Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

Factory Remote Starter

44K views 36 replies 21 participants last post by  Ricochet 
#1 ·
Anyone has the factory remote starter on their mada? how does it work? reasons asking is that I have the sticker that says remote starter installed thanks.

#2 ·
There is no factory remote start. If you have it the dealer ( or another shop) must have installed it.

#6 ·
I use to work at a stereo alarm place. All the dealers around there sent there vehicle over for use to do alarms and starter and anything else the customer want pertaining to electronics. At one point (in the late 80s when them 10 disc cd changer was the newest thing, we were doing all day long for the dealerships. Imagine having to go to your trunk just to change out the CDs.:D

#8 ·
Dealers will outsource autostarters, alarms, etc. When I installed, we could buy the alarm components for $120, we charged the dealer (or anyone else who had one installed) $500, and the dealer charged the new car buyer $1000. Same alarm, same guy, but double mark-up.

#9 ·
i have the remote starter (dealer installed) you press the lock button on the key ring 2x fast and it'll start...lasts for about 15 min....then it'll shut off automatically

#10 · (Edited)
PHLOCKER said:
i have the remote starter (dealer installed) you press the lock button on the key ring 2x fast and it'll start...lasts for about 15 min....then it'll shut off automatically
That's so cool!:) But when u go inside the Armada then, do u have to put in ur key still?

#11 ·
i had the remote start installed on my QX at the dealer ...i paid, i think $350...
it uses the factory key fob...you press lock,unlock,lock....then she starts...i love it!!! it might sound like its alot but i didnt want 2 alarm fobs hanging on my key ring....and i did have to give the dealer the second key so he can bypass the code....

fiddlyD

#12 ·
That's interesting, I wonder where/how that works...

I'm on my 4th remote starter in various vehicles and I've never heard of one integrating so well with the factory systems. Off to investigate.

#13 ·
ndgeek said:
That's interesting, I wonder where/how that works...

I'm on my 4th remote starter in various vehicles and I've never heard of one integrating so well with the factory systems. Off to investigate.

Please get more info from the deale because circuit city and best buy charge the same thing But I need to buy a 2nd key. I rather use my original.

K

#14 ·
just goto the dealer and ask if they do it....i went to my Infiniti dealer and that was it...

fiddlyD

#15 ·
fiddlyD said:
just goto the dealer and ask if they do it....i went to my Infiniti dealer and that was it...

fiddlyD
Tried that yesterday and the dealer told me that it mut be an aft mrk because Nissan does not sell that. Need to find out what aft mrk can use oem fob!
K

#16 ·
HMMMMMM.... try going to an Infiniti dealer???

fiddlyD

#17 ·
Skip the dealer. No dealer does the work themselves. None. They outsource it all. Go to a dealer that uses a reputable brand autostarter and does high end work. Don't go to Best Buy or Circuit City for example Clifford and Viper are pretty good for a start. I'd get a Clifford for mine if I wanted it. ;)

#18 ·
Djoker04 said:
Tried that yesterday and the dealer told me that it mut be an after market because Nissan does not sell that. Need to find out what after market can use oem fob!
K
This is what I'm curious about too. Anyone with any ideas where to start searching?

I imgine the issue with using the OEM keyfob for remote start is that range would really suck. I know you can get after market autostart systems from CompuStar that will get you 1.25m range. And range is important to me so maybe this is a mute point.

You know, the more I think about it, the more that this system might just be a really cheap (could still be OEM) system. If the autostart doesn't come with remotes and relies on the RF of the stock keyless entry, this must be a really cheap autostart. Sure it works, and it will be handy, but the better aftermarket systems will give you two-way capability, amazing range and a display to tell you if its running or not (as well as incorporating doors, trunk, etc. obviously).

My wifes AstroStart basic install was about $350 in her Maxima and that got basic lock/unlock/trunk/start capabilities on a one-way remote (only one included, by the way). My previous vehicle, a Grand Caravan, I and a friend put in a CompuStar 2000AS which had alarm/lock/unlock/power doors/trunk/start on a two-way remote (again only one included) and that was about $500 installed from local dealers, I believe. I could start my vehicle, parked in the far end of the parking lot (250' from the building), from my desk that was nowhere near windows in the interior of the building. In the dead of winter, it was very nice to not have to go to the windows, squint and see if the parking lights were on...

The one thing that might be nice is that if there is an OEM solution, there would be a nice wiring harness already to go to tap into the locks, ignition, etc so installing yourself would be trivial.

#19 ·
You guys do realize that remote starters on cars like ours that have the chips in the keys for security kind of negates the point of the key-coded electronic systems for security. With a remote starter that requires your spare key to be in the dash, so that it will start (the extra key has the chip in it) any theif can hop in and use a screw driver to start your car!

-mike

#20 ·
Paisan said:
You guys do realize that remote starters on cars like ours that have the chips in the keys for security kind of negates the point of the key-coded electronic systems for security. With a remote starter that requires your spare key to be in the dash, so that it will start (the extra key has the chip in it) any theif can hop in and use a screw driver to start your car!

-mike
Yea, but he has to make alot of noise to do it. Then you have to pick which car has remote start to steal. Odds are good.;)

#21 ·
Dustoff-00 said:
Yea, but he has to make alot of noise to do it. Then you have to pick which car has remote start to steal. Odds are good.;)
Noise? not really, you see, the OEM alarms on our cars don't sense glass breaking so break window, enter car through window, jam screw driver into ignition, start car.

Any thief worth his salt will stake out your house, see you have a remote starter and know instantly that the screw driver method will work.

But hey if you don't mind, I don't mind!

-mike

#22 ·
HAHA, thats good to know. Now I am glad that Nissan doesnt offer factory remote start for the Armada.

Try that trick with an aftermarket system and the noise maker starts making noise. If that doesnt work, its a chance for a newer Mada.:D

#23 ·
Dustoff-00 said:
HAHA, thats good to know. Now I am glad that Nissan doesnt offer factory remote start for the Armada.

Try that trick with an aftermarket system and the noise maker starts making noise. If that doesnt work, its a chance for a newer Mada.:D
True true, I found out the hard way the alarm doesn't get triggered by breaking glass... The did a smash and grab of my LCD touchscreen for my carputer here in Soprano-Land, they were kind though, they un-screwed it from the dash and unplugged the wires rather than tearing it out and cutting the wires!

-mike

#24 ·
92TripleBlack said:
Skip the dealer. No dealer does the work themselves. None. They outsource it all. Go to a dealer that uses a reputable brand autostarter and does high end work. Don't go to Best Buy or Circuit City for example Clifford and Viper are pretty good for a start. I'd get a Clifford for mine if I wanted it. ;)
Not sure if it counts but I worked at a dealer in the Phoenix area who had audio video people onsite whenever the dealership was open. Yeah they were contractors, but they were always onsite and had their own "service bay"

#25 ·
I have a remote start that works with my factory key fob in my Titan. As stated before you hit the lock, unlock, lock and it starts up. There is a key placed in the system, but you have to have a key with the chip in it to drive it. The doors lock as soon as the remote start turns the truck on. You have to unlock the door and put the key in the ignition and turn it to on before you hit the brakes to put it into gear. If you hit the brakes before you have the key in the ingnition it will kill the truck and lock the doors again.

I never really was that big on the remote starts untill my fiancee got me one, and now I don't think I will ever be with out one. True I am sure some thief could break in and drive off with my truck, but they can do that with remote start or not if they really want to. Besides thats what I pay all that money to the insurance for. Just my $.02

#26 ·
knox_titan said:
I have a remote start that works with my factory key fob in my Titan. As stated before you hit the lock, unlock, lock and it starts up. There is a key placed in the system, but you have to have a key with the chip in it to drive it. The doors lock as soon as the remote start turns the truck on. You have to unlock the door and put the key in the ignition and turn it to on before you hit the brakes to put it into gear. If you hit the brakes before you have the key in the ingnition it will kill the truck and lock the doors again.

I never really was that big on the remote starts untill my fiancee got me one, and now I don't think I will ever be with out one. True I am sure some thief could break in and drive off with my truck, but they can do that with remote start or not if they really want to. Besides thats what I pay all that money to the insurance for. Just my $.02
What brand of system is it? How much was it? Where did you get it installed?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.