User Tag List

post #21 of 27 Old 01-03-2013, 12:00 AM
Rick_In_Denver
SHIFT_Newbie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Rick_In_Denver is on a distinguished road
Hi ~ Ignorant (lack of knowledge) question to add to the thread... I've put 35,500 miles on my 2011 Armada in the past 15 months. I'm getting a bunch of stuff fixed pre-36k while the bumper-to-bumper warranty is in full effect (sadly, the most warranty repairs this dealership has seen on such a young rig).

In response to consistent complaints about the front end "bunny hopping" when hitting bumps in curves, my dealership said they will replace the front struts under warranty. Wahoo, right?

My question is this: What is the difference between the springs, the struts and the shocks? I thought that as long as they were tearing everything apart, this would be a great time to introduce the Bilstein HDs up front and have the dealership pay for labor. They said they might, but that this would void any warranties moving forward.

A) What part of the front suspension is the strut v. the shock? B) Are the Bilsteins worth it? and C) Should I worry about losing this small portion of my warranty? I need to figure this out quickly, so anyone out there online right now... I'd appreciate help. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 27 Old 01-03-2013, 05:38 AM
ntrddragn
SHIFT_Hardcore

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
ntrddragn is on a distinguished road
found this and it explain it better then I can.
Although shocks and struts are a lot alike in function, they are very different in design. A shock is designed to control spring motion as is the strut, but the strut acts as a suspension part and sometimes replaces other suspension parts. Sometimes used as pivot points for the steering and as an adjustment tool for alignment purposes, struts can absorb side loads where shocks do not.

based on your question..the shock is the tubular black (OEM) thing inside the 'srping' that is attached to the upper and lower control arm. so when you and ppl on here replace the OEM with Bilstein they replace the tubular thing and reuse the spring.

B) Yes. most if not all the members here have replaced theirs with either Bilstein (HD or 5100) or with Ranchos.
C) Not sure why replacing a better part then OEM would void your warranty. If it just void the 'replacement' of future shocks then I say Yes its worth it. If it void other suspension issues then I would ask why and what type of issues will not be cover.

you will noticed your ride will be smoother and better handling once you replace with aftermarket shocks like the bilstein.

Hope that helps.

'04 LE
post #23 of 27 Old 01-04-2013, 01:37 AM
Rick_In_Denver
SHIFT_Newbie

Thank you ntrddragn for the thorough answer!
post #24 of 27 Old 01-04-2013, 10:49 AM
Rick_In_Denver
SHIFT_Newbie

So... for what it's worth... The guys at the Nissan Dealership service area are telling me that the "strut" IS the shock and whipped out little diagrams to illustrate that point. Hmmm... In any event, they are inclined to swap in my Bilsteins but are going to have to talk the mechanics into it as they don't want to work with aftermarket parts. As my "struts" did not arrive in time for my service call today, the saga will continue. With any luck, however, I'll have a pair of new OEM shocks to sell (any takers? ha!), and Nissan will install my Bilsteins with warranty-paid-for labor. Fingers crossed that I'll save $300 this way. Most importantly, I'd LOVE to lose the bunny hop I experience when hitting a bump in the curves - at highway speeds in the mountains, esp'y on ice, that's dangerous. I'll keep you posted.
post #25 of 27 Old 01-05-2013, 10:04 PM
Rick_In_Denver
SHIFT_Newbie

So the saga ends... My dealership tried pitching the idea to corporate (say, what? why?!) and got nowhere. A) They say that the "strut" IS the shock/spring combo, lwhich is shipped as one part. B) Corporate says the warrantied labor will only cover the OEM replacement, whether or not they are tearing it apart and it makes sense or not. What a waste of time and - in the future - my money to have to tear it apart again some day to install the Bilsteins. Sigh. Good night lads.
post #26 of 27 Old 08-30-2013, 03:47 AM
DavidNJ
SHIFT_Hardcore

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DavidNJ is on a distinguished road
Just confirming...for stock ride height the 4600 HD versions are the correct way to go?

The specs say the 5100 is zinc coated vs. yellow paint. For less than $20 is that worth it? It may look nicer in the wheelwells.

Are they really the same calibration?

Last edited by DavidNJ; 08-30-2013 at 03:49 AM.
post #27 of 27 Old 08-30-2013, 04:08 AM
blackArmada_Dxb
SHIFT_Hardcore

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
blackArmada_Dxb is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidNJ View Post
Just confirming...for stock ride height the 4600 HD versions are the correct way to go?

The specs say the 5100 is zinc coated vs. yellow paint. For less than $20 is that worth it? It may look nicer in the wheelwells.

Are they really the same calibration?

Get the 5100s. I have. If you change your mind about lifting the front end, you don't have to swap shocks. Just raise that lip.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Interior LED Package, 55W Morimoto 6000k HID Lows, 6000k LED Fogs, Rev Camera, Invisible Car Bra, Upper & lower grille combo, White Door Handles, VOLANT CAI with PowerCore filter, BD Triple Dog GT (Premium Tune + 2 deg)
Bilstein 5100s with maximum lift in the front, 1" Daystar rear lift, Red powdercoated NCP 2773546 NAPA front & 2773545 NAPA rear springs, Rancho 9000XL Rear shocks, F&R Powerstop slotted & drilled rotors with ceramic pads, Front and rear anti-sway bar delete
My Build Thread: http://www.clubarmada.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23550

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode