Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

2008 Nissan Armada interior roof consoles cracked and hanging.

115K views 79 replies 39 participants last post by  Beau 
#1 ·
Anyone have this issue with the front and rear overhead consoles cracking around the mounting screws. Dealership offered to pay for 50 percent of the overall cost which adds up to 600 bucks out of pocket. I don't see why I would have to pay for that when it clearly appears to be cheap plastic that was used. Nissan also advised me that they would not be able to simply sell me the empty shell for the front and rear. SUCKS!!!!

#2 ·
My '08 has the same exact problems. The mounting holes under the sunglass holder cracked making the overhead compartment just hang. Just last week the large rectangtular compartment above the rear seats just cracked and fell to the floor.

To say I'm dissappointed with the quality of materials (plastic, metal, paint, rubber) used for this vehicle would be a huge understatment. It makes me miss my '97 4Runner.....

#4 ·
My 2008 has not done that....

Believe

#7 ·
I will try and upload a few picks of the front and rear consoles. I contacted Charlie Clark Nissan to try and find out if they would just sell me the main shell for both the rear and front but no luck. Apparently Nissan will sell you each and every other component attached to it but not the main shell. That sucks!! Still hoping that the letter I sent Nissan will be able to help with Good Will. Fingers crossed!!

#9 ·
Vehicle Car Luxury vehicle Electronic device Family car

Pic of the rear overhead console with crack. The rear overhead console started sagging from the headliner a little further back from where the crack is. You can easily check yours for any issues by opening the back large compartment, taking a flashlight and look to see if any cracks are around the two rear screws. Same with the front sunglass compartment. Flip down the sunglass holder and look up at the plastic around the screws. Let me know if anyone else has some issues in this area. Thanks!

#10 · (Edited)
Wow! I thought I was the only one

Here are couple of solutions for anyone who has went through this. Check out these threads:

This thread shows you how to get a replacement part for under 300.00 for the rear and what to do about the front.

http://www.clubarmada.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20623

This thread teaches you how to repair it if you want to go that route.

http://www.clubarmada.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17529

I had my break about a week after I bought my car and ended up fixing the front piece and replacing the back.

Please follow the post in the above threads they will have your baby back in one piece. :)

#12 ·
same thing happened to me!

This same thing happened to my 2008 Armada. It started with the back cracking and eventually happed to the front sunglass compartment. and the big rectangle storage also completely fell off. I was in the same boat as the above poster opened the door to find it hanging though not as bad. This dosen't seem right or safe. If it were to fall during regular use of the vehical it could definatly cause an accident. Nissan should address this! I found the replacement parts online at carid.com, But beware thry take forever to ship and give you a shipping date that will more than likely be a few days later they might give some runaround about how it was damaged and hey had to get a new one. my replacement consoles should be here tomorrow. 312.00for both shipped. here but again beware. Has anyone comtacted Nissan about this? I'm going to write them a email today with a link to this thread. here is a link to the carid website where i ordered replacements. The dealer wanted something ike 1500.00 for the parts plus labor BS!

carid.com part front overhead console-NNPA08OA

rear overhead console-NNPA08OB

#13 ·
This same thing happened to my 2008 Armada. It started with the back cracking and eventually happed to the front sunglass compartment. and the big rectangle storage also completely fell off. I was in the same boat as the above poster opened the door to find it hanging though not as bad. This dosen't seem right or safe. If it were to fall during regular use of the vehical it could definatly cause an accident. Nissan should address this! I found the replacement parts online at carid.com, But beware thry take forever to ship and give you a shipping date that will more than likely be a few days later they might give some runaround about how it was damaged and hey had to get a new one. my replacement consoles should be here tomorrow. 312.00for both shipped. here but again beware. Has anyone comtacted Nissan about this? I'm going to write them a email today with a link to this thread. here is a link to the carid website where i ordered replacements. The dealer wanted something ike 1500.00 for the parts plus labor BS!

carid.com part front overhead console-NNPA08OA

rear overhead console-NNPA08OB

Props to you if you found BOTH of these consoles for $300. However it appears as though these are overlays for the existing console. Nissan fleeced me for $400+ for just the front console. I'm crossing my fingers that the rear one doesn't break as well.

Please do update us when the parts arrive. You would be doing a huge service for those of us who are experiencing this problem.

#16 ·
looks like this is not just some of us.

Here are some links i came across with a simple search on google for 2008 nissan armada overhead console problems. Looks like it's effecting the 2008 models including some titan owners. I contacted nissan yesterdy via phone call and email asking them to address this potentialy dangerous situation. This could cause an accident or hurt someone sitting in the back particularly children and infants. It also seems other consumers have also contacted nissan about this has any that has contacted them heard any thing back from them? Seeing as i just did yesterday afternoon i'm still waiting on a response from them. I think EVERYONE having this issue should contact them in order to show them this is definatly a manufactures defect. links to follow for other 2008 armada issues. It did not hyperlink them for some reason but a simple cut and paste should do the trick.

http://www.arfc.org/complaints/2008/nissan/armada/structure/problem.aspx

http://www.faqs.org/car/nissan-armada-2008/structure/

http://nissan.pissedconsumer.com/nissan-not-backing-their-suv-s-quality-20120911344842.html

http://www.theautochannel.com/autoparts/salvageyardspartsnissan/armadaitems.html

http://www.fixya.com/cars/t11936044-find_overhead_console_nissan_armada

http://www.autopartsfair.com/used-parts-leads/nissan-armada_leads.html

http://boardreader.com/thread/2008_Nissan_Armada_interior_roof_console_1vcjsXg5w.htm

http://www.carproblemzoo.com/nissan/armada/nissan-armada-unknown-or-other-problems.php

http://www.aboutautomobile.com/Complaint/2008/Nissan/Armada/Body+and+Frame

http://www.clubtitan.org/forums/showthread.php?t=62087

#17 ·
UPDATE:

My Nissan dealer - Bill Ray Nissan in Longwood, Fl. is going to cover this 100%.
They put something together and sent it to Nissan. Under "Goodwill" they are going to fix it 100%. I've got to say that I will continue to buy vehicles from both Nissan and Bill Ray. Amazing customer service.

On the flip side, as it turns out, they had heard of this happening before, so it wasn't a huge surprise to them.

It's always nice when a manufacturer and dealer work together to do the right thing for customers.

Well done.

#18 ·
Unfortunately N1server's and my own original assumption were correct. This is why I called before ordering online! The funny thing is even if I would have orderd these parts the wrong color came instead of factory match it was woodgrain so either way not what I ordered. You know what they say about things being to good to be true haha. Sorry for the excitement folks dissapointed again. I guess I'm going to try another dealership to see if maybe they will except my extended warranty but I doubt it. Man what a headache!

#19 ·
Well folks, everything is fixed and put back together!

A big shout out to Bill Ray Nissan in Longwood Florida!
You guys are the best and why we continue to drive across town to buy and get our Nissans serviced by you!

From start to finish, under a week to get it fixed!!!

Way to keep us happy and in the Nissan family!

:bow:

#20 ·
OK PEOPLE!!!!!! I had the same issue and found this forum which has some good info. I called a Dealership in Houston with this part# 96939-ZQ02D and the parts guy told me nothing is showing for that number so I called the dealership where I bought my Armada. The part number came back good and when I asked what was the color of that piece, he asked me for my v.i.n. so he can look for the exact part for my car and it showed a different part number(96939-ZQ01A) WOW!!!!!!! the price of this piece showed $16.92. THAT'S RIGHT!!!!! $16.92. So I ordered it. What the hell, if it's not the right part we'll send it back and that $16.92 will go toward the correct one. Well the part came in and it is the correct part with the lights, a/c vents and controls. The only thing I had to do is remove the LCD screen from the old console and put it in the new one. The Parts guy couldn't believe it either. The part description comes up as REAR OVERHEAD FINISHER CONSOLE. It's for models with rear entertainment systems.

#21 ·
same problem....overhead console cracks around the attachment screws allowing it to fall...a very poor design...SHAME ON NISSAN...it should of had more attachment points and reinforcement brackets...this problem is not a matter of "IF" it happens to you...more like "WHEN" it happens to yours...unless Nissan changes this design flaw it will continue to occur. We never used the overhead compartments, but we were sure reminded the compartments were there when they came crashing down during a seemingly normal 3 hour trip.....

#22 ·
CONFIRMED!! Bighamp's post with the part number is 100% right! I ordered 1 just to try it and it showed up as the entire console for just $16.00! It is tan and comes fully loaded. My nissan parts guy couldnt believe it either. I just ordered 3 more for backups as I have a huge stereo and the vibration trashes the console. Thank you thank you thank you to bighamp!!

#24 ·
2008 Nissa Armada interior overhead console

I own a 2008 Nissan Armada that I purchased brand new. I am having the very same problems with the overhead console. Three weeks ago, as my wife was doing her usual drive home from work, as soon as she left the parking lot, the front overhead console came crashing down onto the dash and somewhat obstructing her view as she was making a right turn at a traffic light.

As if that wasn't enough dissappointment for a day, I turned to my local dealership where I purchased the vehicle from for help. They wanted $525.00 for the small assembly, saying that they wouldn't be able to sell me just the cheap plastic shell that was broken.

A couple of days ago.... You gessed it. On my wife's drive home the larger overhead console came crashing down to the center rear console and stayed dangling there the hole ride home. This time I decide that I had had enough of this problem, so I went back to the dealership and asked to talk to the Parts and Services manager. After assessing the problem and returnig to his office to discuss the situation, he came out, to deliever the bad news to me and my wife. He does not have any jurisdiction on this matter for the simple fact that it would cost over $2,000.00 to replace the broken overhead consoles. He suggested We contact Nissan Motors and hope for the best, given that our standart and extended warranties have run out.

In my opinion, this car costs way too much for parts to be falling apart while driving even potentially putting ones wellbeing at risk, as was the case with the front console dangling in front of one's view.

I have contacted Nissan Motors (1-800-NISSAN-1) as suggested by the service manager and I am impatiently awaiting the response form them regarding this matter. I will keep you posted whatever the result.

You folks have a wonderful weekend and stay safe.

#26 ·
Don't spend 2,000/- on a new part and definitely don't buy from the dealer. What's the point? Try finding these parts online, aftermarket parts or used parts or parts from salvage yards. That's what I would do if I were you. Of course, I would wait till you hear back from Nissan. If you get a positive response, then go that route.

I think we can find the correct manual for you to replace or fix that part. If you don't want to replace the part yourself, you can share those instructions with your trusted mechanic and s/he can do it for you. If no one is using those components/parts try to see if you can seal or fix them to their respective areas permanently.

#27 ·
2008 Armada Roof Console Cracked

Hello Everyone,

I saw that many of you have experienced the roof console cracking on the 2008 Armada's and that Jrm5f2 (SHIFT _Newbie) had just fixed there three days prior to their post. Did the fix last? If I buy the replacement part is it something we can fix at home or do I still need a mechanic.

My console just cracked so bad that I had to tape it (which isn't working) just so I could get to work so it doesn't crack. in half. The information you've already posted is WONDERFUL any additional information would be greatly appreciated.

#28 ·
Cracked Roof Console

Trying to decide what piece to buy to fix my roof console. Lots of great information listed here but I'm looking for clarification on what is the difference between a as REAR OVERHEAD FINISHER CONSOLE (BIGHAMP) and the Roof Bezel Console (Rear) (Jrm5f2). What is the difference?

#29 ·
I've been dealing with this roof console issue for a couple of years now on my 2008 Armada, and I really want to give thanks to "bighamp" for finding the absolute best solution to this problem. I was skeptical that his post was too good to be true, but I decided to try ordering that part since it was so cheap. Check out what I just picked up from my local Nissan dealership:

$16 Armada replacement roof console

In the images you can see the part that was ordered (96939-ZQ01A). I just went to parts.nissanusa.com and searched for the number (Link to search results).

Also in the images you can see how it was shown on my invoice (BEZELCONSOLE BOX)

And finally, you can see what was actually delivered. I've already ordered a second one just in case this happens again.

When I ordered it the dealership called and let me know the part was on national back order, and it might take until January to get it. I said I would wait. It ended up arriving in about a month.

I wanted to make a thorough post on this with images so people would feel more comfortable buying this part. Let me know if you have any questions!

#30 ·
Wow, that whole part is $17?????? Amazing! I'd expect to pay more than that for a single vent!!

#31 ·
WOW we've had many come through our shop with busted consoles...had to eat some of them before we finally refused to fix them any more. Dealer ship always blamed us for them breaking. (we do sunroofs and tv's in them) One of those "you touched it last" scenarios. And It's not just 08 models. This would have saved my shop some serious coin

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.