Upgrading speakers/amp with factory bose? - Nissan Armada Forum: Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums
User Tag List

post #1 of 3 Old 11-21-2012, 03:51 PM Thread Starter
Horneth145
SHIFT_Newbie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Horneth145 is on a distinguished road
Garage
Upgrading speakers/amp with factory bose?

Hi all,

I apologize if this has been covered, I've searched the forum and can't seem to piece together the information I'm looking for.

First off, I'm NOT looking to dump a ton of money into my stereo, just looking to improve the factory sound. I plan to keep the factory head unit (Bose) in my 2006 Armada LE.

I was thinking of replacing the factory door speakers and I ran across a deal on some Alpines that are on their way. My question is; can I just replace the factory speakers and use the existing wiring and will that indeed sound better? Or do I need to replace the factory Amp?

If I replace the factory amp, I've seen things like the AOEM-NIS2 which provide the harnesses/connectors to bypass the factory amp and provide RCA outputs to the new amp, but what about re-using the factory speaker wiring, are those harnesses included? I have no interest in re-wiring the speakers. I want this to be as simple as possible.

I'm not looking to win any awards with my system, just want the stock head unit to sound better...

Thoughts? Ideas? Answers? Any input would be appreciated..

Thanks!

2006 LE : Tow Pkg : 22" Wheels : Stillen Brakes w/ SS lines & DOT 5.1 : AEM Brute Force Intake : 2 degree advance w/ Bully Dog tune : Flo-Pro muffler w/ polished tailpipe : QX56 front mud guards : Boss DVD Player w/ custom 7in screen : Painted mud guards : Painted roof rack : radar detector powered by rear-view : Customized Nav trim with Magellan 9055 GPS, CCD backup camera, & Bluetooth
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 11-21-2012, 04:35 PM
ntrddragn
SHIFT_Hardcore

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
ntrddragn is on a distinguished road
in short, yes.

upgrade the stock speakers with give you better sound but its only as good as the power source (head unit) can power them. they wont play to their max potential but they will be better then stock. you will have to buy the right size speakers and wire it to the existing wire. no re-wiring is needed.

I believe the only factory amp the armada has is for powering the sub. if you are going to get an amp to power the speakers without changing the head unit..you will have to splice one set of speaker wires and convert those to RCA (male) to go into the amp. from there you can rca the sound out to pre-existing speaker wires but tapping into them. they sell those speaker wires with one rca end and the other end is open. so you will have to cut those stock wires or you can wire them from the amp to the speakers directly but you seem not to want to do that.

personally i have stock speaker still but i change my head unit and now my oem system sound way better. and ppl cant believe its stock speakers.

maybe the other audiophiles will chime in with better suggestions or if im wrong.

'04 LE
post #3 of 3 Old 12-25-2012, 04:19 AM
TexasEdition
SHIFT_Enthusiast

Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
TexasEdition is on a distinguished road
You can replace the speakers to run off the factory Bose Head Unit, however you may experience lower volume due to the factory speaker impedance mismatch. Nearly all factory speakers have an odd ohm rating, often times 3 ohm speakers. The Alpine speakers, like 95% of speakers out there, are 4 ohm speakers. In order to get the best sound, its best to drive them with an external amplifier. In this case, you would need to run new wires from your amp to your speakers. Doing this will improve your sound GREATLY, sound quality wise and volume. You can try it out and see if it's enough volume for you.

My Armada came with MA Audio speakers in the doors and the speakers in the dash are the factory Bose speakers. My door speakers are driven off of an old school Planet Audio amplifier. I will be soon replacing the MA Audio speakers and the dash tweeters with my Focal Utopia 6.5" component speakers that I have had for the past oh, 6 or so years. The rear will be replaced with either my Focal K2P with Digital Design T1 silk dome tweeters or my Focal Performance PS165 6.5" components. Both will be bridged off of a 4 channel amp each as the Focal speakers can take some serious wattage.

I GOT MORE SPEAKERS THAN YOU. 2004 Armada SE 4x4 Fully Loaded, Bilstein 5100's, 2" Rear Lift, Towing Package, Leather, Power Seats, Auto-Air, Rear Parking Sensors. Rockford 3Sixty.1 DSP, JVC KW-NT800HDT, FRONT: Focal Utopia Comps powered by Audiopipe AQX-360.4 Bridged @ 320wrms x 2, 2nd Row: Focal K2p Comps powered by Bangs & Olfsen ZED Audio 4 Channel Amp Bridged @ 275wrms x 2, Center Channel powered by Phoenix Gold Tantrum 500.2 @ 175wrms x 2, FOUR RARE Sundown Audio SA-8 V.2 w/ SSA internals, 3cuft ported box @ 31Hz, 2 Audiopipe AP18001D's 1800wrms x 2 (3600wrms) XS D3400 Battery. 4800wrms
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode