dollars part. the exhaust take it to a muffler/exhaust shop. and have them replace that section of piping of fix it. if its a welding job will fix it im pretty sure its not that bad. muffler shop probably charge you 100 bucks. the cruise control you can buy a new switch. not sure on the price but i know it aint no were close to 500. parts here would probably be around 500. doesn't take a certified mechanic to do all this just a reputable one. where you located? im sure someone on this friendly forum is willing to help a fellow Nissan/infiniti owner out. And im sure they wont charge you anywhere close to 3grand.

#3 ·
Thanks yeah I'm in maryland I'm going to have to look into it more. The trans coolant line was located right at front passenger out of radiator. I'm not sure if I would loose trans and coolant or what when removing the clamp and replacing hose. I was very skeptical on price of 236 dollars. As far as the bushings on the front stabilizer bar what are the steps to replace that and the steps for the pinion seal? Exhaust my least of my concern local muffler shop for sure its very minor crack.

#7 ·
If you gently clamp the hose upstream with vice-grips the line will be mostly sealed. The clamps are really all that's needed. You can replace the hoses too if you want to, the line is sold cheap by the foot at auto stores. If you replace it, it needs to be Trans Cooler Hose, fuel line hose won't hold up to the heat and trans fluid.

#9 · (Edited)
U can do the clamps the lazy man way like I did. :D I just slid the clamp down the hose where its still has a little of the plastic tip left and put a worm clamp where the other clamp was. Now I got 2 clamps. ;) I'm not sure where the tranny dip stick in the qx but in the armada its the one with a screw on it. Next to the fuse box in the engine bay.

I did the seal at a good mechanic shop for 170. The seal cost him 65 bucks. I called Nissan and they wanted 95! So I figure I just save my time and let the independent mechanic shop do it. And he top off all my fluids. 6 months no leak. :)

Rear leveler...could be compressor not working. Let them tell u n go fix it yourself. :)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using AutoGuide.Com Free App

#10 ·
Those prices are too high. Too bad you are not closer to me. I could bring it to work and fix it all. Minus the exhaust. My welding isn't so hot.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#17 ·
I'm in Hartford county 20 min from Baltimore. But in the end after all of this I ended up just sucking up the bill for then trans cooler line,pinion seal and clock spring. I was running out of time with being down 1 vehicle as my wife and I both work full time. With work being long he's and between my mother in law or my ma watching 2 kids I ran out of options. In this case time was money unfortunately. A lot of money lol. But I def am not letting them fix exhaust and bushings as those are not immediate I can get to shortly. So all in all 540 for clock spring,286 for new trans line, which includes trans flush and new fluid, new clamps because line is damaged also they said they would just drain all of it and flush fresh. And last 420 for pinion seal. If I had to the time the pinion seal could have been a sinch from what I seen on titan forum. I am def not one for the stealership but on this one I just had to suck up my pride knowing I could fix if had the time and bend over and brace for impact lol. At least I got a free loaner car for like 4 days because they are still diagnosing self leveling they traced in to under the dash something electrical maybe fuse or relay not sure I'll know for sure and def will post after all fixed. Thanks again as next time if ever again no way I will take off work find babysitter and make it work :)

#18 ·
All done finally....$600 in parts $770 in labor+Vaseline. My self leveling system malfunction was due to relay which is located right behind the battery on the passenger side front as I have seen this time and time again so at least it's a small fix and not my compressor about 21 bucks from infinitparts. I got the dealer to price match they were selling it for like 51 dollars and the infinity site had it for about 21so they price matched that.They wanted 120 to put in on no thanks I'll get to soon. As far as the sway bar once it gets warmer I'm going to go ahead fix I got the new bushings Nissan came out with the part number is 54613 - ZV50A they are like 10 dollars for 2 I believe something like that and I'll fix that when I get a chance far as the exhaust want to get a little warmer outside I think I should be able to scrape up to exhaust clamps a sawzall and making my minor repair.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.