Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

rear wheel bearing and hub

29K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  cheaky 
#1 ·
hi fellow beast owners, does anybody know if it is easy to change out the rear wheel hub as i have a shot bearing, i just bought a new Timken one @ $313 US and the mechanic wants $200 to change so was wandering if this is something that i can do with moderate mechanical knowledge and tools?thanks

#3 ·
anything special i need to take into consideration?? im doing the repair tommorrow, hope fully this will end the vdc, abs and 4x4 lights im getting. plus the rear is making a horrible scuffing noice. I just had custom quad exhausts done and the noise from the bearing is messing up the sweet v8 rumble!!!

#4 ·
so had a go today, removed rim, removed caliper and rotor and removed 32mm bearing nut and now cant open hub bolts, the drive shaft seems to be in the way and you cant get a 15mm to fit cleanly on, anybody have any ides?? 58 views on this thread surely somebody must have an idea??any body??? helloooo people???

#5 ·
I have no idea but I think that I have the exact same problem with my armada. Seems to not rub when the car is cold in the morning but as it warms up thats when I start hearing the rubbing. Took the car to my local tire and brake shop thinking it was warped rotors and they said they found nothing. So, now I am thinking that I have a bearing problem. I'm about to put 2,000 miles on that truck within the next 2 weeks......wish me luck lol.

#6 ·
You have to remove the six bolts from the drive shaft flange, at the differential. You then move the drive shaft down away from the differential, then use a block of wood and a hammer to push the end of the shaft out of the housing. You can then remove the hub bolts.

#7 ·
big thanks scr38, i will try that today, ryan i spent a week trying to figure out what my problem was, then a friend of mine heard the sound, jumped out of the truck and gave the wheel a shake and it was real wobbely, also you can tell if its a bearing problem by turning from side to side, ie. if you turn right and the noise gets louder then bearings on left side are pooched or reverse when turning left!! i ordered bearings from usautoparts.com timken make the best bearings cost around 260 plus tax and shipping

#8 ·
so i had another go today and couldnt get it off, put it all back together and took it to the mech., turns out that the shaft has forged itself onto the bearing and wont separate, even under a press, they said im gonna need a new axle at a cost of 700 hundred bucks from the dealer plus around 500 bucks for labor plus the 315 i already spent on the new hub!! I shoulda torched it and bought something else!!~ so far this year have replaced: radiator, power steering pump, wheel seal, complete exhaust, 4 new tires, rear a/c (which was patched up) high pressure steering line!! this thing gonna break me!!!!!!!!!!

#9 ·
so finally there is light at the end of the tunnel (although dim) the mech. called me back and the puppy is all up and running again, they were able to free up the shaft from the bearing using heat and 2 bearing pullers and they didnt need to replace the shaft! total labor was 4 hours or 469 bucks incl. taxes, altogether with the cost of the timken hub this adventure has set me back 800 bucks ( plus the 800 on the exhaust 2 weeks back and the 300 for the windshield on the wifes car and the 800 on wifes new tires etc.etc.etc.) this has been an expensive season on the cars hopefully the gremlins are done with me and will move on to the jones house next door lol
puppy is alright and set for a big drive to california in july wish me luck!!

#10 ·
Glad to hear It's all set. Yes, that is quite a bit of cash for one season. Hopefully it will be a while before you have to spend any more.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.