Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

When to use the snow mode on 2012 QX56?

17K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  tsadkins 
#1 ·
I was reviewing the literature but thought I check with the subject matter experts to make sure I understand correctly.

First - the snow mode is design to reduce acceleration or limit power from the accelerator (I think). Am I missing anything else? Seems like the gear ratio really changed up when I tried it out during the test drive but I was not sure.

I bought it used so I not sure how much this dealer really knew about the snow mode.. (I live in south Texas so not likely to put it to the test!) In the manual – it describes using this for coming down and up snowing icy inclines and declines.

So if I am travelling down the interstate and I am concerned with possible ice, would it be bad to turn on the snow mode while I am in Auto 4wd all the time?

Is there a certain speed I should be concerned with or should this only be used for low torque / low speed situations?

Thanks for any insight. We have really been enjoying the “Q”.

#2 ·
Here's what I got from the manual:

For driving or starting the vehicle on snowy
roads or slippery areas, push on the SNOW
mode switch. The SNOW mode indicator
light will illuminate. When the SNOW mode
is activated, engine output is controlled to
avoid wheel spin.
It sounds to me like they use a different map for the throttle. For example, maybe you have to press down twice as much to get the same power as without snow mode. It would give you more precise throttle control.

#3 ·
Thanks Evan. Do you have a QX56 with this option?

I am curious with other's experience using this mode. I would think Infiniti has engineered it so that I don't overheat or damage something but I never assume!!

I could really feel a difference when I engaged it for the test drive; but I was stopped and only drove it in this mode for < a quarter of a mile in a Houston subdivision. (flat, slow, and no snow!)

BTW - Do you have the manual electronically? I have not found it in that format yet.
Thanks again.

#4 ·
#6 · (Edited)
Thanks Evan for the electronic manual links! Seems that the main manual is corrupted file at the infiniti site but I will reach out to them on that. The rest downloaded great!

marctronixx - Thanks! Thinking of it like that will dictate when it should, and equally importantly - should not, be used.

#8 ·
You must be psychic Evan! That is exactly what I did this afternoon and it worked fine. Thanks for the suggestion. I also submitted my question to Infiniti just to see what they would come back with reagrding hte snow mode. Will share what I hear back.

#9 · (Edited)
As promised, here is the response I got from Infiniti regarding the 2012 QX56 snow mode. I thought it was interesting that I can push the button to engage it at any speed. I think I will give that ago while it is still under warranty. :rolleyes: Of course - who drives 70 mph in the snow; not this Texas greenhorn.

"In regards to your inquiry, information on Snow Mode for your vehicle can be found on page 5-100 in your vehicles owners manual.

To answer your questions, Snow mode will keep vehicle in lower gear and reduce torque in snowy situations. This mode is designed for used in slick snowy conditions but may not be of used in black ice situations. Snow mode can be used in 4WD and at any speed. We do however recommend the use of caution when driving inclement weather."

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.