Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

No running lights on trailer

32K views 21 replies 12 participants last post by  GuyM88 
#1 ·
I picked up my 2012 Armada last night, today I took it to a BIG RV dealer where I bought 2 trailers in the past, to hook up the brake controller, No running light on the trailer, everything on the Armada works. Took it back to Nissan they said the guy at the trailer has to use the Nissan wire harness with the controller or it won't work, took it back to trailer dealer, they said the only difference between their harness and Nissan's is the Nissan one has to be spliced and the one they used is plug and play. They unplugged the controller unit and still no power to the running light part of the trailer plug.The trailer dealer said there is no power at the plug under the dash for the running lights before the connector, I'm hoping it's just a fuse maybe. It's under warranty of course but I hate stuff like this. Took it back to Nissan and I have an appt next Tuesday so they can check out the thing. Any ideas of something I can check myself??
signal lights and brake lights work on the trailer, just no running lights.

#2 · (Edited)
Joe - does your Armada have the factory tow package? Not just the hitch, but the complete tow package? If you don't have the factory tow package, you need to add a relay; do a search on this forum and you'll read a whole lot about this, what to buy, and how to install it.

Also, double check the tow rating for your actual truck, with your options. I'm not sure about the 2012, but I know for my model year (2006), the two rating without the factory tow package was only 6500 lbs, compared to 9100 lbs with the tow package. There has been endless debate on this forum and others like titantalk about what makes that difference, and whether it really matters; ultimately you have to make that decision yourself. But, if you don't have the factory tow, you may be towing overweight with the trailer you have.

Keith

#3 ·
My Armada has the factory installed package, it was listed on the window sticker of extras. There is no power to the running light connmector that is under the dash of the Armada, maybe just a fuse or a disconnected wire.
The RV place said there was a resistor missing but I took it back to the dealer and all the resistors are there.
On the web site it says 8200 lbs. the top model Armada is rated at 9000. The dealer told me mine would tow 9000 lbs that's why I bought it. I think he was wrong. I'm going to talk him about that soon. But I'm still in specs as I don't tow with water on board. I plan on installing heavier rear springs to help with the sag. Thank you for your reply.
I wonder why 1 is 8200 lbs and the other is 9000 lbs and the have the same motor. The 4X4 is only around 6?00lbs according to Nissan web site.

#4 ·
With the factory tow pack you should have the auto leveling rear end and 3.36 rear gears. A lot of dealers are throwing on a hitch and calling it a tow package when it's really not from the factory.

I found this out when I bought my Titan.

#6 · (Edited)
I picked up my 2012 Armada last night, today I took it to a BIG RV dealer where I bought 2 trailers in the past, to hook up the brake controller, No running light on the trailer, everything on the Armada works. Took it back to Nissan they said the guy at the trailer has to use the Nissan wire harness with the controller or it won't work, took it back to trailer dealer, they said the only difference between their harness and Nissan's is the Nissan one has to be spliced and the one they used is led plug and play. They unplugged the controller unit and still no power to the running light part of the trailer plug.The trailer dealer said there is no power at the plug under the dash for the running lights before the connector, I'm hoping it's just a fuse maybe. It's under warranty of course but I hate stuff like this. Took it back to Nissan and I have an appt next Tuesday so they can check out the thing. Any ideas of something I can check myself??
signal lights and brake lights work on the trailer, just no running lights.
Have you checked fuses of running lights?

#8 ·
funny, I have the 2007 Armada and here are the following things I had to do to get the towing running and the running lights working.

added three relays under the hood.
added the connector to plug the 7 way factory port into to fit my trailer.
connected the WDH ( obviously)
added the brake controller
Then I couldn't get the running lights working and found that a relay was missing from under the dash just above the brake controller connection.

It all works great now.

#9 ·
*HELP*
I did same as most everyone has stated above:
wired all up, installed the three under hood relays, AND the additional relay at steering column, but STILL no running lights. Turn and brake lights work fine.

Any other suggestions? Which fuse should I check? I can't seem to find one labeled trailer running lights.

#10 ·
Check fuse #36, a 10 amp, located in the IPDM, under the hood.

#11 ·
I have a 2007 Armada and I installed the 3 relays under the hood and the brake controller and had no running lights. After a lot of searching I found that under the dash right above the brake controller connection is another relay connection. once you put that one in you will have running lights. you can go to etrailer.com and they have the blue relay you will need.

#12 ·
Yep, found it. blown 10 Amp fuse. Thanks for the help!

Second problem...when I was wiring up my headrest monitors, i disconnected power while the ignition must have been on...now my airbag sensor light is on. Is there a way to factory reset that so it doesn't blink on my dash?? I know this is off-topic...

#13 ·
Look at the first thread in this section.

#14 ·
Thanks and summary...

I just found this thread and wanted to summarize for anyone who is just now experiencing this problem. There are several threads describing two separate issues from what I can tell: relays and fuses.

Relays: Most of the threads are implying the need for FOUR separate relays for all of the trailer electrical to work. Three are in the relay compartment between the battery and the IPDM in the back left engine compartment (as seen from the front). The fourth (trailer running lights) seems to be the one most forgotten and is behind the dash under the steering wheel as described very well at the beginning of the thread.

Fuses: There are multiple fuses in the IPDM that are labeled with "trailer" something-or-other. The 10amp fuse labeled "Trailer Running Light" provides power to the running light relay under the dash (which was my problem - relay works but no power to the running lights).

Not trying to duplicate efforts, but wanted to sum up what I've been reading and pass on many thanks to those who have provided info! Saved me big bucks!

Happy towing! :)

#15 ·
I found a fix for this on my 2010 Platinum with tow package.

Under the hood up next to the firewall is a big fuse box.
Fuse F4 was blown.
This was a big pain to reach. Some very long thin forceps worked for me.

Really Nissan, what is the reason for making a fuse so very hard to get to?

#16 ·
I bought a trailer and found the same problem. Turn signals work, battery power goes to the trailer, but no running lights. 2010 Armada Titanium.
I found this thread and followed all recommendations. Fuses under the hood are fine, brown relay present, also there is one relay under dashboard. Looking for a wiring diagram to understand how it is connected, then troubleshoot.
If there are 2 relays, under the hood and under the dash, what is their purpose? Where the signal to turn on running lights going from?

#17 · (Edited)
Reactions: Wavebourn
#18 ·
Thank you!
I already found that white&blue wire from the relay to the rear socket is broken somewhere.
I saw a video on youtube about '06 Titan with hidden under the dashboard undocumented fuse. I opened my '10 dashboard and found no fuse there.
Let me open your links...

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.