Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blower motor resistor?

101K views 37 replies 23 participants last post by  Tmation 
#1 ·
My blower motor remains on high no matter what posistion the fan speed is set to. After doing some reading it sounds like it could be the blower motor resistor. Can anyone confirm this? I have been able to locate the part online for about $40. The problem is, where the heck is it located in my Armada? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

John

#3 ·
I don't think the resistor is the problem. If you have a resistor failure some or all of the lower fan speeds would be affected, but not high. On high the resistor is not in the circuit, it is bypassed. If your blower is on high all the time, no matter which speed setting, then the problem is probably in the front A/C control unit. If something shorted across the entire resistor it could cause the blower to be on high all the time, but that is very unlikely.
Attached is a drawing of the A/C inside unit. You can see the location of the resistor. The service manual states that the unit must be removed to get to the resistor, but it looks to me that you could get to it under the unit.

Attachments

#7 ·
Yes I did. As I have the Automatic climate control system (not the manual system) it was not the blower control resistor. The rear blower in my Armada has the blower control resistor, but the front blower uses a Variable Blower Control Module. I've been looking through my receipts for the part number, but I can't find it.

I just did an internet search for it and I'm having trouble finding the correct part number. I recall going through this trouble when I was looking for it originally. I wish I had better documented where I located the correct part. I think I ended up calling my local Nissan dealer, getting the correct part number from them and then ordered it online.

My blower would only operate on high. After replacing the blower control module it has worked perfectly ever since. It was also extremely easy to replace yourself. It is located on the bottom of the blower assembly right above where a passengers feet would be. There was only 2 screws, I believe, and one electrical connector.

If you have any trouble finding the correct part, I will dig more deeply through my junk and find the receipt. Also, I can take some pics of where it's located if you need any help with that. Good luck.

#9 ·
I can't remember exactly, but I believe it was under $100. I got the part number from the dealership, but I ordered the part online and replaced it myself. As I stated in my previous post, it was a very easy DIY repair. Nothing needs to be removed to get to the module. It's right at the bottom of the blower assembly, right above where a passenger's feet would be. Remove an electrical connector and two screw and it's out. Reverse to install the new one and you're done.

#10 ·
Great post and info guys. Over the course of the weekend my 07' QX56 started exhibiting the same problem where the climate control system would only run the fan on high despite the fan speed displayed at lesser increments. Manual adjustment either turned the fan off or put in on high, with no intermediate speeds working. I did some research and purchased a Variable Blower Control Module (27151-ZM70A) from my local Nissan dealer for CDN $68.00.

Changing the module on the QX was as simple as removing a plastic panel underneath the glove box and then taking the module out with two screws and disconnecting a 4 position connector.

Here's a pic of the module I removed (5 fins), the one I replaced it with from Nissan only has 3 fins which equates to less heatsink area. I read the 5 fin is newer but in my instance it failed regardless. The new module works great for the front climate control blower.

Attachments

#14 ·
All I have to say is THANK YOU SO MUCH! This thread was incredibly informative.

This happened to my QX last month and I just got around to repairing it (was going to take it to the dealer). Thankfully I researched it first and saw this magnificant thread.

I went to the Nissan dealer this morning, got the part and installed it myself (along with the cabin filters) and it was a cinch!

-Amanda

#17 ·
Fan stuck on high

Thanks all,
My 06' Armada stuck on high after my wife clean the car and discovered the battery dead.
I charged it up but a week later died again.
During this battery episode the fan would not slow down from high.
I'll order a Control Module tomorrow 18OCT10.
Don't know if the dieing battery has anything to do with it.
Maybe the wife damaged the unit cleaning...I'll take a look.
Thanks all.

Attachments

#18 ·
WOW!!! how fortunate that i'm not the only one who has gone through this. The problem is my fan doesn't even turn on when its hot out (I live in Arizona) and when it cools down at night, the fan only blows on high. I hope this fix solves the problem. I will order the module tomorrow morning while its getting the oil changed.

I think the high this week is 96...so I need my blower to work ASAP!!

#19 ·
Adding a bit of detail to an old thread -- for those doing this job on an 2008 (maybe other years too?), you need a 5.5mm socket or nut driver to remove the screws holding the resistor in place. Never needed one of those before, but Lowes had one for two bucks. Just FYI so you know beforehand...

#37 ·
Would this be he same part number for an 08 Armada SE?

#25 ·
A few months ago I bought and installed a new resistor with 3 fins. It seemed to work fine until it got too hot which caused the issue to come back. I found the resistor w/ 4 fins on ebay for about $52 shipped to my door. I'm def going to give this one a shot. Thx for the part #.

#27 ·
Amen to this thread and forum! I have an '08 Armada LE with dual climate control with 85,000 miles on it, the blower motor had a mind of its own, it wouldnt turn off and wouldn't adjust with climate control on. I couldn't wait so I went to the local Nissan Stealership and purchased the Variable Blower Control Module for $68 and installed it myself, took about 5 minutes.. maybe less. Works like a charm now!

#28 ·
Im confused ..................

So my front fan on my 04 only works on high , no other speed, The first pic is what i have under the dash, looks like a single fin resistor and goes up in a slot under dash. The dealer sold me this 4 fin VBC. is this the right part and if so where does that go. I got a new resistor as well online but it makes no diff so far.

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.