Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Southern California
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
TPMS Light Flashing / On After New Tires
Last weekend I had new tires put on the Armada. A couple of days after, the TPMS light came on. When you first start the truck, the light flashes, indicating a fault in the system. After a minute of so, the light stops flashing, and stays on steady. My truck has the Navigation system, so I can see the individual tire pressures on the screen. Only three of the pressures are showing, the fourth shows "**". So, I went back to the tire dealer (America's Tire), and they tested all four sensors with a hand-held device; he was able to communicate with all four sensors. He said that the batteries inside the sensor have a life of about 6 to 8 years, and that although he was able to communicate with the sensors, a weak battery on one of them might be causing the problem. He recommended replacing all four of the sensors, under the theory that if one was going bad, the other three weren't far behind. He wants $60 each, plus $10 each for installation (re-balancing the tire is free, since I bought the tires from them). Does this explanation sound reasonable? Anything else I should be checking?
- 12 Armada Platinum 4WD, Tuscan Sun (red)
- 06 Armada LE 4WD, Red Brawn, QX56 Wheels (traded)
- 04 Armada LE 4WD, Smoke (lemon lawed)
- 15 Ford Focus Electric (commuter car)
- 00 Maxima SE, Manual Trans (kids car)
- 65 Buick Skylark Gran Sport Convertible, 401 ci, 2nd owner, original condition, 70,000 miles (play car)
- Prowler Lynx 826M Travel Trailer, 26', 5000#'s
"How often we fail to realize our good fortune in living in a country where happiness is more than a lack of tragedy."
--Paul Sweeney, author