Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

VDC? what the hell does it do?

151K views 23 replies 18 participants last post by  F4N4EVR 
#1 ·
ok...i have a 2010 armada, that we got a few months ago. i see the VDC button on the center console...but what does it do? any benifits turning it on/off??

#2 ·
#3 ·
VDC stands for Vehicle Dynamic Control. What it does is selectively apply the brakes to individual wheels when the system detects slippage in any particular direction, say wheel spin, or if the vehicle is oversteering or understeering. It is a very valuable tool that could keep the vehicle from spinning out, or losing control in another way. In certain circumstances, it can hinder performance, which is why it has a button. For instance, if you're stuck in the snow, wheel spin can actually help you get unstuck. But, VDC will prohibit wheel spin, so turn it off, and you might have more luck getting out.

I believe there is a description of what VDC does in the owner's manual that came with your vehicle.

Keith

#4 · (Edited)
Good for nothing, gets in the way... ABLS applies the brakes for better traction control... VDC cuts the throttle when the ABLS isn't enough to stop slippage... ABLS=GOOD, VDC=BAD... :D

In a nutshell these videos would not be possible if the VDC was still on because it would've cut my throttle and I would've gotten stuck, they are both with "VDC Off" :

2011-12-17_12-05-10_384.3gp - YouTube
red dirt mud 1 - YouTube

#7 ·
I never turn VDC off under normal driving conditions. It is a good thing.

#8 ·
The VDC comes on when traction become an issue. If it feels you losing traction the VDC prevents the rear wheels from spinning. The first time I went to the beach in the Mada as soon as I got hit the sand the Armada just stopped and I thought I was stuck. I thought to myself "beast my ***" but then I figured out that it was an operator malfunction as I was being pulled out.:p

#9 ·
If you turn it off you can do a burnout

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

#17 ·
Before I get new tires in the spring, I'm gonna turn it off and go drifting. Otherwise it stays on unless I want to slide the rear end in a turn.

#22 ·
Now that it will do if you cut the VDC off, Its still amazing at the Traction the Armada gets compared to other Suv's I have had and driven. it goes like a Tank.:D

#18 ·
Those are some sweet videos!

#19 ·
VDC Button

I am still not sure about the VDC Button .... Off? for dry roads? On? for wet and snowy roads? If left on, on dry roads is it bad for the transmission? gas mileage, what are the risks? The light on the dash board can be distracting, and not knowing for sure what's best for my vehicle, not being 100% sure is uncomfortable.

#23 ·
I am still not sure about the VDC Button .... Off? for dry roads? On? for wet and snowy roads? If left on, on dry roads is it bad for the transmission? gas mileage, what are the risks? The light on the dash board can be distracting, and not knowing for sure what's best for my vehicle, not being 100% sure is uncomfortable.
Nah, just leave it alone and it's good to go. Turning it off is only good for playing around and getting a little wreckless. :D

#20 ·
I have had it on for ten years and there has been no ill effects. The only time I have turned it off is to have fun in the snow.

#21 ·
The wife's armada's VDC stays on all the time for the wife. She doesn't like driving in the snow so it makes her feel a little better. In my titan, I basically turn it off anytime I am going to intentionally need wheel spin. So basically anytime I go off roading and anytime it snows. I don't like the feeling of my vehicle cutting off my throttle in the snow as there has been a couple times I've had to swing the back end around in a vehicle to avoid getting hit. Luckily I have never gotten stuck because I forgot to turn it off. But I have forgotten To turn it off and the truck stopped moving until I turned it off.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#24 ·
vdc senses rotational tire slip. so if your right rear tire is spinning on snow, the vdc applies the brake to that tire to match the rotational speed of the left rear tire and forcing the car to apply torque to the other side tire. Madas don't have posi traction (sorely needed) or lockers, so it doesn't do much. If you have a 4 whl drive mada, that doesn't mean you get 4 wheels applying thrust at once. you get one front and one rear at a time- opposite sides, but since the car flips a coin to see which tires get torque when, the best you can hope for with the transfer case lock selected is right front and left rear, cycling to left front right rear, cycling back and forth. The vdc makes the slipping tires stop spinning so the vehicle can apply torque to the opposite two tires. If you turn it off, the left right cycle is random and you may get both right tires spinning followed by both left tires spinning. If you have two wheel drive all it does is reduce the rate of torque application so it doesn't slam from right to left.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.