New Rancho shocks all around, but confused - Nissan Armada Forum: Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums
User Tag List

#1 Old 12-06-2012, 01:56 PM
steveg_nh
SHIFT_Hardcore

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
steveg_nh is on a distinguished road
New Rancho shocks all around, but confused

So after upgrading my tires to Firestone Destination A/Ts (wow is all I have to say about those), I'd like to upgrade the poor excuse for OEM shocks with Ranchos.

I want to put RS9000XLs in the front and rear. I don't have a rear leveling suspension. This is a non tow SE, 2008 4WD. According to various sites, the part numbers are

Rear: RS999306
Front: RS999771

But I believe these are shocks. I thought the armada has struts in the front. Or maybe I don't understand fully the replacement process. Or maybe I'm just mistaken entirely, in which case, my humble apologies!

The only reason I care, vs just bringing it to the auto shop and saying "have at it" is because they're letting me order my own parts and bring them in, and they'll just install them. So I want to be sure I'm buying the right stuff, and everything I need.

Any help/clarification is appreciated.

2008 Armada SE 4x4 w/Leather, Comfort & Conv. Package, M&D DVD System, Rancho Suspension
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-06-2012, 02:02 PM
Pops
SHIFT_Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Pops is on a distinguished road
Garage
The front are Coilover Shocks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coilover

Quote:
A coilover is not to be confused with the shock absorber and spring setup (strut); coilovers are totally independent and do not require extra parts e.g. bumpstops, ball Joints, spring cushions etc. Many people state that they are the same but this is a busted myth, hence the reason that high performance cars use independent coilovers to increase road grip, handling and comfort. On a lower budget, people will install a 'lowering kit' consisting of a spring that is of different measurement in length (mm) and fit aftermarket shock absorbers to increase comfort and handling on tighter corners where body roll may hinder performance. Coilovers come adjustable or a fixed length and normally bolt straight to a car instead of using tools (spring compressors) to fit a shock absorber and a spring to. While they are generally more expensive (up to 90% more), they still offer the greatest amount of comfort and handling compared to the earlier, strut-mounted type.

- Bob
2005 Armada LE 4x4
#3 Old 12-06-2012, 03:27 PM
steveg_nh
SHIFT_Hardcore

I never knew that, but looking at them, it completely makes sense! So the spring gets reused I assume? So really, you do just order shocks all around.

I can't wait to feel the improvement with those shocks vs my worn out OEMs.

2008 Armada SE 4x4 w/Leather, Comfort & Conv. Package, M&D DVD System, Rancho Suspension
#4 Old 12-06-2012, 03:52 PM
Pops
SHIFT_Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Pops is on a distinguished road
Garage
Yes... You use a Heavy Duty Spring Compressor to take them off and move them to the new shocks. It's much faster to just pay a shop $40 to move them over for you

- Bob
2005 Armada LE 4x4
#5 Old 12-06-2012, 08:11 PM
steveg_nh
SHIFT_Hardcore

My auto shop said $65 each to do the whole job. Sounds good to me!

Do you know if I have to worry about needing anything special to use these? They seem like direct replacement, not requiring modifications.

#6 Old 12-10-2012, 01:33 AM
Kooshtaka
SHIFT_Hardcore

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Kooshtaka is on a distinguished road
Rancho makes direct replacement shocks for our trucks for both the front and the back. I'm not sure on the exact ones you purchased as I don't have a tremendous amount of experience with ranchos.

'05 Mada LE Slate
Mods Done: UpRev, Bilstein 5100s in front, PRG 2" rear spaces, R1 Premium Drilled & Slotted Rotors, PosiQuite pads, Volant GenII CAI, 8K HID Lows, LEDs by ArmaDen, 3k HID Fogs, and Delete middle row console.
Mods in progress: JBA LT, PRT 300-cell hi-flo cat'd b-pipes, Borla xlr-1 muffler w/custom tubing, LED Engine Bay LEDs, Custom Suspension Lift by PRG, Custom PRG front & rear shocks, Custom PRG Rear springs.
Mods in contemplation: GoodHood or custom hood, Steel front and rear bumpers, upgraded front springs, Custom roof rack and cargo basket, Additional lighting.
#7 Old 12-10-2012, 03:07 AM
blackArmada_Dxb
SHIFT_Hardcore

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
blackArmada_Dxb is on a distinguished road
Yup, the part numbers sound just about right. Here are the part numbers straight from Rancho's website:

http://www.gorancho.com/shock_lookup...dels&x=44&y=11

RS9000XL SERIES SHOCK Rear RS999306
RS9000XL SERIES SHOCK Front RS999771
#8 Old 12-11-2012, 12:41 PM
steveg_nh
SHIFT_Hardcore

So outside of buying the shocks, any other special parts needed? Since they appear to be direct replacement, doesn't seem like anything custom would be needed like larger washers, etc, etc?? Thanks.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode