Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

recommended PSI for 305/45/22

18K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  norcal05SE 
#1 ·
The tires say 50 Max PSI but what is the correct PSI i should run them at? Right now its at 45. i dont know if i should rum them lower. they look low on and all surface looks to be having contact with the pavement.

#3 ·
Cool thanks Pops. the ride is better since i lowered it from 50 to 45. i noticed that at 50 my treadwear isnt even. ill keep them at 45 then. i do noticed tho that since it was wearing out evenly at 50 and now at 45 the steering wheels shakes a little on certain part of the roads. should rebalance them? i just rotate them like almost 3000 miles ago.

#4 ·
Yup, rebalance them. Most shops let you pay $60-$75 just one time for lifetime rotation/balancing of the tires for as long as they last. If it's too bouncy over bumps, you might give 40-psi a try, that's where mine are at.

#5 ·
The tire pressure should be 40-45 psi. Call the tire shop where you got them at. they should be able to tell you exactly what psi it should be for that tire size.

#7 ·
When I got my 305/50/20 Yokahama's, they were stamped max 50 psi, the installer put 35 (recommended by Nissan) so I spoke to Yokahama and they told me 38-40 for a vehicle like ours. My suggestion is give your tire manufacturer a call to be safe.

#8 ·
I would avoid running too close to the max as the pressure will increase when the tires heat up or in hot weather. The higher the pressure the smaller the contact patch with the road as well.

I too would consult the tire manufacturer for their recommendation.

#9 ·
alright, i stole this from a trailer towing forum, but itperfectly explains the "chalk test" for figuring out air pressure. its not scientific but it works. i used it on my jeep wrangler and ran 28psi for 2 years with no problems and the tires wore perfectly! give it a try dude!

1. Put normal operating load on your trailer. 1, 2, or 3 skis, 1 boat...whichever.

2. Inflate tires on both sides to max psi. I say the max psi because this is just a starting ground...you shouldnt need any more than that.

3. Park where you have an open area ahead of you.

4. Mark a thick line across both tires. Only one side is really necessary.

5. Pull forward enough for line on tire to mark the ground.

6. Observe chalk mark on ground, Mark should be of the full tread width. If too narrow, deflate. If it only shows the outside edges, you need to inflate more, BUT you shouldn't need to inflate if you are at the max pressure. You may need to go up in tire size or rating.

7. Deflate accordingly. If you think you need to take a lot out, start at 5 psi increments. Once you start to get close to the full tread, move down to 1 or 2 psi increments. Make sure you deflate both sides the same so the trailer is even!

8. Repeat Steps 4-7. (Remark, Drive, Observe, Deflate)

9. Once even tread contact is observed, Record that air pressure for future use. That pressure will provide the best traction, best wear and be less likely for blowouts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.