User Tag List

#1 Old 09-10-2012, 03:38 PM
dev_911
SHIFT_Lurker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
dev_911 is on a distinguished road
What PSI to use on LT Tires (LT265/70R18)

Hi all, I am new to clubarmada.com and I have gotten some great advise and info from the Forums. I appreciate everyone's input and time!

I have a question about Tire Pressure for LT Tires. I just bought a new set of tires for my OEM Rims on my QX56. I wanted a good reliable All Terrain tire and wanted to go with Michelin LTX A/T2 tires because of the quality/reliability of Michelin as well as the user reviews. This was the only AT tire that had a 60K mile warrenty also.

The only problem with going with this tire was the fact that the A/T2 only came as a LT tire not a P tire in the 265/70R18 tire size. I ended up purchasing these tires from Discount Tire and they had 4 separate people "advise me" against LT tires because it is an "invalid application" and the vehicle will ride "stiffer and more uncomfortable."

Well, I went against their advise and got purchased them anyway. I had to wait a couple of days for the special order and when they installed, they asked me what tire pressure to run. The vehicle calls for 35 psi on all 4 tires, but discount said I should run at least 45 psi. I have been driving on them now for about 2 weeks now @ 45 psi and I am extremely happy with them, and I think the ride is smoother and a little bit stiffer, but in a good way. It doesn't feel like I am going to pop a tire by hitting a bump/pothole anymore.

I want to make sure I am running the proper PSI though. I know I can't be the only one out there riding on LT tires. What has been your experience with LT tires? What PSI do you run? Have any of you been getting the mileage expected (50K miles from a 50K warranty tire) or have you noticed uneven/premature wear? Also, I was told that if the pressure is too high, it will set of the TPMS. Is this true?

Thanks again for your input! I appreciate your time and comments!

Last edited by dev_911; 09-11-2012 at 01:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-14-2012, 04:29 PM
BlakSpyda
SHIFT_Moderator

BlakSpyda is on a distinguished road
Welcome dev_911!

I have not input on those tires. Hopefully someone else can help soon!
#3 Old 09-14-2012, 05:39 PM
ntrddragn
SHIFT_Hardcore

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
ntrddragn is on a distinguished road
based on what scr38 said on the other thread run them at 35 unless at heavy load then 45

'04 LE
#4 Old 12-13-2012, 10:56 AM
verakot
SHIFT_Newbie

verakot is on a distinguished road
Garage
I am also wondering why Discount Tire inflates the tires to 45 psi even though the label on my Armada states 35 psi? Any ideas?

2004 Nissan Armada LE
80K miles
Minneapolis, MN, USA.

Last edited by verakot; 01-04-2013 at 04:06 PM.
#5 Old 12-13-2012, 03:36 PM
Pops
SHIFT_Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Pops is on a distinguished road
Garage
I'm pretty sure only the tire manufacturer can answer that question, the answer totally depends on the specific tire and the wheel size it is mounted onto. I can tell you that I called Nitto and ran my 325/60-18 Terra Grapplers on OEM wheels at 43psi, I can also tell you if those had been a 295/60-18, or if this was a Dodge Durango, or if the wheel was a 18x9, or the tire was a Michelin AT2, that number would've very likely been very different. Tire shops work off of general common specs, the only way to get exact numbers is from the tire manufacturer.

- Bob
2005 Armada LE 4x4
#6 Old 01-02-2013, 07:26 AM
sts16850
SHIFT_Enthusiast

sts16850 is on a distinguished road
It will say on the side of the tire "max load, and max pressure". I can tell you on the new F250s that all run LT tires. They are 80lbs rear & 75lbs front.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
#7 Old 01-02-2013, 07:18 PM
9balllrook
SHIFT_Hardcore

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
9balllrook is on a distinguished road
Welcome to the Club!!
I was told to run 40-42 in my 305/55/20 Prielli Scorpions (10 ply)

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

Jerry's 06 SE off road
07+ Intake, Injen CAI, JBA long tubes, Gibson Cat Back, UpRev tuned, 08 caliper kit w/ Frozen/Slotted Rotors, Goodridge Stainless Steel Brake Lines, Stillen 2-row/aluminum Radiator, PML pan, TransGo shift kit, 2" PRG lift, Bilstein 5100s, 20" Fuel Pump w/295/60/20 Terra Graps, 4ga. Grounding Kit, LEDs & HIDs, Kenwood DNX-9960 Alpine PDX amps, Kef separates,
(2) underseat subs w/Kenwood 10' slims, Twin Stinger Batteries, remote start & protection by Python

#8 Old 01-04-2013, 04:05 PM
verakot
SHIFT_Newbie

verakot is on a distinguished road
Garage
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pops View Post
I'm pretty sure only the tire manufacturer can answer that question, the answer totally depends on the specific tire and the wheel size it is mounted onto. I can tell you that I called Nitto and ran my 325/60-18 Terra Grapplers on OEM wheels at 43psi, I can also tell you if those had been a 295/60-18, or if this was a Dodge Durango, or if the wheel was a 18x9, or the tire was a Michelin AT2, that number would've very likely been very different. Tire shops work off of general common specs, the only way to get exact numbers is from the tire manufacturer.
Well, here is what I found on the Continental Tire web site (http://www.conti-online.com/generato...sure_en.html):

Quote:
The correct tire pressure can be found in the following places:

in the car's owner manual
gas tank lid
driver's side door's edge
door post

The air pressure listed on the side of your tire is NOT the correct air pressure for your vehicle. That number is the maximum air pressure for the tire.
So looks like they recommend to follow the driver's size door label, which suggests 35 psi for all tires...

2004 Nissan Armada LE
80K miles
Minneapolis, MN, USA.
#9 Old 01-04-2013, 05:14 PM
Pops
SHIFT_Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Pops is on a distinguished road
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by verakot View Post
... So looks like they recommend to follow the driver's size door label, which suggests 35 psi for all tires...
NOT for LT Rated Tires. The OEM Contis are P-Rated and should be ran at 35. LT Rated should always be ran at over 40 PSI very minimum. 3/4-ton and 1-ton trucks often run them at 65-80 PSI. 35 PSI on a LT Rated tire while towing a trailer can get someone killed.

- Bob
2005 Armada LE 4x4

Last edited by Pops; 01-04-2013 at 05:16 PM.
#10 Old 01-04-2013, 11:08 PM
B cup
SHIFT_Newbie

B cup is on a distinguished road
Running 40 per Tire shop

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode