Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

Thinking about buying 2010 Armada Platinum

3K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  Invanity 
#1 ·
Hello fellow Armadanians!

My main purpose is to pull a travel trailer (28 feet) and dry weight is 6300 pds...I know in a perfect world a 3/4 or 1 ton pick up is ideal, however do require the 7 seats...

Does any armada owners have any experience in pulling with their armadas and can share their thoughts??

My main concerns:

When pulling, this size or bigger trailer, is it safe? When I mean safe do u feel u have full control of the trailer when pulling?

I will have sway bars however does it make enough difference where you feel u r in control?

Any feedback and experienced armada owners that pull trailers will help me decide if this will be the right purchase. Safety is my top priority as I will have a young family on board most of the time.

#2 ·
The Armada makes a terrific tow vehicle, likely the best 1/2 ton tow vehicle on the market. The main limitation with towing with an Armada is tongue weight. Remember that all max capacities assume the tow vehicle is empty, with only the driver and a full tank of fuel. Any people or cargo that you add to the tow vehicle will directly reduce available tongue weight and max tow capacity. So, if you want to tow 9000 pounds and stay under the maximum tow capacity, you can't have anything else (including passengers) in the truck.

Having said that, there are a few people on this forum that are towing trailers much heavier and longer than your trailer, with good results. I'm a bit more conservative than they are, so I personally wouldn't exceed 80% of the max tow capacity, to give me a bit of a cushion. My trailer is about 26 feet long, including the tongue, and weighs about 5200 to 5500 pounds loaded for a trip. My tongue weight is about 600 to 650 pounds. With this configuration, which is significantly under the max tow capacity of the truck, I am likely exceeding max tongue weight, when I have my kids and wife in the car with me. I've had nothing but great results with this setup, however.

I'd highly recommend you do some searching on this forum on this subject. There are a whole lot of posts regarding towing with these trucks, which will give you some great information. Make sure you get a good brake controller, and a good anti-sway / weight distribution hitch. I use the Tekonsha Prodigy controller, and the Equal-i-zer brand hitch.

Again, the Armada makes a great tow vehicle. Our trucks have enough power that it's real easy to overload them, however. Just make sure you know what you're getting into before you commit your money!!

Don't hesitate to ask more questions if you can't easily find an answer. Lots of folks on this forum who will be glad to help out.

Cheers,

Keith

#3 ·
I also have a 28ft bought the mada to pull just that and I also have several kidlets The armada pulls it just fine we have a tow mode and use the sways and leveler and the tekonsa also no issues in pulling those tt are just so BIG and LONG it's like driving a semi-but all is well Have fun and be safe!

#5 ·
I have the 2006 LE with tow package/load leveler and a KZ Coyote TT. The trailer is 24 feet long from tongue to rear bumper and has a dry weight of around 5000 pounds, loaded probably over 6000. It has the Reese Dual Cam Sway bars and weight distributing kit. LIke others have mentioned, you have to be careful about overloading the trailer and SUV, but its usually just my wife and myself in the Armada along with a Honda generator, a couple of inflatable kayaks and assorted camping gear. The Armada pulls it easily, and if you didn't look in the rear view mirror you wouldn't know you were towing anything! Of course with the gas engine your mpg will probably be around 10, so be prepared for frequent fills on long trips.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

#6 ·
Welcome to the forum man, lots of good info here

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.