Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

Rear Air Suspension -- Replace with Normal Shock???

77K views 26 replies 15 participants last post by  n8dogg 
#1 ·
I have 80K miles on my 2004 4x4 LE. CRAZY FRIGGIN's BUMPY! Especially in the rear.

So I have read back a year or so on this forum about suspension issues and I just purchased the Bilstein 5100s for the front to replace whatever shocks are on there now.

There is definitely something wrong with the rear air suspension as the compressor never kicks on and it is a roller coaster ride back there. I unbolted the ride hight arm earlier and raised it and tried to get the compressor to kick on but it didn't.

So, here is my question. Can I replace the air shocks that are there in the rear with the shocks that the non-air suspension Armadas have in the rear or with some non-air suspension Bilsteins if I could care less about having air suspension in the future?

Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
Greg at PRG would likely know.

I assume you had the ignition on and engine running to check to see if the pump started pumping? You may even had to put the truck in gear before it kicks in.

#3 ·
I sent Greg an email through his website, but if anyone knows the answer I would appreciate any thoughts you have.

Replacing air suspension with normal suspension is something Land Rover owners do all the time because of the expense of fixing the air suspension compenents when they go bad. I really would rather not even go through the dealership diagnostic on my rear air and fix whatever is wrong. If I could simply replace the rear air shocks with OEM no air shocks or Bilstein 5100s (meant for the Titan) that would be my preference. Anyone know if I can do this?

Thanks.

#5 ·
The Land Rover suspension is very different from the one used on the Armada. The Rovers use air springs with standard shocks, similar to what semi trucks have used for many years, with an automatic & manual height adjustment system. The Armada uses coil springs, with an air adjustable shock. On the Rover, you replace the air spring with a coil spring. However, with a little knowledge, you can rebuild or repair just about any part on the Rovers air system for reasonable amounts of money. Just don't take it to the dealer.

For the Armada, the first thing you need to do is to determine whether the problem is mechanical (a worn seal or leaking airline) or electrical (a bad switch or burned out pump). Once you know the issue, then you can make an informed choice. Air lines can be replaced, pumps can be rebuilt, and switches are an easy fix. It may even be as simple as a burned out fuse.

One of the common emergency fixes on the Rovers, was to install a second set of air lines that allow you to inflate the air springs manually. That way, if the pump or solenoid block malfunctioned, you could quickly be back on the trail. A similar system should be an easy retrofit for the Armada. You wouldn't have the auto leveling option, but you would have functioning shocks. You would need to do some trial and error work to get the pressure right, but if the shock is good, this would be a much cheaper option.

Mike

#26 ·
The Land Rover suspension is very different from the one used on the Armada. The Rovers use air springs with standard shocks, similar to what semi trucks have used for many years, with an automatic & manual height adjustment system. The Armada uses coil springs, with an air adjustable shock. On the Rover, you replace the air spring with a coil spring. However, with a little knowledge, you can rebuild or repair just about any part on the Rovers air system for reasonable amounts of money. Just don't take it to the dealer. For the Armada, the first thing you need to do is to determine whether the problem is mechanical (a worn seal or leaking airline) or electrical (a bad switch or burned out pump). Once you know the issue, then you can make an informed choice. Air lines can be replaced, pumps can be rebuilt, and switches are an easy fix. It may even be as simple as a burned out fuse. One of the common emergency fixes on the Rovers, was to install a second set of air lines that allow you to inflate the air springs manually. That way, if the pump or solenoid block malfunctioned, you could quickly be back on the trail. A similar system should be an easy retrofit for the Armada. You wouldn't have the auto leveling option, but you would have functioning shocks. You would need to do some trial and error work to get the pressure right, but if the shock is good, this would be a much cheaper option. Mike
so is it possible to replace air adjustable shocks to regular shocks on a armada?

#7 ·
I'd wait to hear from PRG, getting a correct answer will be worth the wait. My front shocks are totally shot so I'll need to be contacting them before too long to be looking into getting some SAW's or something.

#8 ·
I look forward to hearing from Greg on this issue.

It seems from the number of posts in this forum relating to rear air suspension issues, that rear air suspension issues are very common. I am a little surprised that this question hasn't been explored before. If it is possible to replace the rear air shocks with some heavy duty Bilsteins or something similar, I would imagine that there would be quite a few Armada owners that would make the switch to normal rear shocks the next time their rear air acted up. You could go from an air supsension that seemingly has many problems to a reliable lifetime shock and be done with it.

#9 ·
Personally, I don't see why they couldn't be replaced with just regular shocks but I use the load-leveling way too much and cannot go without it. I suppose some airsprings connected to the compressor might be able to substitute for me but I really hope that I don't have to go that route.

#11 ·
Armadajason,
Did you ever get an answer or information? I had the same situation and with the info from this forum, was able to diagnose a burned fusible link and compressor. $265 and a few hours of my time and had a functioning auto level suspension.

Today when i found my mada squating in the rear again, i discovered my passenger side shock has a hole / tear and will not hold air.

I really need to what my options are and would consider standard shocks, if there is a set that works

#12 ·
Where was the hole located on the shock at the base or elsewhere?

#13 ·
well, the shocks were flat, so air and the bag or bladder was sorta folded over the shock body. The tear was at the bottom inside of the bag / bladder. And it appeared there was oil sprayed out???
i have a pic, but need to figure out how to load them.

#14 ·
First, I'd like to say hi to everyone, as I came across this forum while searching other issues for my '06 Armada LE 4x4.

Now to answer your question: Yes, it can be done, and that is the setup I have (for the past month or so). Standard (non air leveling) rear shocks for the non air-leveled Aramada will bolt right up in place of the air shocks. I have Bilstein fronts from PRG, and Monroe Reflex shocks on the back. To order the right ones, just search for rear shocks for the non-air leveling Aramada. There are several brands to choose from (Monroe, Rancho, KYB, etc.)

I also had a difficult time finding the answer to your question, and it wasn't until I took a very close look at the service manual that I decided to give it a shot. No problem at all. The only area of discussion I believe would be the best way to disable the air-leveling system (specifically the compressor). In my case, I just zip-tied the air lines out of the way, and pulled the fuse, but from what I've read in other threads it seems like there must be a better way. It seems like the fuse for the air-leveling system is also assigned to other things (none of which affect driveability). When I have more time, I'll investigate a better way to do this, but for the time being, this has worked fine for me.

#15 ·
One addition to my previous reply is in regards to using Titan rear shocks. Titans have the same front end (except for heavier spring rate (maybe just for 4x4?), but the rear suspension is different. Rather than going with Titan rear shocks (as someone previously asked about), I'd stick with shocks made to fit non air-leveled Aramadas. The Monroe Reflex on the rear of my LE made as much difference as did the Bilsteins I put on the front about a year and a half ago. In other words, there was a HUGE difference in dampening that the air shocks never came close to, even when brand new. Had I known it would make such a huge difference, and had I known back then that it was possible to even do, I would have put the standard rear shocks in long ago.

#17 ·
Gix...
After recently replacing my dead compressor, i decided to replace the air shocks. Bought the factory shocks from everythingnissan.com (better price than local dealer). When the system fails again, i will try the monroes.

As far as disconnecting the air system, i'd suggest you pull the fusible link, i beleive its labeled "G" in the service manual. Its in the box on the passenger side near the fire wall, under the hood. The problem is its a 3-component fusible link (30-30-50) the middle 30 is for the air suspension. Clip the fuse link and re-install. That is the first part of the air systems electronics, so everything down wire will be "dead". If you ever decide to return the armada to stock, the fusible link is only $15.

#18 ·
Thanks for he welcome Blakspyda. There's so much good info here I'm finding it hard to to get my work done.

Blackmada, that is very helpful info. I'll be sure to check that out this weekend. I'm curious though, if pulling the fusible link will cause a warning light to show up on the dash... I guess I'll find out soon. Thanks for the tip!

#19 ·
I'm running mine with the blown fusible link. It melted, i guess, around the time the compressor died. I do not have any warning lights. I have been driving it like this for weeks with no problems, other than a bumpy and squatting rear end.

The other option to disable the air suspension might be to disconnect the control module. the module is located on the rear driver side fender inside the vehicle and is quite time consuming to get to. I just looked at the service manual wiring diagram and fusible link "G" is for the compressor motor relay. Fuse 29 (the one i assume you have already removed) is for the contol module. if you have those removed, the system will be dead.

one more tip - if you decide to pull the fusible link, it is not that easy to remove. I've found that if you can pop off the plastic cap and CAREFULLY grab the side of the fuse housing with a small pair of pliers, it will come out. I'd also suggest you disconnect the negative battery wire.

#20 ·
Blackmada, thanks for even more good info. I'm still planning to clip that fusible link as you described. But just for kicks, I just peaked at the service manual again. On page 43, there are instructions for removing the compressor assembly, and #2 says, "Disconnect the electrical connectors for the rear load leveling air suspension compressor assembly". I wonder if i can just disconnect the electrical connectors and leave everything else intact. As long as the compressor doesn't turn on, I don't mind having the rest of the system working all the time. I wonder if I put the fuse back in (the one I pulled out, can't remember which fuse exactly), and just unplugged the compressor's connectors, if it would be ok. If it doesn't throw a light on the dash, then this is the method I would prefer.

#22 ·
hello GIXXERBRI, thanks for the great info....I have an 05 mada with rear air leveling on it...I lowered the truck 2 inches overall with springtech springs and bilsteins 4600 for the from....The front made a HUGE different with the new shocks but the rear air ones are kinda bouncy....(the technician adjusted the height in the rear so it looks even with the from....FYI I do have 26 inch rims on da truck....What do you recommend in the rear.....because iam planning on removing the air leveling with the basic shock...I m looking at the monroe reflex or the rancho rsx for the ARMADA BASIC REARS.....ANYONE with any suggestions would be greatly appreciated....I am Looking to get a SMOOTHER Ride from REAR....thanx

#23 ·
Hi,
after searching for ever after my air shocks died found another nice option from Greg w/ PRG. Greg has "Armada Airbag Delete 2 inch lift" setup on his site. Is Moog spring and Bilstein shock for rear to get rid of air shocks for good. Will give 2 inch lift with out the spacer. He has it on his site for $479 for rear shock, spring, and 5100's for front. I only needed rear so he did rear spring and shock for $300 shipped. Had to call few times to order w/o front shocks but well worth it. Will let you know how it rides after installed :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.