Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

How to move front factory roof rack bar

14K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Pops 
#1 ·
Put my Thule faring on the front, and it sticks out on to the sunroof about an inch, so I need to move the front factory roof rack bar back - about 2". I loosened the screw that is under the silver tie downs, but it was not budging. Does the screw need to be removed, then remove the 'cover'? Before I took any crazy steps and break it (which I have a history of doing) - thought I would check first (manual useless). Thanks...

#3 ·
Thanks - already did that with my Thule cargo box - np there. However - the front air fairing hooks up to the front bar, and as it is now, the faring edge sits on top of the sunroof - so I have to move it back a few inches to make sure that when the sun roof tilts up - the fairing is not in the way. Picture of a fairing here - just imagine it hanging over the sunroof...

http://www.stateofnine.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/ThuleFairing_m.jpg

#4 ·
I didn't think the front roof rack bar would move. Would be great if it did, I've always considered that to be a shortcoming of our trucks.

#5 ·
I'd remove the fairing if it were me, unless it's actually needed for something...

If you really wanna make this right, you should just order and install a 2nd crossbar (shown below as # 73808N) for the rear side and forget about using that front cross bar... Most everything that fits a standard roof rack should be able to fit on the rear part alone for the most part. I've contemplated doing that several times but have no need to (yet).

http://www.courtesyparts.com/kb_search_result.php?keywords=[73808N]+ta60&cPath=1063_1064_1172_1188

#6 ·
Pops -

First - thank you for the schematic! That actually helps, as I can see that to remove or move the front foot for the bars, you have to remove the cover and there is a 2nd screw which is likely how to adjust and move and or remove the foot. The fairing is 'supposed' to help with gas mileage as I have Thule bike rails and sometimes have the cargo carrier. That said - its mostly aesthetics for me - I think it looks cool! ;-) I like the idea of adding a 2nd bar to the rear - there is def. enough space to use just the rear for anything I need... Thanks again!

Dex

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.