not sure which car to get? armada vs qx56 vs sequoia - Page 2 - Nissan Armada Forum: Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums
User Tag List

post #11 of 29 Old 01-14-2013, 12:30 PM
Pops
SHIFT_Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Pops is on a distinguished road
Garage
Keith, the diesel Merc GL is priced lower than the gas models and although it also has less options available, it still has some nice features and has 455 lb-ft of Torque where the Armada has 385 lb-ft. The 3rd row in the GL is definitely more cramped though.

- Bob
2005 Armada LE 4x4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 29 Old 01-14-2013, 12:39 PM
Campfamily
SHIFT_Hardcore

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Campfamily is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pops View Post
Keith, the diesel Merc GL is priced lower than the gas models and although it also has less options available, it still has some nice features and has 455 lb-ft of Torque where the Armada has 385 lb-ft. The 3rd row in the GL is definitely more cramped though.
If I were to get one of these, I'd likely go with the diesel, mpg is good, gives you up to 600 miles on a single tank. But, the turbo V8 in the GL450 is pretty sweet as well, and it's only $1K more than the diesel......Might have to go drive one here in a few weeks.....

As far as the 3rd row being more cramped in the Merc, the specs don't support that. The Armada has 32.2 inches of legroom in the 3rd row, the Merc has 35. The QX only has 28.8. Not sure about width, didn't look at that spec. I'm also wondering if the 2nd row seat in the Merc slides for and aft; if so, then that would explain the fact that the Merc has more room in the 3rd but less in the 2nd.

- 12 Armada Platinum, 4WD, Tuscan Sun (red)
- 06 Armada LE, 4WD, Red Brawn, QX56 Wheels (traded)
- 04 Armada LE, 4WD, Smoke (lemon lawed)
- 08 BMW 550i, Manual Trans, Sport Package
- 00 Maxima SE, Manual Trans
- 65 Buick Skylark Gran Sport Convertible, 401 ci, 2nd owner, original condition, 68,000 miles
- Prowler Lynx 826M Travel Trailer, 26', 5000#'s

"How often we fail to realize our good fortune in living in a country where happiness is more than a lack of tragedy."
--Paul Sweeney, author
post #13 of 29 Old 01-14-2013, 04:24 PM
Pops
SHIFT_Moderator

Garage
My mother has a GL350 Diesel almost a year old now... The 3rd row doesn't have as much room but it is fine for most situations. She said "the MPG is a little better but nothing to brag about", for whatever that means. She, my wife, the kids all seem to love it. By kids I mean my 18yr old, 16yr old, and my nephews & nieces from 5yrs old to 10yrs old, so I figure it can't be too bad if all of them like it.

- Bob
2005 Armada LE 4x4

Last edited by Pops; 01-14-2013 at 04:55 PM.
post #14 of 29 Old 01-14-2013, 06:05 PM
Campfamily
SHIFT_Hardcore

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Campfamily is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pops View Post
My mother has a GL350 Diesel almost a year old now... The 3rd row doesn't have as much room but it is fine for most situations. She said "the MPG is a little better but nothing to brag about", for whatever that means. She, my wife, the kids all seem to love it. By kids I mean my 18yr old, 16yr old, and my nephews & nieces from 5yrs old to 10yrs old, so I figure it can't be too bad if all of them like it.
Interesting.....any reliability issues? I'm assuming this is the new body style, correct? (this was completely re-designed for 2012/2013).

- 12 Armada Platinum, 4WD, Tuscan Sun (red)
- 06 Armada LE, 4WD, Red Brawn, QX56 Wheels (traded)
- 04 Armada LE, 4WD, Smoke (lemon lawed)
- 08 BMW 550i, Manual Trans, Sport Package
- 00 Maxima SE, Manual Trans
- 65 Buick Skylark Gran Sport Convertible, 401 ci, 2nd owner, original condition, 68,000 miles
- Prowler Lynx 826M Travel Trailer, 26', 5000#'s

"How often we fail to realize our good fortune in living in a country where happiness is more than a lack of tragedy."
--Paul Sweeney, author
post #15 of 29 Old 01-14-2013, 06:40 PM
Pops
SHIFT_Moderator

Garage
It's a 2012 model.. She had HID thrown into the deal so they changed out the Halos for HID. No reliability issues yet. My dad got a $92k 2012 CLS550 the same day and had to tow it in 2-weeks later due to the engine going into limp mode because of a recall that hadn't been done before they sold it. Other than that they've been good, the only thing they don't care for is the extra Blutec additive that has to be refilled in the Diesel but they said it gets refilled for free along with the Free Oil Changes. They are both leased vehicles so that may play a part in it.

- Bob
2005 Armada LE 4x4
post #16 of 29 Old 01-15-2013, 02:40 AM Thread Starter
merv
SHIFT_Lurker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
merv is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campfamily View Post
I just took a look at the specs on the Armada, QX, and Mercedes GL. They are all within two inches of each other, except overall length (the Mercedes is about six inches shorter, although the wheelbase is the same), 2nd row leg room (the Armada and QX rule here, about three inches more than the Merc), and 3rd row leg (the Merc is three inches more than the Armada, six inches more than the QX). Couldn't see much difference between the QX and the Armada in key specs, except 3rd row leg room. Towing, the Armada is highest, Merc lowest (but still 7500 pounds, which ain't bad). The Merc gets pricey in a hurry, it isn't any problem at all to get up into the mid 70's. The QX is mid 60's nicely loaded. The Armada is much lower, mid 40's after rebates and discounts, which are very plentiful. If you can find it, a fully loaded 2012 Platinum 4WD can be had for the low 40's. But, in my mind, the QX and Merc are a notch above the Armada in drive quality, refinement, and luxury. That's what the extra 20 to 30K gets you!!
s.

Keith
I learned during this shopping trip to only marginally trust the interior specs. I'm sure the measurements are right, but the design still makes a difference in fit. I took my family of 5 to every large SUV we looked at (we looked at all of them). I need my 3 kids to sit comfortably in the second row - no go in the mercedes. The infinity cargo, behind the 2nd row seats (3rd row folded down), is shaped in a way that is smaller (the 3rd row seats don't fold entirely flat, the shape is less of a square due to other design elements). I put my dog crate in the back for direct comparison - quite a bit less space in the infiniti (mercedes even less). We would have to use a roof rack more often.
The infiniti drive is incredible. Acceleration, turning, breaking definitely a solid notch above the armada. The interior is also incredible inside. The armada is nice though, and yes a lot cheaper. Quality refinement and luxury for sure in the infiniti. We can have the infinite (with wheel package and entertainment) for 59. We can have the armada platinum for 46. Both 2012s, thus the price reduction. Just need to decide whether we buy the luxury with the less space trade off.
I like the idea of having them for a day. Wish I had thought of that before now, because we need to make a decision. I'll still try and squeeze that in.
Stephanie
post #17 of 29 Old 01-15-2013, 10:51 AM
keg97
SHIFT_Hardcore

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
keg97 is on a distinguished road
I'll chime in here with some thoughts....

Back in 08 we looked at the typicals and had several of your finalists. The wife and I both liked the GL but there was a definite size difference btwn it and the Armada/QX. I don't believe that new version has grown much at all. We went with the Infiniti (abt an 8K price difference if I remember correctly) b/c we didn't want to feel like we were "cheaping" out. We had done that once before, getting a Nissan Pathfinder instead of the QX4 and didn't want to do it again. Great decision for us. It was well worth it and we've had a great experience with our QX56.

One of my co-workers just got a loaded '12 QX56 and she loves it for all the same reasons that you mention. Every time I take the QX in for service they offer me the new QX. It does drive/feel noticeably nicer than our version. That alone would be worth it for me! I love our current interior, but the new version is much improved. The exterior styling is not great but I'm sure it would grow on me, much like ours grew on me. The big thing holding us up on trading in is that I want to see the new Denali and Escalades b/c our next truck wil likely be a Suburban/XL sized truck. We could make do with the QX but with 3 growing kids (8, 4, 2) who are getting into sports and such, I would rather have the room to be able to split them into captain's chairs and the 3rd row while still having space behind the 3rd row. Storage behind the 3rd row is limited on the QX.

Good luck on your decision...by reading your posts, it sounds like you really want the QX. I say, "go for it"....it's always easy to spend someone else's money!

2008 Infiniti QX56 4x4 (Tuscan Pearl/Wheat), 2009 Audi Q7 S-Line (Daytona Gray/Black), 2009 Infiniti G37xS (Garnet Red/Stone), 1994 Mazda Miata (Laguna Blue/Black), Previous Nissans:, 2001 Nissan Pathfinder LE 4x4 (sold 2/08), 1993.5 Infiniti G20-manual (RIP 7/8/04)
post #18 of 29 Old 01-15-2013, 08:45 PM
keg97
SHIFT_Hardcore

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
keg97 is on a distinguished road
One more thought....the Armada, as strong as it is, is a 10 year old design and about to be replaced. I would have some issue buying that old of a design- especially for 46K! The QX is significantly newer and "better". The trick suspension and direct injection/updated 5.6 engine are both sweet. I could easily justify the 13K difference with those two major components and the bells/whistles that you don't get on the Armada.

2008 Infiniti QX56 4x4 (Tuscan Pearl/Wheat), 2009 Audi Q7 S-Line (Daytona Gray/Black), 2009 Infiniti G37xS (Garnet Red/Stone), 1994 Mazda Miata (Laguna Blue/Black), Previous Nissans:, 2001 Nissan Pathfinder LE 4x4 (sold 2/08), 1993.5 Infiniti G20-manual (RIP 7/8/04)
post #19 of 29 Old 01-15-2013, 11:54 PM
spta97
SHIFT_Hardcore

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
spta97 is on a distinguished road
While I agree with Keg it's hard to predict the future and you will never be able to have the latest and greatest for long. There will always be something coming out that is bigger / better / faster / cooler.

Important thing is to stay within your budget but don't cheap out on a car that wasn't the one you wanted. I bought two brand new cars (97 Trans Am, 03 Maxima) before I finally bit the bullet and got my 05 BMW M3. The two prior cars were sold within a couple of years of purchase because they were not what I wanted. My M3 has lasted me 8 years now! Though if I could afford it I would chuck it in the trash for an Audi R8

Get what you want - it's cheaper in the long run.

Giggity
post #20 of 29 Old 01-17-2013, 02:30 AM Thread Starter
merv
SHIFT_Lurker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
merv is on a distinguished road
We are going with the QX. We took Pops excellent suggestion and had the Armada for a day, and overnight, then had the QX for a day. The QX is an amazing car to drive! So, decided it was worth the slightly less cargo.

Keg97, I thought when we started out that we were going to get a suburban/escalade/yukon xl because that was the size we wanted. Turns out every american mid and large suv is missing a headrest in the middle second row (and third - less of an issue) seat. That was a nonstarter for me because my 13 yr old's head was entirely over the back of the seat as was my 8 yr old's in his booster (which he needed because the seat belt was on his neck). So that means, with the third row folded which it very often is due to need for space for gear, 2 of my children and their friends could not ride in the middle seat. I don't think the dealers could believe such a minor issue turned us away, but it is a proven safety issue and I can't believe ford/gmc/chevie are so cheap that they can't put that head rest in.

So, our hunt was difficult because the exact car we want doesn't exist (3 people, not small children, comfortable in second row, lots of cargo behind second row, decent (i.e. 17-20) gas mileage, all wheel drive, etc). But the infinity is a fantastic car to be in and drive (don't really like the way it looks externally, but I'll get used to it) and we will make do!

Thanks for your thoughts and the now obvious but previously unthought of and brilliant suggestion to take the cars on our normal routine for a whole day!
Stephanie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode