Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

Brakes Questions....

41K views 67 replies 35 participants last post by  Pops 
#1 · (Edited)
I need help, I'm soo confused. :confused:

I've searched and read through quite a few threads and I still can't figure out what I need to get. My pads are worn (63k miles) and my rotors have plenty of life but they're warped. The cost of having them turned is the same as buying a new cross-drilled rotor so I'd rather replace the front rotors.

I've found aftermarket to be much cheaper than OEM. I'm trying to figure out if I have Akebono or Bosch or if it even matters.

I had the Brake Fix done, the sticker on the back plate says "Bosch", so does that mean I have Bosch?? Does anyone's actually say Akebono??

So, what if I order the 350mm (Akebono) instead of the 320mm (Bosch), does it matter??

Does anyone have long term experience with Burtman's kit or the EBC stuff that Discount Tire is selling??

This is what I've found so far w/ free shipping, what do you guys think??

http://www.r1concepts.com/

Title : NISSAN ARMADA 2005 Front Brake Pads - Posi Quiet Ceramic 105.11830

Sku : 105.11830
Specs : Bosch Front Caliper; 320mm Front Disc
Sales Price:$ 53.50 (axle set)
Retail Price:$ 85.60

- OR -

Title: NISSAN ARMADA 2005 Front Brake Pads - Posi Quiet Semi-Metallic Extended Wear 106.11830

Sku: 106.11830
Desc: Semi-Metallic Extended Wear

$53.40 (axle set)
$53.40

--------------------------------------

Title : NISSAN ARMADA 2005 Rear Brake Pads - Posi Quiet Ceramic 105.10410

Sku : 105.10410
Specs : Bosch Front Caliper
Sales Price:$ 41.95 (axle set)
Retail Price:$ 67.12

- OR -

Title: NISSAN ARMADA 2005 Rear Brake Pads - Posi Quiet Semi-Metallic Extended Wear 106.10410

Sku: 106.10410
Desc: Semi-Metallic Extended Wear

$46.30 (axle set)
$46.30

Title : NISSAN ARMADA 2005 Front Brake Rotors - Cross-Drilled & Slotted EX.42090

Sku : EX.42090
Specs : Bosch Front Caliper
Sales Price:$ 131.20 (pair)
Retail Price:$ 209.92

- TIA

See less See more
#2 ·
like she says "size matters", you should use the 320mm. Mack at brakewarehouse fixed me up.
http://www.brakewarehouse.com/
Call him and he'll explain it to you. I used the cyro treated rotors and ceramic pads he suggested and they work great.

#4 ·
Hey pops,
i understand your frustration and/or confusion.
as for pads, i've have gone through many and have found that the OEM ones are the best in grip and in dust. Very little dust is produced.
As for rotors. Take a look at Stillen.com they produce quality stuff for nissan cars. a little pricey but very good quality.

Also, you should consider to upgrading to stainless steel brake lines if u havent alreday.
Given that your truck is lifted and requires more stopping power, ss lines would provide a more linear braking power as the lines would not expand like the rubber ones.

if u have any more questions feel free to pm or reply.
shawn

#5 ·
Bob, I just had to replace ours this summer.. warpped as well.

Just sharing my experience, I went with RotorPro's Black Zinc coated, slotted and dimpled rotors and hawk pads. Stops better then it ever did, and an added bonus of the zinc coating is no more rust on the hats and other non brake pad wear surfaces..

www.ROTORPROS.NET

I can post a pic tomorrow if you like.

#8 ·
This is a very timely thread. I haven't visited for a while, and was just doing some research at brakewarehouse and ran into the same thing Pops did. There are 3 different listings for rotors based on year/month. I would have thought that there would just be a single, current spec based on the last service bulletin/design but I guess not. Since the next go round will be on my nickle I want to make sure to do it right, knew right where to turn!

#9 ·
I went with the Hawk Performance Ceramic (front HB567Z694/ rear HB555Z678) and have not had any issues and very little brake dust issues... I had enough meat on the rotors so at the time I decided not to replace or upgrade, but when I do I plan on using drilled.... The pads were a little pricey, but IMO they were a great choice.

I did also upgrade to stainless brake lines while I had it up in the air also.

#10 · (Edited)
Thanks for all the help guys!!!! FWIW, my brake lines are extended lines made of Braided Stainless Steel. They were included as part of the Pro Comp Lift.

I tried calling Rotor Pros yesterday but I was too late due to the time zone difference. I called Brake Warehouse today and they spec'd out the exact same Posi-Quiet configuration as posted above through R1 except it was gonna cost about $200 more.

So this boiled down to me wondering about the difference between the Ceramic and Extended Wear pads so I called Centric (the mfgr of Posi-Quiet) directly and asked them. The Tech Support rep said they recommend Ceramic for the Nissan Final Brake Fix and newer. He said the Extended Wear option was only for the 2004-2005 models that haven't had the final brake fix done.

So, I went ahead and placed my order with R1 Concepts since they're running a sale that includes free shipping.

SKU TITLE QTY UNIT PRICE

105.10410 NISSAN ARMADA 2005 Rear Brake Pads - Posi Quiet Ceramic 105.10410 1 - $41.95

105.11830 NISSAN ARMADA 2005 Front Brake Pads - Posi Quiet Ceramic 105.11830 1 - $53.50

EDS.42090 NISSAN ARMADA 2005 Front Brake Rotors - Cross-Drilled & Slotted EDS.42090 1 - $131.20

UPS Ground Paypal Subtotal: $226.65
Shipping: $30.71
Promotional Savings:
--Free Shipping (Free Shipping above $150) -$30.71

Total: $226.65

---------------------------------------

Oh, and as I asked all of them if the slotted +cross drilled affected pad wear different than just cross drilled, they all said "not really, it does help with stopping a little better but doesn't wear the pads any faster enough to be noticeable." R1 Concepts reminded me they have a 1-yr satisfaction guarantee so he said I can return them in free exchange for the non-slotted if I don't like them.

Guess we'll see.... :D

(Update 5-mos later: Mar 2010) I've had no problems with these rotors at all. Absolutely NO Dust, no signs of wear, but there is a little bit of noise kinda like quiet delivery truck brakes that sounds typical of Cermaic Pads to me. I ordered a pair of replacement semi-metallic Front pads that I might change out sometime later to alleviate that little bit of noise and compare the difference, but the rotors seem to be doing very well so far.

#11 ·
Let us know how the install goes and your opinion on before and after.

I've been wanting to do x-drilled and slotted rotors for a while, but am waiting till my stock pads wear out.

#13 ·
Pops,
Here is the best source of braking information I have found in over 20 years of working on vehicles and motorcycles, including some minor SCCA solo cross efforts.

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/tech_white_papers.shtml

This paper on the myths of rotor warpage is highly recommended.

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp_warped_brakedisk.shtml

Be sure you properly bed the new pads in as detailed here.

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp_bedincontents.shtml

Good luck and let us know how it goes with the ceramic pads.

Mike

#16 ·
Hey Bob,

Did you get the rotors on yet....I am planning for my brakes...I plan to buy them...even though it maybe a while before they get put on...since these are pretty new (rotors and pads). Looks like the previous owner or CarMax put new ones on........But I miss my R1concept brakes on my G35!

#17 · (Edited)
Not yet.... I went to Orlando for a week and got back on Monday and arrived as my new roof was being put on the house. We found grain moths in our kitchen pantry so my wife emptied the pantry and last night I went through 4-tubes of caulk filling all the gaps that they can live in. Tonight I'm gonna try to finish shampooing the carpet (I only have the upstairs left to do). I just found out my daughter has the H1N1...

So.... I'm hoping to get them put on this weekend along with putting wifey's new KYB struts and shocks on her Murano. I just hope i don't catch that stinkin' swine flu between now and then. :rolleyes:

#18 ·
I have wagner thermo quiet pads on all fours and they provide much better stopping power than stockers. THey are full ceramic and put up to constant abuse. I have yet to have these fade. They dont squeak which is surprising for ceramic pads.

#19 · (Edited)
I put these on the weekend before last and they've been GREAT so far, especially for the price. So far, i have no signs of any dust at all and they are quiet, oh and the ride is so smooth now. Wifey is jealous because the Armada is now riding quite a bit smoother than her Murano even with the new KYB GR2 shocks I put on it for her that same weekend. This is back to the ride that attracted us to this big beast in the first place, it's just alot bigger now. :D

#22 ·
I just replaced the front pads on the Tank. I bought my pads at Pep Boys, and they gave me a coupon to have the rotors turned for $10 - It was a lot cheaper then buying new rotors.
That's a great price!!!!! I thought about doing that but I really don't want to deal with my rotors eventually warping again. My concern is I'm afraid that it might potentially cause some bearings or a flange seal to wear prematurely.

#26 ·
Absolutely NO Dust, no signs of wear, but there is a little bit of noise kinda like delivery truck brakes. I'm going to call them and ask them to send me some Semi-Metallic Pads instead of keeping these Ceramics. The sound sounds typical of Cermaic Pads to me.

#29 ·
im at the dealer now (using their wifi :D) and checking in on you guys... i am STILL trying to get my nav updated to 09-10 version AND im going to have them install my monroe ceramics (which the shop forman here recommends to folks due to best overall quality, low dust, quiet...) and my bilisteins... front shocks, rotors turned, all pads and alignment $500... could have saved a few dollars going to a couple places but at the end of the day i just sleep better at night knowing nissan did this stuff...

#30 ·
I have a question, is anyone having any problems with the slotted rotors cause I am about done with using stock rotors and pads for my truck.
They wear down too quick and the rotor keeps being warped every time causing me to have to replace them each time my pads need to be replaced.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.