Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

Brake pedal to floor w/grinding noise

22K views 25 replies 16 participants last post by  TexArmadaman 
#1 ·
Every once in a while, when I apply the brakes, the brake pedal went to the floor and I heard a loud grinding noise from the front of the vehicle. This happens randomly. It could happen once or twice a month and then not at all for the next month.

I immediately shut off the truck while cruising and turn it back on while cruising and it fixes the issue and I am able to stop fine.

How many of you guys have experienced this??

What's worse is I took it to the dealership and they don't see a problem. :mad:

I have an 2004 Armada LE.

#2 ·
i have had this happen but it was when i had to slam on the brakes and the abs light flashed, i guess to keep the car from sliding. the only other time is when i was braking and hit a patch of ice it did the exact thing you are describing.

#3 ·
actually that has happened to me as well, I forgot all about that. I actually believe that was the first time I experienced the problem.

#4 ·
Well I have this problem every once in a while, and I tried to switch off the vehicle once but I couldn't because I have to shift it to P first to complete the transaction and I put my self in a mess hardly trying to completely stop the vehicle to return the gearbox to P and start the engine again!!!

But I found the solution thanks to Allah, by cleaning the battery (+) and (-) along with the clips by this tool:

Try my solution and also make sure the battery is not weak

#5 ·
The ABS controller must be reprogrammed by the dealer. That will solve the problem.

#6 ·
Thank you guys. I will try all of these and see it happens again. Hard to tell because it only happens every once in a while.

#14 ·
OK! I will,

I was having this problem too many times in a month, and I discovered a weakness in the battery because the battery water evaporated completely, and luckily I just added water and the battery become strong again and the problem with the brakes gone!

So I assumed that if abs computer didn't get enough power from the battery it will make this problem with the brakes.

And after several months the problem occur
so I checked the battery but it was fine and I was sure that the brake system didn't get enough power from the battery which makes this problem
so I cleaned the battery terminals and fantastic the problem disappeared

not a permanent fix but it's a solution that i'm satisfied with.

Thank you

#8 ·
Before you start buying parts or having service work done you need to use a code reader to see if you have the C1179 code. If so, you must have the ABS controller reprogrammed. That will correct the problem.

#9 ·
well I know it's not the battery because I put a new battery in with new terminals. Since I put this post up I still have not experienced the problem. It's very sporadic. It might not happen for another month or two. When I take it to nissan they can't find any problems.
I read in another forum that it only reads an error code when it has happened, in other words don't shut off the truck because then it resets. However, I would have to own a code reader to do that, or I would just be sitting on the side of the road till a mechanic came out to me. Is the Superchips Flashpaq a error code reader as well? (been thinking about getting one of them)
I always come to this forum before I invest money into the truck to see what you professionals say about what ever my concern is.

Thanks again Armadians. lol (armada people)

#10 ·
I have had this before too. Scr38 is correct on the fix. There is a tab that explains the procedure. Just print and take with you to the dealer.

#11 ·
Abs

This problem only occurs when semi braking to hard braking and the front tire or tires slips a little but causing the abs sensor to go off. At this point the abs controller freaks out and sends a message to the brake booster sensor to not work propery allowing the brake pedal to feel spongy and fall to the floor. And since it's not an engine problem it doesn't store the code. So the only way to get rid of this at the time of occurrence is shut the vehicle off which resets the abs controller computer. So basically like everyone else is saying get the abs controller reprogrammed. I was able to make this reoccur this when my tires had about 60 %thread left and braking hard on semi slick road.

The reason why sukaini thinks the battery trick worked is because when he shut off the vehicle and pulled the battery terminals out he was able to reset the abs computer and not able to reoccur the problem.

#13 ·
Delta sensor

I personally think replacing the delta sensor was only the first blame not knowing what exactly the problem was. A lot of people has gotten a new delta sensor installed and still came up with the problem months later. I had this problem before. And since tire replacement and abs reset. Haven't had the problem much and since the abs computer reflashed from Nissan I could not get to reoccur. Nissan won't really do anything until you can prove that it's happening. But then again it's unsafe to drive. Never got my delta sensor replaced. I think it's just a waste of money.

#18 ·
hey Baledis1 i too have an '04 mada LE and it does the same thing you are saying....out the blue it does that, luckily it happens when im going slow so i manage to stop and put to park and then i turn the engine off and then turn it on again and that problem goes away.....like others have said i have gone to the dealership and mentioned this problem and they do not know what it could be....so im clueless as to what it could be too.......i have noticed that when this problem occurs the red BRAKE light comes on.....

#20 ·
You won't have a light. The code is in the ABS controller, not the ECU. The reader must be able to read the ABS controller. I think it would be best to go to the dealer and have them check for the code. The dealer's Consult must be used to reprogram the unit.

#21 ·
I have this same problem with my 04. It happens every once in a blue moon and then not for a long time. Just two days ago it happened while the wifey was driving so she parked it and two days later (today) she took the boy to school today and the same problem. NOT SAFE!!! Does anyone recall how much the stealership charged to reset the abs controller.

Thanks as always

Nick

#23 ·
so aggravated with this. My 06 Armada is doing the same thing. First the dealer said they couldn't find anything, now they are saying replace brake booster for 1293.00. Is the c1179 code something different? It really angers me that Nissan isn't taking care of this problem. I'm seeing posts all over the internet. Maybe I should trade it in...very concerned about safety.

#24 ·
I believe that c1179 is for ABS/VDC module. It a was discuss here. I believe the remedy is/was to have the dealership flash your module with the new software. Or if you have the newest already then have them reset it. It had help some members out when they did it.

tap tap with my galaxy nexus.

#26 ·
Brake issues

This has happened to me twice on my 05 LE. First time, dealer replaced pads, resurfaced rotars. Needed to be done anyway. Second time was earlier this week (about 6 weeks after brake job) happened again. Almost slammed into the back of another car. Dealer kept it overnight, reprogramed ECU. So far no issues, but it has only been a day. Dealer opened a claim with Nissan (not sure what that means?)
If it happens again, will Nissan reimburst?
Wifey said if it happens again, we will be saying goodbye to Armada :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.