Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

VDC light, brake and slip light all on???

118K views 29 replies 16 participants last post by  DanF. 
#1 ·
Last week the VDC, brake and slip light all came on and stayed on. I took it to the dealer who reset the system and said it should probably have all the wheel sensors replaced and the the brake fluid changed since it looked dirty??
In less than a week the lights are all back on. This is on an 06 LE Mada with only 36K highway miles. Also, they want $450 plus tax for the above repairs if I let them do it. No thanks. Going to take it to my local mechanic next week. Appreciate any of your opinions and advice. Thanks. Vin:)

#3 ·
I have NEVER seen all of the wheel speed sensors go bad. I have had to change two before but that was only once in all the years I have been working on Nissans, and other makes. Sounds like someone does not know how to diagnose problems. You need to find a mechanic that is NOT a PARTS CHANGER. Those types of people give the rest of us a bad name.

#4 ·
cpaul said:
You need to find a mechanic that is NOT a PARTS CHANGER. Those types of people give the rest of us a bad name.
Unfortunately this type of behavior (PARTS CHANGER) is more the norm than the exception these days. If you find a true mechanic, hang on to them for dear life, because they are few and far between. cpaul, I sure wish you were in my neighborhood, because our local Nissan dealers could sure use somebody like you!

#5 ·
Thanks for your opinions guys. You supported what i already suspected but I needed to hear you tell me I was given bad advice. Its discouraging to have a new dealership have a tech make an incorrect diagnosis and have the Service consultant who was just promoted from being a tech, tell me they were sure it needs all new sensors and fresh brake fluid. Fluid it full, pads are fine. I just finished an 800 mile drive and these three light came on after 50 miles. After sitting overnight the lights are off now. I think its more a computer or electrical problem.Idiot lights on or off the brakes work the same. Am I right that its not a safety issue as long as I am not driving on slippery roads?? Vin :)

#8 ·
I had the same problem, I had nissan due a reset for the VDC on the computer and change pads, and so far i havent seen it happen again thank God cause i was worry that it was a dangerous. When the lights went on the brakes go into abs for safe mode and it doesnt stop normal.. Have them do a reset and check that all pads and rotors are good..Good luck i understand ur frustration...

#13 ·
Welcome to CA hersNOThis!

There is a diagnostic and adjustment machine/device called Consult II and Consult III. They use to for just about all computer and diagnostic adjustments on he Armada's computers. They (the Nissan Service dpartment) can flash or reset the ABS module with that. How much, I am not sure, most have had it done under warranty. If out of warranty, it could be anything between $20 and $170. We have a few Nissan service folks here at CA and maybe one of them will chime in soon with a better answer.

#15 ·
Flacko said:
Well when i had it done they B***sh** me if it is covered on the warranty they told me that it was $60.00 but so far i think its been 6-7 months and it hasent rehappened.. GOODLUCK
IMO, If you reported it as a problem and your vehicle was still under warranty, you shouldn't have had to pay!

#16 ·
Just a follow up to my having a dealer tell me i needed all new brake sensors and a change of brake. fluid. The dealer reset, lasted until the next time I started the truck. I took advise given here to top off the brake fluid. It wasn t low but i filled it up to the top. Since then, and without a reset, no red lights have come on. I have put about 1 K miles on since adding fluid. Hope this helps somebody. I don t know if this is incompetence or dishonesty on the part of this dealership but the experience is typical of my dealer experience. When J Powers or others ask if I would recommend Nissan to others my answer is always no. Not because of the car but because of bad dealers. Thanks to all of you for your ideas. :) :)

#17 ·
You need to make sure the dealer takes the blame for the bad experiance on the survey not Nissan. Let them put the pressure on the dealers for their shady practices.

#18 ·
dealers

You make a good point cpaul. I wouldn t knock Nissan for one bad experience but I have had this car to 5 dealers in almost three years and they were all bad experiences. I have called Nissan North America and found them to be of no help. I have five other cars that have been to dealers. Although expensive, usually the diagosis is correct, work is done correctly, parts are in stock or brought in overnight. So by experience, i have a bad attitude toward Nissan. thanks,:)

#20 · (Edited)
I'm having the same problem w/ my 06'. Could it be a factory defect or something? the car is riding fine but when you see lights. I just does something to you. You definitely dont' want to ride with lights on... Even if everything is fine. If any one can help w/ this problem let me know because my wife is going bizerk.....

#22 ·
If I can chime in:

Infiniti G35 driver here. (Possible soon-to-be Armada or QX driver)

Hanging out on G35driver.com for several years, I've never seen this problem NOT resolved by topping off the brake fluid, including both times I had all three lights come on simultaneously. Without fail, there's a weekly thread started by a panicking G35 driver who got all three lights on at once. To keep up the fail-less resolution, they're convinced to top off their brake fluid reservoir and their blood pressure quickly returns to normal.

Seems like the brake fluid reservoirs on Nissans aren't big enough to compensate for the additional fluid needed when the pads are getting worn down and the piston is staying further out of the caliper.

#25 ·
I have had this issue happen with the lights a few weeks ago, but I was unable to reproduce it. Now tonight as I was taking an on ramp to the freeway all three lights lit up at the same time. This time I noticed that I was accelerating around a tight turn.

A few miles down the road I took my exit, stopped at the light and shut the vehicle off. Restarted all the lights were off and everything looked normal. Having a feeling that accelerating around the turn caused the issue I tried to reproduce it by making to turns under medium throttle. Voilà the lights lit up.

So this would make sense that the brake fluid could be causing the issue as it would run to one side of the reservoir.

I will be topping off the brake fluid and watching things closely. Thanks for everyones input on all the topics here. This forum has been indispensable for me over the years.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.