Transfer control issues while away for Thanksgiving - Page 2 - Nissan Armada Forum: Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums
User Tag List

post #11 of 20 Old 11-26-2012, 01:37 PM Thread Starter
skieruscan
SHIFT_Enthusiast

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
skieruscan is on a distinguished road
See update on the issue in the original post.

2004 LE, Volant CAI with scoop, 2* timing advance, Superchips, HID main and fog lights
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 Old 11-26-2012, 02:58 PM
Pops
SHIFT_Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Pops is on a distinguished road
Garage
Sorry for late response, I don't get online everyday. Smart move having the other one replaced too. Kinda scary that you didn't notice the wheel bearings going bad, seems like there should've been some symptoms to indicate it sooner. At least it sounds like you found a good service dept. FWIW, KnoxTitan over on mightytitans.com is in Knoxville, Tn if you need any advice on local ammenities.

- Bob
2005 Armada LE 4x4
post #13 of 20 Old 11-26-2012, 03:20 PM Thread Starter
skieruscan
SHIFT_Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pops View Post
Sorry for late response, I don't get online everyday. Smart move having the other one replaced too. Kinda scary that you didn't notice the wheel bearings going bad, seems like there should've been some symptoms to indicate it sooner. At least it sounds like you found a good service dept. FWIW, KnoxTitan over on mightytitans.com is in Knoxville, Tn if you need any advice on local ammenities.
No worries, Pops, and hope you had a good Thanksgiving! I agree that some type of warning system for a failing hub would be a good idea. One minute it seems fine, the next you're in a friction nightmare and the wheel is trying to fly away. I can't recall what the service interval is for front wheel hubs, but my '04 has 122K on it, so I would suggest swapping them at 100K miles or sooner.

I think that Twin Cities Nissan should have the car ready by tomorrow at the latest, but if this drags on for another day, I'll give a shout to KnoxTitan and see what there is to do around Alcoa/Knoxville.

2004 LE, Volant CAI with scoop, 2* timing advance, Superchips, HID main and fog lights
post #14 of 20 Old 11-27-2012, 07:33 PM Thread Starter
skieruscan
SHIFT_Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by skieruscan View Post
No worries, Pops, and hope you had a good Thanksgiving! I agree that some type of warning system for a failing hub would be a good idea. One minute it seems fine, the next you're in a friction nightmare and the wheel is trying to fly away. I can't recall what the service interval is for front wheel hubs, but my '04 has 122K on it, so I would suggest swapping them at 100K miles or sooner.

I think that Twin Cities Nissan should have the car ready by tomorrow at the latest, but if this drags on for another day, I'll give a shout to KnoxTitan and see what there is to do around Alcoa/Knoxville.
By "warning" system, I meant more clunking sound in the hub itself. That's usually the early warning system. I didn't hear it (nor did my wife who was in the passenger seat). Interestingly, the clunking I actually did hear was in the transfer case under my seat which was due to the failed wheel sensor telling the T/F controller that there was some type of slip. It's frightening how fast the hub deteriorated. The car is now fixed and I'm driving it back home tonight; I just passed the mountain region where we first noticed the real problem (hub failure) and had to turn around for the repair. Had there been a complete wheel failure in the NC mountains, it would have been "end of game" for the lot of us.

post #15 of 20 Old 11-27-2012, 08:52 PM
ntrddragn
SHIFT_Hardcore

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
ntrddragn is on a distinguished road
Glad u got it resolved and avoid disaster on the mountains. Now we know if other have similar issue.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using AutoGuide.Com Free App

'04 LE
post #16 of 20 Old 11-28-2012, 10:20 PM
E&J push'n wind
SHIFT_Hardcore

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
E&J push'n wind is on a distinguished road
skieruscan,

Good job getting both sides done, it is a good practice. While you are at it though, I'd get the rear done as well. I don't recall ever seeing a service interval for the wheel bearings in the maintanence guide. Could be an oversight on my part though. There is a lot left out of the service guides though. My guess is that most people don't keep their cars long enough to really need these necessary services and that is why the MFG's don't put it in there.

On the other hand though, there are a number of us that tend to keep cars till the wheels litterally fall off. As in your case! I jest of course but I don't think important services like the wheel bearing maintenance, front and rear differential oil changes, believe it or not brake oil change, and the like should be left out of the service guide. Their hope is that these things will be taken care of by the service advisor if one takes their car to the dealership to be serviced regularly. Some of us can't afford that though and are "DIY'ers," but if you don't know to do these kind of things, how does one find out? As has been said, you don't know what you don't know.

I'm glad that you averted a near disaster, God was with you!
post #17 of 20 Old 11-30-2012, 10:32 AM Thread Starter
skieruscan
SHIFT_Enthusiast

Funny you say that as I have just ordered the two rear ones and will replace them at my local shop. I thought about doing that on my own, but I will need a bearing puller and significant force to free the shaft from the rear differential and pull the hub forward to remove it. Not my idea of fun. Better to have my "go-to" shop here do that and pay a few hundred for the labor.

post #18 of 20 Old 11-30-2012, 11:40 PM
TopazM3
SHIFT_Hardcore

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
TopazM3 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Just found them. The pair of Stillen calipers, pads, and rotors are now $2,200. Still cheaper than Brembos, though.

Also, going to start the journey home tomorrow with the transfer controller still acting crazy as hell. The reset procedure (described in my first post) is working and should get me back until I can figure out the problem at the home garage.
That's a different kit than mine. It's likely quite a bit better. IDK if they still have my kit. It was bigger rotors, GM calipers, I believe from an Escalade and adapters to fit the calipers to the upright.

Here they are: http://www.clubarmada.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5784

Last edited by TopazM3; 11-30-2012 at 11:42 PM.
post #19 of 20 Old 12-02-2012, 11:51 AM Thread Starter
skieruscan
SHIFT_Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopazM3 View Post
That's a different kit than mine. It's likely quite a bit better. IDK if they still have my kit. It was bigger rotors, GM calipers, I believe from an Escalade and adapters to fit the calipers to the upright.

Here they are: http://www.clubarmada.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5784
Topaz, I looked for that kit with the GM calipers and they don't carry it anymore. No worries, though. I'm going to save for their newer kit and then upgrade next year. Anything has to be better than what came stock with the Mada. The rotors are entirely too small to stop a beast like this adequately, but a newer piston design using the existing rotor size to increase the friction area will help significantly. The downside is that the rotors will take some abuse with the increased friction, but I replace mine regularly as it is, so this won't be a big issue.

post #20 of 20 Old 12-04-2012, 11:03 PM
TopazM3
SHIFT_Hardcore

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
TopazM3 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Topaz, I looked for that kit with the GM calipers and they don't carry it anymore. No worries, though. I'm going to save for their newer kit and then upgrade next year. Anything has to be better than what came stock with the Mada. The rotors are entirely too small to stop a beast like this adequately, but a newer piston design using the existing rotor size to increase the friction area will help significantly. The downside is that the rotors will take some abuse with the increased friction, but I replace mine regularly as it is, so this won't be a big issue.
Let us know how they work out when you get them. Pics would be excellent

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode