Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

HELP. Has anyone hooked up a electric trailer brake controller?

16K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  doug rogers 
#1 ·
I have the factory tow package.The simple instructions in the manual says to locate the wiring adapter above the parking brake behind lower dash.I can't find squat.Any advice would be appreciated.Thanks

#2 ·
To more easily find the adapter all you do is remove the two screws in the lower dash panel and gently pull the top out from left to right. there are just 4 clips holding it in on top and two screws on the bottom. Hope this helps.

#3 ·
Rumplecat

THANK YOU! Problem solved.I actually had already taken the two screws out on the bottom when I couldn't get access from below but I didn't want to force it loose from the top.However at this point with your input I just yanked the damn thing out and there it was.Took about two seconds.Someone needs to rewrite those instructions in the manual.There is no way I could get to it the way they tell you to.

Doug

#5 ·
Mine was in the rear storage compartment, under the floor. Keep in mind that you will need to splice it to your brake controller harness. You need to know what the various wire colors mean. I know what they are for the 06, but I'm not sure if they are the same for a 09. What brand of controller are you using? If you are using a Tekonsha (Prodigy?), to save yourself the hassle of doing the splicing, you can buy a pre-made harness from them specific to the Armada/Titan. Then, you plug one end in the truck, the other into the controller, and you're good to go. These harnesses are available on the Tekonsha website (www.tekonsha.com).

Keith

#6 ·
Campfamily

Thanks for the reply.I have a 2008 Infinity QX and the manual says they taped it under the dash,although it's not there.The trucks I have owned in the past came with the adapters in the glove box etc.Guess I'll find out tomorrow when I go back to the dealer.

#8 ·
tekonsha

The simplest, easiest thing is to buy the Tekonsha Prodigy with the plug in adapter.

This dealer will send you the controller, and Harness for Nissan with free 2nd day shipping:

http://www.brakecontroller.com/prodigy1.htm

I saw the tekonsha prodigy without free shipping for $98 at etrailer

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.