Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

Armada Rear Springs

200K views 465 replies 64 participants last post by  bellwilliam 
#1 · (Edited)
Ok people.

Just thought I'd let you guys know that I have talked PRG Greg into doing some R&D for our rear springs. He said he's going to be getting a couple sets and looking into providing some ready to install Eibach springs to the Armada community... :) I know a few of us will greatly appriciate it and snap up a set- this will possibly partially cure the rear end sag many of us with Auto-Level have/are experiencing.

When I learn more I'll let you guys know... but for now that's all I've got.

**UPDATE**
I just spoke with Greg @ PRG Products and he said that he is going to start doing some testing tomorrow on the stock rear Armada spring(s) he got in. They have been INCREDIABLY busy past month or so and he said he is just now making head way on getting caught back up. I will keep everyone informed on the results and if Greg will start offering direct replacement upgraded rear springs. :D *crossing fingers* IF he does and we get enough intrest maybe he'll give us a group buy... :)

SO that you do not have to scroll through this entire thread I will post a quick synopsis of what has occured and info gathered here:
1. Airlift 1000 bags were initially looking very promising, but member here found out that they are NOT designed to provide any LIFT and had an extreme reaction when attempting to inflate (air bags turned into giant red blobs that squeezed out between spring coils and "totalled" the air bags).
2. Firestone bags appear to be best bet for air bags contained within OEM rear spring (as of yet- no reports of air bags turning into blobs as with the Airlift 1000s).
3. IF going with Firestone best to postion bags with fill position pointed up so as to decrease risk of air hose catching on debris and to maintain ground clearance.
4. Airbagit system completely REPLACES rear springs and is WELDED into coil bucket. (these can be designed to work with lifted applications, but would require serious modification if wanting to adjust in future).
5. Rancho and a couple other shocks can directly replace OEM shocks (both auto level and non auto level).
6. Bilsteins DO NOT MAKE A DIRECT FIT shock for the rear Armada/QX56 shock, BUT you can get a 5100 to fit with some slight modifications.
7. Per Greg @ PRG- TITAN REAR SHOCKS WILL NOT FIT REAR ARMADA/QX56 REAR SHOCK LOCATION! Titan rear shocks are MUCH too long (hopefully will be able to talk/get Greg to stock direct fit rear shocks for Armadas/QX56s in not too distant future)
8. While this thread is titled "Armada Rear Springs" it covers almost the entire Armada/QX56 rear suspension issues/replacements.

See less See more
Reactions: gm01gm
#135 ·
Update Update Update

Okay so chatted with Greg tuesday last week and he said he was able to complete testing on our rear springs and been able to do some research into possible upgrades.

Greg said our rear springs were 400 lbs per inch and was thinking 500 lb/in would be a good upgrade option.

He said unfortunately Eibach didn't make a spring that fit the bill, but he did locate a local source that he was in process of getting more info from. Greg also said the new upgraded springs would possibly add a little height. :) ALL good news!

As I stated in my update on the Intrest in Lift thread, I know Greg is an uber busy guy and I have been trying not to be too pushy about the rear springs. I haven't been able to get in contact with Greg since, but when I do I'll be sure to give everyone the update.

The good news is that we are several big steps forward in getting new upgraded rear springs. :)

#136 ·
Thanks Kooshtaka for the updates! I for one am looking forward to the 500lb/in rear springs that will raise the height a bit. :D That along with the front suspension spacer will give me the much needed clearance for 35" tyres. :bow:

Btw, would you be able to know whether extended shocks will be required in the rear for those without auto-levelling package?

#139 ·
beau I checked the link but couldn't find any specs.

if I remember correctly it could be that spring rate and lb/in are the same. not sure though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

#138 ·
Hey guys, just throwing in some info on the firestone airbags. Bought them before I read this and installed them in about 40 minutes. I decided to put them in with the fill valve up to keep the lines away from everything. Worked fine as far as I can tell, there was room between the frame and the top of the bag for the airline to come out. I kept mine seperate and just manually fill them. Inflated to 25 psi and the thing drives like a different truck. I didn't have the airshocks but the stock shocks were shot. (say that 3 times fast!) Bought some new ones online, said they were rated for the Armada but they didn't ride like they were, it would bottom out before I put in the firestone bags. Totally different ride now though and got maybe 1/2 to 1 inch of clearance at 25 psi. Haven't towed yet but I'm sure they will make a difference. I would recommend the firestones to every Armada owner who isn't doing a lot of the upgrades you guys have been talking about.

Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: Fireman
#140 ·
Rear Springs

Kooshtaka... It's good to know that Greg is trying to find a supplier for a stiffer/stronger and possibly higher spring. After locating a supplier any idea how long it would be before the springs become available?

I need to buy springs sometime in the near future and im not sure if i should wait for Gregs option or just get the (non auto leveling) SE springs from Nissan. I think that they are higher and possibly stiffer than the springs on the (self leveling) trim lines like my LE.

I recently removed the self leveling components on my LE Mada and i find that the original springs are too soft and the rear is lower than the front, that is why i want to purchase the springs and correct this issue. Thanks.

#141 ·
Ok so here's an update for peoples:

Talked to Greg Tues. morning and he said they are looking to get either 50-100 sets of upgraded rear springs for the Armada ordered first couple weeks of November. He didn't have an exact price for me as of yet but he did say they would be very reasonably priced and since NAPA doesn't supply their springs anymore this will be one of the only places with them available. :)

#143 ·
Hopefully cheap :D

#144 ·
Rear Springs

Thanks for the update.... That's good news. I will order a pair for sure. You mentioned that they would be ordered in the beginning of Nov. but when would the supplier have them ready to go?
Can he give us a idea of the spring specs? Will it give any extra height? Do these springs fit Armadas from 2004-2012?

#145 ·
Thanks for the update.... That's good news. I will order a pair for sure. You mentioned that they would be ordered in the beginning of Nov. but when would the supplier have them ready to go?
Can he give us a idea of the spring specs? Will it give any extra height? Do these springs fit Armadas from 2004-2012?
I don't have the spec but from talking with koosh it will add a 1/2 inch height IIRC. And it will fit 04+

Sent from somewhere...

#148 ·
I'll be giving Greg a call tomorrow morning to see if there are any updates on the rear spring situation. Might have an update for the 6 in lift situation also. Keep in mind that, as Richard said, Greg is UBER busy and the rear springs are most likely NOT in his top priority list and currently I'm not trying to move them into his top priority list.

#149 ·
Ok so I have an update for everyone on the Rear Springs topic.

I talked to Greg and he is going a different direction altogether on the issue. No longer looking to get upgraded rear spring replacements at this point due to supplier not able to guarantee build quality that Greg would be satisfied with. Soooo... Greg has started working on putting together a direct fit coil over option for us with Radflo struts. :D Needless to say I'm fairly stoked for this development. They would delete the auto-level shocks, but they would work very well with all applications (lifted, stock, towing, etc). Also Greg stated the spring portion of the coil over would be EXTREMELY customizable and wouldn't interfere with doing some sort of air helper spring in the stock rear springs.
This is most likely wont materialize until sometime after the new year (possibly several months out). ETA is yet to be determined. SO stay tuned and I will update as info comes in. Pops or Richard possibly may make updates also as they have been helping me stay in communication with Greg and they have their own projects going on with Greg.

#151 ·
Yeah Greg was telling me about it and he was definitely less than pleased with them. IIRC Greg said that he asked the rep if they would be able to "Hot wrap" the coils to same specs as Eibach and guarantee consistent quality- Rep said no prob and then Greg got word somehow that they couldn't meet the requested specs and Rep wouldn't answer Gregs calls anymore. Shady Reps need to be strung up! lol

#154 ·
Bump...

I'm still looking for a good option. I'm currently still have the stock auto-leveling setup (that leaks, but otherwise works) plus the Firestone bags.

The Firestones make towing my toy hauler bearable, but after 30min of driving, the stock shocks are deflated and the whole thing is starting to sag again, even with the Firestones at 50PSI.

Seems like the Firestones just don't add much height by themselves.

I'm debating the following as relatively cheap fixes:

1. Ditch the stock shocks in favor of Ranchos or equivalent.
2. Route the factory compressor lines to the Firestones to maintain the auto-leveling control (still need to determine the stock line size in order to get the right pneumatic fittings).

I think theses mods will make the everyday ride much better, and the low to medium weight auto-leveling should work excellent. I'm a bit worried about how it'll do with heavy weight towing though - still not sure the Firestones can add enough lift to keep it from sagging under a 500# tongue weight.

The Napa springs w/ a 1" spacer (or SE springs?) may be the third required step to make this a complete solution. Are there any sources for the Napa springs still?

#162 ·
... looking for options to make the rear end a bit more stout. I don't have auto level, just springs with air bag helpers.
Maybe my next move will be a set of Timbrens?

http://www.timbren.com/
Stoutness is my goal. I have an '08 LE w/ the air system - currently out of commission, and I want to beef up the rear to be more truck-like for towing a 6200ish lb TT.

I did have the Timbren SES, originally bought to tow with our '09 Pathfinder, however we upsized trailer, got an Armada to deal with it, and after looking at the rear IRS I decided that the Timbrens wouldn't do much for the Armada except be a progressively resisting bump stop... but there's enough suspension travel that the Armada doesn't seem to come close to bottoming out.

So, I want to replace my rear springs with the non-tow ones (or the NAPA ones rated at 2207 lbs load... same thing?) and I'm also looking at rear coil spacers to help pre-compensate for height lost to tongue weight.
- Would I be in the ballpark to assume that 2" spacers would be a good combo w/ the stiffer springs? I've seen the PRG's, but there appears to be an argument for polyurethane as well...

I am undecided on shocks. If I can replace a couple of o-rings and get the air system going, beautiful. But... I am having a hard time trusting it anymore for towing. It worked well - when it was working!
- The Rancho 9000 adjustables are looking mighty tempting.

#156 ·
NCP2773543 is the part # for the non tow springs at Napa, from their website.

If U R having a leak issue, better to find the source B4 U invest a lot of time & effort into it. U might use the original compressor and ditch the OEM shocks, that's what Pops did. But, if the source of the leak is the compressor and not the shocks. U end up working against yourself. Just a thought FWIW.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using AutoGuide.Com Free

#175 · (Edited)
NCP2773543 is the part # for the non tow springs at Napa, from their website.
Isn't there a tow or HD version that would be better? Are these a higher spring rate than the SE springs?

When you enter the vehicle info and browse rear springs, napa has three different part numbers. None of which are the one quoted above. No specs.

Napa shows them at $154 ea for the ones quoted above, hopefully that's for a pair.

http://m.napaonline.com/parts/Parts...0090+2090005+27804&Ntt=&Ne=25000&Ntk=Category

Edit found specs. I was in the mobile site. Looks like this is the right one: Coil Spring - Rear
Part Number: NCP 2773545

#157 ·
Well I just hooked up the stock compressor to the Firestone bags, and fired it up. It leveled the truck just fine (no weight in it of course), maybe not quite as high as with the stock shocks. Now I sit back and wait to see if that solves the leak issue. If it does, the stock shocks are getting yarded, and I'm on to my next decision: Ranchos or other? Then finally, stiffer springs, or 1" spacer?

#158 ·
Jrod,

Get a spray bottle and some soapy water, effectively what we call "leak seak" and spray it all over where you have conections. If it's leaking it'll show.

As far as spacers or stiffer springs, it really is in what you are looking for. A stiffer spring will have a higher spring rate which of course will increase its ability to cary more weight. The spacer may give you the height you want but it will not increase ability to cary more weight and then the difference in cost.

Sent from my SPH-D710 (Samsung Galaxy SII) using AutoGuide.Com Free

#159 · (Edited)
So the stock compressor hooked up to the Firestones didn't leak over several hours and several miles, but I did come out the next morning to flat bags. I suspect there's an overpressure release on the stock system that's letting the air out. The Firestones just can't get the lift the stock shocks can, so I think the compressor runs until max pressure/timeout, then just shuts off.

At this point, I've unplugged the stock system entirely, and I'm manually filling the Firestones. Ranchos will be installed this week, as well as 1" spacers to get some ride height back. The Firestones will from then on be used for supplemental weight carrying ability.

Heavier-rate springs would be great, but I'll be damned if I'm spending much more than $100 on this thing. It's already 7 years old, and brakes are up next... :mad:

#161 ·
A lot of people go with spacers from prg products

#164 ·
Thanks for the thoughts!

I tend towards overcompensation perhaps, maybe it comes from limping home early last fall with such a sagging rear end - having a leak in the air system somewhere, my Blue Ox WD could not level me.
I think it's because only the light duty springs were supporting the cargo and tongue weight.
IMO, a truck rated at 9100lbs towing should have more serious springs and a more reliable air levelling system, if those are the two elements that make it work.

The spacers were in the plan as some additional height insurance, since finding out that the stiffer springs sit at the same level as the light duty ones they'll be replacing.

Here's the crux - a dealer service advisor told me the compressor was 'shot', and quoted me just shy of $600 to have a new one installed. However, I can hear the compressor working - and last fall my wife and I could both hear a pssssssssssssssssss sound at different times. I think it's connections.

If I can't fix the air system, short of replacing the compressor, I'll put Ranchos in instead for the time being, and maybe look at restoring the air system some day.

btw - since researching this topic, searches almost always led here, to club armada.
So, thanks to you all for the place, and the great info in the discussions! Very inspiring!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.