Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

Extremely loud motor (? ) cycling on and off

11K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  davidw 
#1 ·
every once in a while I get a very loud motor or something that cycles on for a few minutes. Service dept. didn't leave it running long enough to hear it so they sent me packing. They said AC compressor is fine. Whatever it is cycles on and off evenwhen the AC is off. It's so laud that whenver someone is in my truck and they hear it the make comments like wtf is that noise.... The intermittent issues are always a pain in the rear and I have only 400 miles of warranty left so I figured I 'd see if anyone has any thoughts.
Speaking of warrany my rear differential was just replaced under extended Nissan warranty ( Vaden ) . Im thinking of re etending it.

Anyway I'm oping some of you guys may have ideas of what this could possibly be ...

Happy Thanksgiving... ( 74600 mi 2008 LE )

David

#4 ·
Motor sound or sound like a jet plane taking off? It could be the fan like 2012platinum stated. Mine is pretty loud but I don't think its that loud during driving. can you maybe describe it in more detail?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using AutoGuide.Com Free App

#5 ·
what you are hearing, if its coming from the engine, is the HUGE REAL TRUCK fan revving up to cool the engine.

I LOVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEe that sound. it sounds like a MACK tractor when they start off from a standstill. You know you hear the truck go through like 6 or 7 gears to get the truck up to 30mph. :D I love that sound and its totally normal.

on the Q, sometimes from a cold start the fan will ROOOOOAAAARRRRRRRRR for a few seconds... :D love that sound... yes Im special...

#8 ·
turns out after jumping out of the truck once I heard it cycle on it actually is the rear leveling motor. Problem is it's turning on out of the clear blue while I'm driving or stopped at a light. Taking her in on Monday.

#9 ·
You might have a leak and it is not holding air if it is turning on often. It should turn on when it sense the air shocks are lower in air then its setting. Mine comes on sporadically also but not often. the reason of it being loud is because the compressor has 4 tiny bushing and they might be worn out. Mine are worn out and its just the little metal tube inside the bushing and its rattling against the bracket.

#10 ·
if you are in colder temps, then yeah as the air gets colder, its more dense and the bags will sag below the threshold. pump turns on to fill bags back up. its like when the air in your tires goes down a bit when its cold outside.

not much they can do if you are in a really cold climate. could be a leak, sure, but i think its just the outside temps.

and good grief you can hear the pump INSIDE the car?? yikes that sound and the fan in the engine are two distinct sounds.

i had a 2008 and it would do this here and there in the colder winter months. I think all the folks with the air bag suspension system have experienced this.

#11 ·
I'm in the Philly area..Its been in the mid 50s around here so it not really cold yet.. Yep I hear it inside as well as a bit of extra vibration. The thing is insanely loud. The leak makes sense so off the the shop tomorrow..

Thanks for all of the replies guys..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.