Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

Tires Feedback

57K views 64 replies 43 participants last post by  ehidle 
#1 · (Edited)
I thought it'd be nice to have a thread for tires reference where we can read everyone's feedback on their likes and dislikes.

For sizes, we can run anything up to 325/60-18 & 33x12.5-18 and anything larger will require the Pinchweld Mod with anything less than a 4" lift kit. Keep in mind that this would be on stock wheels and when shopping aftermarket wheels, we need to be careful of the backspacing or these sizes will not fit. Also, you may want to watch the tire weight since most of us are driving the family hauler and weight seems to be the biggest MPG killer on the Armada/Titan reducing the diameter and rolling resistance to being hardly noticeable factors.

I have the Nitto TerrGrappler in 325/60-18 and I LOVE them but they are 60lbs/ea heavy and do hurt MPG's to about 12mpg daily.

Here's the ones I know of:

Long standing high ratings with members on here:
Michelin Crossterrain
Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo
Toyo Proxes - 285/60-18
Nitto Terra Grappler - Toyo Open Country A/T (both are same tire)
Toyo Open Country M/T

More recently received good feedback:
Toyo Open Country HT
Bridgestone Dueler H/L
Falken Ziex ST04 (avoid the ST01 for road noise at 10k miles, they get pretty loud)
Goodyear Silent Armor (still waiting for long term feedback)

Those are all I can remember.

See less See more
#30 ·
Hey Cadences, how are the Cooper Zeon LTZ's??!! I am about to pull the trigger on a set, and i'm wondering how quiet they are on the road, and how well they handle in inclement weather. I'm in Colorado Springs and I need something that's reliable. Let me know!!

#39 ·
UPDATE: for you soulbrother2007 and others:

During the Blizzard last week I took a friend home during the storm. The snow was already 2 feet deep and higher in the snow drifts. I had the Armada in 4H.

The Cooper Zeons worked very well. They had no issues going through the drifts, accelerating, and or braking. I was only going about 30mph but I would periodically "test" the pavement by braking hard or mashing the accelerator and the big Nissan responded well. I'm very happy with the performance of the Zeon LTZs! I have about 4000 miles on them already.
Picked them up from DiscountTire for just over $1100 for everything.

bk

attached are some pics after I got home from a fun night out in the Blizzard..

Attachments

#32 ·
I've gotta say- I'm getting ready to put in an order for Cooper DISCOVERER H/T PLUS tires for the QX. I can get a set of 4 for 435 and 100 shipping. They seem to be more of an on-road/sport truck tire and get great reviews. For that price- I'm almost willing to try 'em and use 'em for a year or so if they're junk.

#33 ·
Keg, Im not sure how they ride on Qs & Madas, but I have a Chevy Express 2500 work van that I have Cooper Discoverers on. 3 of our techs have changed out from the OEM tires to Cooper Discoverers, & so far we love them, one tech went back & had a new set put on to replace the worn Coopers (we do a lot of driving, Ive put 35k+ mi on my van in a year). You are right, they aren't real aggressive, but they are a decent on-road LT tire, with decent tread for slight off road & wet driving.I think we are paying around $800 for a set of 17's I think. $535 doesnt sound bad, & I havent heard or seen anything bad about them.
Let us know what you end up doing.

#34 ·
Ive also done alittle research on the Cooper Discoverers and they seem to be the real deal. Plus on Tire Depot there $435 a set (includes a $25 discount), and about $100 for shipping. Not bad at all. I got do some local shopping to see if anything else compares, but if not, its a done deal.

#35 ·
This summer I bought Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza 275/60HR20 to replace OE Michelin Latitudes on my 2008 Armada LE, after 43k on the Michelins, they needed replacing . After 10 K on the Bridgdestone tires I'm happy to report they ride smooth and quiet. Now in the middle of a harsh NE winter 70+ inches of snow they are handling snow and ice without a problem. Paid under $800.00 OTD including installation, disposal, balancing, stems,valves,etc, from Town Fair Tire in the Boston area, they matched internet pricing without a hassle. Also, the Bridgestones are H rated, have much better grip than the Michelins and cost less. They are wearing perfectly. I would reccomend looking into these tires if you need to replace yours . If you live in an area that gets snow, these are much better than OE.

#36 ·
Noted Achamp, im going to look into the Bridgestone Dueler's as well. The make or break for me is the price (getting married this summer), but at the same time, you are in an area that gets hit by snow alot so you definitely know what your talking about. Thanks for your input, its appreciated. I stopped by the local Discount Tire store today, but they're closed on Saturdays, so ill have to visit them tomorrow.

#40 ·
Michelin LTX

I just put my second set of Michelin LTX 265/70/R18's on my Grey Beast. Last set was almost to the tread indicators and I had well over 100K miles on them. I had them on my previous vehicle and had 120K miles on them when I traded it in on my Armada. These are the newer LTX MS/2 and would expect the same performance. They are quiet, and very smooth. I have them rotated every 5K miles which is very often with the amount of driving I do but it's free and close to home. I'm sure when I hit 280K miles I'll be ready for another set.:D

#41 · (Edited)
Putting on a set of Cooper Discoverer HTP tomorrow. Will report out after installation.

#42 ·
I am looking to replace the Hankook DynaPro AS tires on my 04 Armada. I have done some research and many say that they the best. I am looking for a highway tire. Live by the shore in South Carolina, so no snow in the future. Costco offers the most for buying and installing with them. Plus they are nationwide. Any suggestions.

#43 ·
Very happy with my Cooper Discoverer HTP tires. They do very well on the highway- quiet and handle very well and have also done very well in the deep sand of OBX. Add to it that the low price, and I'm very pleased thus far.

#50 ·
arc6,

Did you end up with the Nitto Crosstek? Would love to get some feedback.

#46 ·
Well if you'd like to try a more aggressive looking all terrain thats got minimal road noise, I have been running the Cooper Zeon LTZ for 5000 miles now in our stock 20 size of 275/60-20's and am really sold on them. Very good wet weather grip on rainy roads and really good offroad grip. Here's a couple pics.:D

Attachments

#48 ·
I just looked at these today in the same size. The only question I have is that I went from the stock 8 inch wide wheel to an 8.5 inch. The stock Michelins fit fine so I assume these would too. I see that you have Liquid Metal wheels as well, did you move up to an 8.5 inch wheel and do the LTZ's fit good on them?

#47 ·
I had the Cooper Zeons installed on my QX a week ago and it poured today. Traction seems great on wet roads, very pleased so far even though I have less than 600 miles on them. I was intentionally trying to spin the tires on the wet roads today and really couldn't do it.

Only downside is they are 13 lbs. heavier than the stock Michelins I had so there is a noticeable difference in acceleration and braking. Still not bad, and definitely worth the increased grip.

#49 · (Edited)
Hello SDak. I actually went with the 20x9's on the LiquidMetals and the tires fit really good on them. The discount guys over here had to take a second look when they got the wheels and tires on. I guess you could say they liked the combination of the Cooper Zeon with the Liquids and gave me the thumbs up on the truck. Very minimal noise for an aggressive A/T but so much better than the Michelin Lat's all around especially when it comes to grip on wet pavement. :) Here's some pics.

Attachments

#51 ·
Would these rub or require some modification?

33X12.50R18

#52 · (Edited)
Any thoughts on my situation below:

- Running 305/60/18 (Cooper STT's) on a 2.5" spacer lift
- Now giving the beast over to my wife as I've gotten a new pickup that will take over the heavy offroading/playtime kind of stuff
- She's 99% a city driver, although this is Denver, so snow, etc are not uncommon so I'd like to stick with an A/T
- We'll also still use it for mild off-road (gravel/rocks/dirt) for family camping, etc

Looking at 2 options:

- Leave the lift on and get a less-agressive tire in the same size range (305/60/18, 285/65/18 appear to be the only real choices here. Possibly Nittos in the 295/70/18)

- Take the lift off and go slightly larger than stock (maybe 285/65/18). This opens a lot more possibilities, but obviously taking the lift off is more $$.

I thought it would be easier, but there seems to be a lack of options in a non-mud tire around the 32.5-33 inch tires.

#54 ·
Best ride/off road tires for P275/60r20

I have an 09' LE. I would like to eventually put a Daystar 2.5" leveling on it, front and rear. What is the best tires I can put on it that will agree with the life. I have stock Michelin tires on it now. Do I need a smaller rim size for bigger tire or would BFG Rugged Terrains T/A 114s work well? Discount tire said $906/4 OTD. Thanks

#55 ·
I'm going to have to jump on the bandwagon and recommend the Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza. I had them on my Yukon XL and they were great. They were quiet, handled well, and got me through sand and snow. I had almost 50,000 miles on them when I traded in my Yukon on the Armada; they still had a ton of tread left. I know have them on my Armada.

I didn't see anyone review the Silent Armour yet. I had those on my Expedition. I was not too impressed. They were quiet and handled well in the rain. Snow performance was pretty horrendous. At around 30,000 miles they wouldn't pass inspection.

#56 ·
Just to confirm, we can run 325/60/18 on a stock height/stock rim armada and have no rubbing issues? Even at maximum turn?

#58 ·
Had Dueler Revo II's for the last 2 sets of tires and thought I would try Michelin LTX2 M/S this time around.

I felt a difference immediately in regards to tire grippage and handling. It is a good feeling. We drove home on the hwy at 70mph and it was nice, it felt softer than the worn Revo IIs.

I went for these over the latter because of the ratings on tirerack and hopefully the wet and snow braking distance will be better.

#60 ·
I had the same exact experience after going through two sets of Revos (I and II). The Revos were unstoppable (rain, snow, dry) when new, but they quickly wore down to nothing.

I upgraded my rims to 20"s and got the LTX MS/2s. Despite going up 2" and from a 70 to a 60 series profile, the ride was noticeably smoother. Rain performance is phenomenal and dry handling also improved. I cannot speak for snow as I don't use them in the winter but members here claim they are excellent due to the extreme siping of the tread. The zig-zag sipes also lock together during handling needs creating the advantages of a solid tread block.

Hey guys, anyone of you have any suggestion from winter tires. My 2010 needs some new rubbers and I really don't know what to put on. Either stay with 20' and put something like Duratrac and run them all year long or go with some 18' and get new wheels...

Any input? anyone?

I got the Duratracs for my winter tire on my stock 18" rims. There is no other tire I have seen that looks as cool as them and they really give the truck a beefy tough-guy look.

The ride is surprisingly comfortable for an LT tire (I run at 40 PSI) I think due to the massive tread blocks that cushion the ride.

They are good in snow (snowflake symbol rated) but wet and dry performance suffers and they are HEAVY and LOUD. Not mud tire loud but you will definitely hear them especially when near a center barrier or wall .

Did you ever see Batman Begins or the Dark Knight with the new Bat-mobile? That's pretty much what you can expect...howling angry rubber sounds during any kind of driving or quick maneuvers....and a 2+ decrease in mileage due to the weight (though perhaps better than the Bat-Mobile :) ).

I got the Duratracs because I learned that my 20" chrome rims would get eaten away by road salt in the winter. I hemmed and hawed about getting another set of LTX MS/2s for my 18"s but decided to go with the cool factor (as the MS/2's are great tires but far from pretty).

The Duratracs have been good but I can easily spin them when wet and that sort of made me lose confidence in their wet performance. Snow is a non-event but I think that the MS2s may have been better unless it was extreme deep snow I was going through.

So bottom line, if you want to make a mature decision and get the best all year around tire with the better gas mileage get the LTX MS2 (They often run sales where you can get a gift card and I found Costco had the cheapest price).

If you often find yourself in extreme snow (like over 2 feet), love the cool factor and don't mind a dip in dry / wet performance / gas mileage get the Duratracs.

Let me know if you have any other questions - happy to help!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.