mbender83
SHIFT_Enthusiast

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
mbender83 is on a distinguished road
Garage
Fix broken tail pipe

Last night i noticed a rattle, i followed to the tailpipe where i was able to move in such a way that def seemed wrong. Pulled it off and realized the flamnge completely rusted and broke. After a little panic i planned my attack. I went to local shops today but wanted to fix it myself (with the help of a knowledgable neighbor). Repair shops were a joke, one place ballparked the repair at $80 and should be able to get to it today. Sencond place wanted me to wait an hour just to tell me yes or no on if they could repair it. NAPA parts i went, $10 parts nad i was on my way home to fix.

I purchased a 2 1/2 steel coupler and two clamps.
I used a saws all and grinder to cut the remaining flange of the pipe. The grider was used to clean up the tial pipe section to reattach. The cutting and grinding was the most time consuming. Once that was done the coupler and clamps went right on, with no issues, tailpipe went back in place on mada with little effort. Id say no more than a couple hours including cleanup.
This forum helps so much i need to contribute when i can. hope this helps anyone in the same situation.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo Dec 03, 12 26 45 AM.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	163.3 KB
ID:	11601   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo Dec 03, 12 27 14 AM.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	130.2 KB
ID:	11602   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo Dec 03, 10 03 07 AM.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	107.4 KB
ID:	11603   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo Dec 03, 12 44 00 PM.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	305.6 KB
ID:	11604   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo Dec 03, 12 58 18 PM.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	126.6 KB
ID:	11606  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-01-2013, 01:36 AM
numbay
SHIFT_Newbie

numbay is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbender83 View Post
Last night i noticed a rattle, i followed to the tailpipe where i was able to move in such a way that def seemed wrong. Pulled it off and realized the flamnge completely rusted and broke. After a little panic i planned my attack. I went to local shops today but wanted to fix it myself (with the help of a knowledgable neighbor). Repair shops were a joke, one place ballparked the repair at $80 and should be able to get to it today. Sencond place wanted me to wait an hour just to tell me yes or no on if they could repair it. NAPA parts i went, $10 parts nad i was on my way home to fix.

I purchased a 2 1/2 steel coupler and two clamps.
I used a saws all and grinder to cut the remaining flange of the pipe. The grider was used to clean up the tial pipe section to reattach. The cutting and grinding was the most time consuming. Once that was done the coupler and clamps went right on, with no issues, tailpipe went back in place on mada with little effort. Id say no more than a couple hours including cleanup.
This forum helps so much i need to contribute when i can. hope this helps anyone in the same situation.

Thank you for your write-up and pictures. I found out when washing my Armada that the exhaust end was moving freely.
Went to Midas and they told me I have to replace the whole exhaust muffler piece as the piece sticking out is on the muffler side and was quoted $450+ tax. After looking at your picture looks like I have my answer. Thanks again!
I have to do it this coming weekend!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Armada Exhaust rusted.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	108.2 KB
ID:	11709   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0628.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	117.7 KB
ID:	11710  
post #3 of 6 Old 01-02-2013, 01:15 AM Thread Starter
mbender83
SHIFT_Enthusiast

mbender83 is on a distinguished road
Garage
$450...lol wow...thanks ridiculous...glad u found my write up and hope it helps. It's def a driveway job that took no time at all. I can't think of any pointers aside from what I mentioned. Good luck
post #4 of 6 Old 07-01-2014, 11:04 PM
Passat514
SHIFT_Lurker

Passat514 is on a distinguished road
Our tailpipe just failed at the exact same point (where it is welded to the flange that mates up with the muffler section). Looking at the flange, it is severely rusted. Much more than the flange on the muffler section it bolts to. I suspect another quality Nissan supplier cut a corner on this one...

BTW, ours is a 2008 with 79k miles on it.

My '99 Passat just went to the junkyard with 334k miles and the original exhaust system. So it can be done...
post #5 of 6 Old 07-02-2014, 04:39 PM
needboost2live
SHIFT_Newbie

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
needboost2live is on a distinguished road
I had the same problem and the same fix!

2007 Nissan Armada LE de-chromed through Plasti Dip, Moog HD rear springs, Bilstein 5100s highest setting, Daystar 1" rear coil spacer, and 325/60/18 Nitto Terra Grapplers on stock rims.
post #6 of 6 Old 07-21-2014, 03:52 PM
HLKSMSH
SHIFT_Lurker

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
HLKSMSH is on a distinguished road
Another thanks

Thanks for the write-up. Mine broke in the same spot while on a trip to NJ. I was able to jam the pipe back in, but it broke free a couple more times over the last few months. When I read about the possibility of burning up the wiring harness under there and possibly damaging the ECU, I bought your part suggestions and repaired it yesterday. I used a Dremel with an extension and cutting wheels (allowed me to get close to weld bead on muffler side of flanges). Putting the back up on ramps makes the job pretty easy space-wise.

Stock 2007 LE 4x4 Red Brawn
200k+ miles
Only issues: exhaust manifold leak, loose tailpipe, leaky front diff, front right wheel bearing

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode