Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

A/C and Heater quit working

4K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  MRhodes 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi! Starting on Monday I noticed a funny metallic smell coming out of the vent in the front of my 2008 Armada SE 2WD Flex that lasted for a couple of days and then yesterday the heater and a/c just quit working. The rear a/c and heater are also not working. The rear seem to be blowing air and changing speed but no cool air is coming out. The front a/c and heater nothing comes out.

I have looked around and some posts say thing about fuses, blower motor, or a relay of some type. I am a bit confused and am hoping some one here has either had this problem or can help me pin point what the culprit might be.

Thank you so much!

#2 · (Edited)
The smell would lead me to think the fan motor (blower) might've died.
Alot of times I'll pay a dealership 1-hr shop time for diagnoses then repair the problem myself, that keeps me from buying expensive unnecessary parts. http://www.CourtesyParts.com has awesome prices but very terrible customer service so I usually get a ball park price from their site then call around locally for someone who will sell close to that price.

#5 ·
The smell would lead me to think the fan motor (blower) might've died.
Alot of times I'll pay a dealership 1-hr shop time for diagnoses then repair the problem myself, that keeps me from buying expensive unnecessary parts. http://www.CourtesyParts.com has awesome prices but very terrible customer service so I usually get a ball park price from their site then call around locally for someone who will sell close to that price.
Pops - That is an awesome idea. I've been trying to track down a clicking / popping noise on my 07 LE and I've already dumped ~$250 in U-Joints that didn't need replacing (that was due to getting sent the wrong ones from Northern Drivetrain initially and having to buy a rear and grease gun locally).

Now the only trick is finding a competent dealer in Long Island, NY....

#4 ·
Easy

A burnt motor is easy to diagnose. If you have a multimeter you can check for resistance across the motor winding. If no multimeter pull the blower motor out and direct straight to the battery. The blower only has 2 wires. One positive and one negative. If you can save yourself a few pennies replacing the parts yourself it'll be much better to diagnose yourself and save even more pennies. The ac and heat System should still be working just the blower itself not working. There are three screws holding the blower. Size 5.5mm. Lay on the passenger side floor and look up you'll see the blower motor. If you don't have a multimeter. I recommend getting one or even a test light will work for this troubleshooting too.

For the test light. Diagnose. Pull the harness out that's connected to the blower. Install your test light on that harness it won't matter which is positive or negative. Turn the blower on if the light turns on then you know there is power being supplied to the blower and all you need is a new blower.

#9 ·
check

check as soon as you start the car and turn on the ac for the first time of the day. With the front blower not working it will eventually create a ice blockage in the line and will in turn wont have a refrigerant gas to liquid flow to either the front or back. The main is the front and is closer to the compress and will create restriction. Best bet is to check you blower. Also, start your car, run your ac, pop your hood, and check your ac compressor. bottom passenger side if i remember right. if the front plate of the pulley is turning then your compressor is turning should feel cold air.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.