Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

Aftermarket or Factory Navigation

20K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  TexasEdition 
#1 · (Edited)
http://www.navtv.com/userfiles/editor/file/manuals/NTX54-NIS_INF.pdf

So the link above is the install manual for the NavTV navigation system that you can have installed in your late model Nissan without factory navigation.
This system is very nice, but it is also very expensive. The least amount i've seen it go for so far is around $1,800 and the most I've seen is around $2,200.

So my thinking is this; I've always heard everybody say (including my dealership) that it would cost several thousand dollars to install factory nav in a non-nav Armada. But when I see these custom wire harnesses it makes me imagine that somebody can use these or make some like them that would allow the use of factory nav in our non-nav vehicles.

I'm thinking that there has to be some way to use factory nav equipment to make our non-nav Armada's be able to have full factory nav and function like it was factory original.
You can purchase every factory nav part online at very cheap prices. For example you can buy the nav computer on eBay for a couple hundred dollars, nav screen for about the same or less, and I found an entire face plate with all of the factory buttons and components still installed for a whopping low price of $259.00 on eBay.

Has anybody actually tried or heard of anybody that has tried to install factory navigation?

Here is the link to the factory face plate I was talking about:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/150957826994?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

See less See more
#2 ·
#3 ·
Factory Nav is cool & all but I'd always have the portable. Just seems to me to B more practical. My cousin has the factory Nav on his 56, I have a Garmin on my Mada.

I supose this is a bit unresponsive to your question though. I think there might B a thread on this subject or something similar to it if U do a search.

Sent from my SPH-D710 (Samsung Galaxy SII) using AutoGuide.Com Free

#4 · (Edited)
So after doing some research I found that the wiring harness pins are exactly the same on the back of the radio for a navigation and non-navigation radio for the 2008-2012 models. Which tells me that the wiring harnesses are also the same.
It's my understanding that all of the navigation software and hardware is in the factory radio.
It seems to me that the entire radio dash could be replaced with a navigation unit and all you would need is a different screen and add the GPS antenna.
I don't see any way how the vehicle ECU would be affected with a different radio.
Maybe I'm seeing this all wrong. Has anybody ACTUALLY tried this?

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

#5 ·
The folks that might know would be the tech's that actually install replacement units when the original unit crashes and no longer functions. Try call'n the dealer service dept. and see if you can actually speak to a tech or just go to the local dealer and speak with one.

Seems like an expensive way to get the Nav, why is it so important that it be "factory nav?"

#6 · (Edited)
It's not greatly important. I would just like to have the clean and functional factory nav.
The cost isn't much if you look around. I've seen the entire face plate with all of the electronics included for less than $300 in new condition.
I paid more than that for my Garmin.

Thanks for the info. I'll try and find a technician.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

#7 · (Edited)
this system is not simply plug and play.

just because the radio has the correct port for a harness does not mean your car actually has the correct harness in the dash.

the nav info is indeed stored on the HDD but you need more than just the HU and the HDD navi software.

it all comes down to if the assembly line installed the proper harnesses upon production of the car. also the CAN system (computer network) in the car needs to be setup to accept these communications, so you need more that just the HU and the antenna. the CAN system is a serial network so all the components are connected but they only acknowledge and "listen" to their commands on the line.

there are many sensors needed for the nav. its needs to know if the park brake is on/off, it needs to know the speed of the car (it gets this info from the combination meter), it needs to get input from the TCM on if the car is in D or P or R, etc. Lots of things involved other than just putting in a new radio and an antenna.

you maybe able to get some info if you head to a nissan parts depo and give them your vin. they _MAY_ be able to grab some info from the system in regards to what harnesses are on the car, etc. I am not 100% sure about this but worth a shot.

even installing the power folding and auto dim mirrors on a car that did not have them from the start requires the proper dash harness. its not always safe to assume the harnesses are installed.

#8 ·
Ntx-nissan / infiniti

I just bought a Garmin 2595 for my work truck, and it's the best I've seen or used for under $200!! Check it out:
http://g.factoryoutletstore.com/details/50332/garmin-nuvi2595lmt.html?category_id=23235
Factory Nav is cool & all but I'd always have the portable. Just seems to me to B more practical. My cousin has the factory Nav on his 56, I have a Garmin on my Mada.

I supose this is a bit unresponsive to your question though. I think there might B a thread on this subject or something similar to it if U do a search.

Sent from my SPH-D710 (Samsung Galaxy SII) using AutoGuide.Com Free
this system is not simply plug and play.

just because the radio has the correct port for a harness does not mean your car actually has the correct harness in the dash.

the nav info is indeed stored on the HDD but you need more than just the HU and the HDD navi software.

it all comes down to if the assembly line installed the proper harnesses upon production of the car. also the CAN system (computer network) in the car needs to be setup to accept these communications, so you need more that just the HU and the antenna. the CAN system is a serial network so all the components are connected but they only acknowledge and "listen" to their commands on the line.

there are many sensors needed for the nav. its needs to know if the park brake is on/off, it needs to know the speed of the car (it gets this info from the combination meter), it needs to get input from the TCM on if the car is in D or P or R, etc. Lots of things involved other than just putting in a new radio and an antenna.

you maybe able to get some info if you head to a nissan parts depo and give them your vin. they _MAY_ be able to grab some info from the system in regards to what harnesses are on the car, etc. I am not 100% sure about this but worth a shot.

even installing the power folding and auto dim mirrors on a car that did not have them from the start requires the proper dash harness. its not always safe to assume the harnesses are installed.
Hello members,

My name is Tiago Sperandio from NAV-TV, one of the sponsors for this forum, and I see most of you guys are looking for a solution to have a navigation into your factory radio screen.

If you want to replace your radio you probably will spend much more than you think. The reason for that is because you have lot involved, starting with parts + software updates for your vehicle and others. Otherwise the system will not work properly and it can cause all different issues to your car.

In order to avoid that headache NAV-TV released a kit called NTX-NISSAN/INFINITI which gives you the ability to have a GARMIN navigation into your radio screen without any programming, cutting or splicing wires. The NTX-NISSAN / INFINITI is 100% PLUG AND PLAY.

Check video below to see how the NTX-NISSAN / INFINITI works:

VEHICLES COMPATIBLE WITH THE NTX-NISSAN / INFINITI:

2008-2013 with 7” Full Color LCD Displays

Nissan Armada
Nissan Pathfinder
Nissan Murano
Nissan Maxima
Infiniti QX
Infiniti EX
Infiniti G35
Infiniti G37
Infiniti G25
Infiniti FX
Nissan Quest
2012+ Nissan 370Z

*THE CAR MUST HAVE A FULL COLOR SCREEN WITHOUT FACTORY NAVIGATION.

The NTX-NISSAN / INFINITI kit comes with:

- OEM NISSAN / INFINITI TOUCH SCREEN LCD. THIS IS NOT AN OVERLAY;
- GARMIN CITY NAVIGATOR MAPPING SOFTWARE;
- OVER 6 MILLION POINTS OF INTEREST;
- 100% PLUG AND PLAY INSTALLATION;
- NO DISASSEMBLY OF THE FACTORY LCD SCREEN OR MODIFICATION TO THE FACTORY WIRING HARNESS;
- FRONT OR REAR VIEW CAMERA INPUT.

Another extra feature that we offer is a LIVE NAV TRAFFIC. Garmin Traffic delivers updates to our navigators over one of the most extensive traffic avoidance systems. The Garmin Traffic system checks traffic conditions more than 2 billion times a month to help you avoid delays due to accidents, construction or rush-hour congestion.

>>>I DO HAVE SPECIALS COUPONS AVAILABLE. CONTACT ME FOR MORE INFORMATION. FORUM MEMBERS GET SPECIAL DISCOUNTS.<<<​

Thanks and have a great day!!!

#10 ·
With the money and time involved, I'd rather just go with an aftermarket Navigation.

I am actually about to install the rest of my JVC KW-NT800HDT. It's the first time in my 10 years of doing car audio installs, to go away from Pioneer. I originally went to go buy Pioneer's flagship model Navi, but the owner of the store asked me how important Live Traffic was to me. I told him, VERY IMPORTANT, as I lived in Dallas at the time and soon will be back. He told me I'd have to buy a seperate brain, but the JVC has Live Nav-Traffic built in with a lifetime subscription. I was warry, but I decided to go with it as he told me I could always return it. I couldn't have made a better buy.

That was about 8 months ago. I totaled my $38k Sierra with it in and the JVC Nav was damaged. I sent it in and they just flat out replaced it with a brand new model instead of repairing. Never had any car audio equipment that had that level of service. Price has dropped on it too. Great deals are on the internet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.