Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

Remote Start

17K views 31 replies 15 participants last post by  n8dogg 
#1 ·
Well, we had a remote start system installed this week. It works really well. They had to use a bypass module, which is stuck somewhere under the dash. We didn't lose a key.

It's a Prestige system, apparently by Audiovox. It does use a separate remote, but that remote locks and unlocks the car, and starts it. The factory remote still works the same way it always did. The installer even thought we could leave one of the original keys in the console and just carry the new remote.

The only slightly annoying thing is that you can remote start the car, but then when you get inside, you have to tap the brake, killing the engine. Then you can restart the car with the turn knob on the dash like always.

Even the auto headlights work as they are supposed to!

#4 ·
You should be able to remote start, get in the truck, put the key in the ignition, turn the key to on, and then drive away. If you actually have to press the brake and then restart the truck to go, there is a problem with the wiring setup or the unit is faulty.

#7 ·
most of the time i forget i remote started and hit the brake and kill the motor:crikey:

#8 ·
gotta put the the key in and turn to "on", that way no one can drive it away while you're warming it up.

#9 ·
When you remote start you should keep the doors locked then use your fob to unlock when you are ready to get in then noone will drive off with it.

#10 ·
It's something to do with the Nissan Intelligent Key. You have to put your foot on the brake (killing the engine) to turn the knob -- not key -- from off to start. There's no way around that, according to the installer.

If you just hop in the car when it's not running, you can turn the knob to start without putting your foot on the brake. For instance, before, if I was strapping in the baby in the backseat, my wife could, from the front passenger seat, just reach over and start the car to get the air running. Now, though, you have to have your foot on the brake pedal to turn the knob from off to start if you used the remote start feature. I'm sure it's some sort of safety feature.

The installer did say, however, that if it was a push-button start, you wouldn't have to kill the engine before starting it again. I don't understand why Nissan didn't just go ahead and put the push-button feature in -- they've got the technology and it can't cost THAT much more.

#11 ·
you need to find a better installer. I spent the day at my guys shop doing my radio and I asked him about this. You should NOT have to restart your car.

Reactions: stormtrooper505
#12 ·
I have an 08 LE and had a remote start installed at the dealer when I bought the truck. When I remote start my truck I have to get in and turn the key to the start position. If I hit the brake pedal before I turn the key the engine shuts off. I do not have to step on the brake to start the truck. This sounds to me like the installer did something wrong.
Frank

#13 ·
OK, but remember, I don't have an actual key to put in the ignition. The remote (Intelligent Key) just has to be in the car, and I turn a knob on the dash to start the engine.

I had the same system installed on my 2006 Ford Five Hundred Limited. When I get in that car, I just put the key in, turn to run, and drive off. But the Armada doesn't have an actual key to put in an actual ignition. There are sensors somewhere detecting that the remote is in the car and that allows you to start it. Turning the start knob requires you to have your foot on the brake pedal (if the engine was already running to begin with -- as in, you used the remote start feature).

#16 ·
So is there not a slot in the middle of the knob for a valet key? Our Murano was the same turn knob but we only had one fob so i had a spare key and just used the key to start because my wife kept the smart start fob in her purse.If so you should be able to insert the spare key and turn the knob.

#15 ·
Let me ask you this? Remote start aside.
In car without intelligent key, if I wanted to listen to the radio without turning the engine on
I just turn the Key to ON. Is that possible with the IK system?
I was reading on the G37 forums where a guy say he can remote start his car, get in and before hitting the brake he hit the "Start" button in his car twice, in essence putting it in ON and now he can step on the brake, put it on gear and go.

#17 · (Edited)
gents,

the IK (nice way to say Intelligent Key :D) system is a fob with an actual key inside of the fob. if your fob were to die you would use the key.. put the key in the slot and turn it over.

the armadas 08 and up have the IK feature but you need to leave a fob in the car.

we have many discussion on this back when the 08s surfaced. how Phillip has his installed is how its done on the armadas with the IK system....

with the IK system, you have to put your foot on the brake m shutting the car off, then you turn it over as normal. this is how it was done on several 08s + with the IK..... this was one reason why i didnt go for a remote start as i would have to give up a fob and the push the brake/kill the motor/start normal cycle was too much...

redarmada,

did you have to give up a fob or a key? what model remote start did they install?

i think there is a box you can now install (some type of relay box... forget the technical name) that may alleviate this issue with the brake pedal issue...

#18 ·
Thanks for the explanation.It makes more sense now.Yea with the Murano we didnt have to hit the brake to start the car just get in with the IK in your pocket and turn the knob over.They make things so difficult now-a-days...

#19 ·
Fortunately, we didn't have to leave a fob in the car. They used a bypass module (that cost me $100 extra) to avoid that. The installation people did say we could leave a fob hidden in the car and just use the new remote to start, lock, and unlock the car -- I think we'll not be doing that.

#20 ·
My brother had an aftermarket alarm installed on their '10 Murano. Its also a Prestige model from Audiovox so it could be similar to what the OP had done. Anyway, when his Murano has been remote started, the vehicle doesn't shut off and need to be restarted manually. Once inside, all he does is push the START button to the ACC/IG, step on the brake and its good to go.

Even with all the different OEM "IK" systems available, when paired with an aftermarket alarm/remote start, the vehicle should not shut off and have to be restarted once in the vehicle.

I'd bring it back to whoever installed the system and have them look it over.

Reactions: stormtrooper505
#22 · (Edited)
i guess phillip could try that (turn it to acc/on).

i remember though on my viper that had remote start on a car that did not have IK :D , one had to step on the gas to DISARM the alarm. if one simply got in the car , inserted the key and turned it on without pressing the pedal, the car would shut off.

i think thats why phillp has to press on the brake. w/o remote start, we dont need to press the pedal to crank--one just needs to have the fob nearby.

with all respect to you guys.. this is the way it has to be done with the armada and the IK. without the bypass module (that was what i was speaking about earlier--i had forgot the technical name of it!) one has to keep a fob hidden in the car. again this was one reason why i didnt bother with remote start. we have discussed this last year--and also discussed how viper has an app for the iphone/ipod that could remote start your car.. this was all in the same discussions.. :D

so in the end , phillip's install is correct. there is nothing wrong with the installation. that is how it has to be done on the armadas with the IK. we dont have the push button but the regular mechanical cylinder hence why this brake step is needed..

#23 · (Edited)
Stepping on the brake is fine after remote starting, but the engine shouldn't shut off afterwards and then have to be restarted again. That defeats the purpose of remote starting.

Although the newer Armadas don't use a push-type button for the IK system as mentioned, doesn't the mechanical cyclinder have the ability to switch to ACC/IG; if so, then by depressing the brake pedal, the engine shouldn't shut off after being remote started.

For example, my 04 can be remote started and when activated, I enter my truck, insert the key into the ignition and turn to ACC/IG. I follow that by stepping on the brake and the engine never shuts offf. Only if I step on the brake first, will the engine shut off.

The new IK systems work exactly the same way, minus the physical labor of having to press the button(s) to unlock/lock the doors, inserting a key to start the vehicle, etc..

#24 ·
Primo, dont shoot the messenger bro! :D

im not a mechanic nor electrician nor do i work on cars for a living--im just passing along info that was discussed last year and in previous threads... all im saying is phillips install is the same as the early installs were on other armadas... meaning there is nothing inaccurate or wrong with the install as it fits inline with previous installs.

so someone with a 08 and up, go get a remote start and post up how your remote start sequence operates and we can compare notes. if there is a better way then post it! we can take this info to install shops and get it done without the brake pedal issue...

#25 ·
Nothing but love for my fellow armada owners... as long as you don't try to convince me those fake, stick-on "escalade vents" are functional. :p

Just looking out for the OP and want him/her to get their money's worth with the added feature(s).

I would even suggest to contact Audiovox for any additional info.

#26 ·
primoV8 -- if you don't use the remote start function and just want to listen to the radio while you are, say, cleaning the car, you just throw the factory remote in the console or cupholder or wherever, turn the knob to ACC/ON and listen to the radio.

If you have used the remote start, and the engine is running, factory remote in the car or not, you can't turn the start knob. It just won't move. I tried it because I thought of that "work around" the night we got the remote start installed. If you left the radio/DVD/air conditioner/nav system/whatever on the last time you shut off the car, it all comes on when the vehicle is remotely started -- which is really why we got it: it gets hot in Louisiana, so it's nice to get the air going while you're loading packages/babies/grandparents into the car!

#27 ·
Trying to get concrete info here.... I have a '15 w/ intelligent key.

1. Did you use your factory fob, hit LOCK 3x to start car?
2. Do you have to restart vehicle before driving away?

One shop said I can use the factory fob, another shop said I can't. One shop said the car will shut off once I open the door and I'll have to restart the car. The other shop wasn't sure due to Armada not having push button but also not requiring a physical key.

Argg!

#28 ·
I have an 11 with the intelligent key,I had the dealer installed the remote start using the same intelligent key it starts the vehicle, runs for 10 minutes @ clip ,open the door still running and turn the truck ignition to start An it disengage the remote and is ready to go.

#30 ·
I just bought my first Armada. It’s a 2014 platinum. I had them install a remote starter at the dealership it’s a idatastart. It works great but after I remote start it I have to hit the break to shut off engine and restart the vehicle.... is this correct or is it installed incorrectly?

#31 ·
as this thread can show, it is normal in some cases.

The reason it does this is due to the security. the key is not near the car when its remotely turned on, so stepping on the brake and then restarting is how the car recognizes the key.

With the help of an additional module (bypass module) and/or hiding an extra key, you can prevent the car from having the need to shut off.

you can certainly go back and tell them you do not want to have to do the extra step of turning on the car. they should be able to offer you another solution, at an extra cost perhaps since it may involve adding more parts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.