Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

Serpentine Belt Removal/Replacement

177K views 142 replies 69 participants last post by  gt601 
#1 ·
I was just wondering how hard it is to change out the serpentine belt on the mada. I know you have to take off the fan and there is only four bolts. What about the auto tensioner how do you loosen it? Any help is appreciated.

#91 ·
thanks a lot guys. no more squealing. the weather was getting colder and colder and the squeal annoyed the hell out of me. i used the gatorback one, ending in 71...

#94 ·
Just trace on paper the way the belts go. Then use a ratchet wrench and turn the tensioner to relieve tension. Remove and replace.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

#95 ·
I know a lot of people are running the Gatorback belt with no problem, but I'm curious. The stock belt I have has groves that match up to the grooves on the pulleys. The Gatorback belt has a different pattern that doesn't line up with the pulley grooves. Is this okay and what others have too?

#96 ·
Andy, I'm sorry I can't answer your question. However I did have issues with the Gatorback. My truck sounded like it had a super charger with a constant whirring / whining noise any time I accelerated.

I ended up going with the OEM belt and it was back to quiet. I replaced it again this weekend (<20 min) after about 30k because it started chirping again at idle on damp days.

I know a lot of people love the Gatorback but it did not work out well for me.

#97 ·
I installed the gatorback and also had the supercharger sound but it went away after a couple months.

#101 ·
I felt the same way. It's been a good belt so far and still quiet with our rainy weather and trips up into -25c snow country.

#102 ·
Just wanted to say thanks to those that contributed to this thread. I just replaced the belt in 30 mins. The info here is spot on. The toughest part was to get the belt lined up with each pulley. But since I knew that going in, I was patient. I used an OEM belt from nissan.

#105 ·
1 hr job including clean up

I read this thread two weeks before doing the job and forgot a crucial step, locking the tensioner!! Once I found that it only took 5 mins to get the new GY Gatorback 4070970 on. Replaced the belt because it was squeaking when it got wet. Just bought it in Oct and it was squeaking at the dealer so I had them replace it before I took it. They used an OE belt and it started squeaking 3 weeks after. That's what drove me to find this site and I am glad I did. Got my belt from Summit Racing Equipment for $37.

#106 ·
The tensioners aren't great quality and will cause similar symptoms. If your belt was changed and you heard noise three weeks later, you should check the tensioner too.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#107 ·
I bought the Goodyear belt tensioner the same time as the Gatorback and have been very happy with it.

#111 ·
Correct size for 2006 Armada - Serpentine Belt

All, I have a 2006 Nissan Armada, I can see I can get the OEM belt for like $28, not sure of the length though.

The Napa Belt is 97.75 inches in length
Autzone has Dayco at 97.30 inches in length

I guess I should install the Goodyear Gatorback Belt 4070975 (which is 97.5 inches)

thoughts?

#112 ·
All, I have a 2006 Nissan Armada, I can see I can get the OEM belt for like $28, not sure of the length though.

The Napa Belt is 97.75 inches in length
Autzone has Dayco at 97.30 inches in length

I guess I should install the Goodyear Gatorback Belt 4070975 (which is 97.5 inches)

thoughts?
97.3 is the OEM exact size. I have been running the 97.5" Gatorback for several years.

#116 ·
Wow. I haven't seen that before. Glad you caught it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#117 ·
I replaced mine in about 20 min. Didn't remove anything. Piece of cake. I actually did it in a hotel parking lot, about 500 miles from home. I had a spare in the truck (for the long trip) and when I took a look at the one on the truck, I didn't like the looks of it, so I swapped it out.

#122 ·
Replaced mine today on my '08 with a Gates Micro-V AT belt from O'Reilly's. Part # K070971. 106K miles. The original was beginning to feel hard and brittle. No whine noise that I can detect.

Easy job...took about 20 minutes. I did take off the air tube to give myself more room. I used a 3/8" socket with a short cheater bar. Also used a 12 penny nail to hold the tensioner pulley in place.

#123 ·
Just did mine and took 30 mins. Used a OEM belt and fit perfect. Thanks for everyone's write up and the diagram was perfect.

#125 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.