#1 Old 01-15-2013, 12:57 AM
dwright757
SHIFT_Lurker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
dwright757 is on a distinguished road
shocks or struts?

Hey. Quick question, I have a 05 armada and I was wanting to know how would I know if my shocks or struts are going bad? When I go over speed bumps sometimes or I hit a hole while driving I get a squeky noise as it goes up and down also kind of rides a little rough and the turning corners my truck rocks a little. My tires only been on there for 8 months so I know they arent the problem. What are some good shocks or struts to buy?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-15-2013, 10:42 PM
spta97
SHIFT_Hardcore

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
spta97 is on a distinguished road
For the fronts, most people go with Bilsteins. They do not have them listed for the Armada but the ones listed for the Titan fit. IIRC, they have two models, 5100 and HDs (the latter being non-adjustable). I went with the HDs and thought they made a good improvement. Definitely reduced the bump steer.

However, I think most people replaced them when their front shocks were shot so some of the "OMG they are the best things since sliced bread!" reviews should be taken with a grain of salt. I replaced mine at 43k and they were better than stock but not OMG better. A good upgrade though.

Another thing to look for with squeaking is the front anti-sway bar bushings. Those can make a squeak / clank over speed bumps and the like and are cheap from the dealer. If you don't feel like replacing them you can squirt some lube in there like PB blaster which will last for a little while.

As far as the rears you'll have to do some searching. I have an LE which has the rear auto leveling so no good air bag replacements as of yet of which I am aware.

Giggity
#3 Old 01-15-2013, 10:52 PM
Pops
SHIFT_Moderator

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Pops is on a distinguished road
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by spta97 View Post
......... As far as the rears you'll have to do some searching. I have an LE which has the rear auto leveling so no good air bag replacements as of yet of which I am aware.
FWIW, I haven't tested towing yet but otherwise this is sweet: http://www.clubarmada.com/forums/sho...t=23224&page=4

- Bob
2005 Armada LE 4x4
#4 Old 01-15-2013, 11:06 PM
spta97
SHIFT_Hardcore

Pops,

Good deal - can you summarize though? Was this just new springs and shocks that work with the air bags? I'm a little confused by the thread and it looked like a real PITA.

Giggity
#5 Old 01-15-2013, 11:09 PM
Pops
SHIFT_Moderator

Garage
Sorry for not being clear, I replaced springs and shocks then connected the airbags to the OEM air lines that were previously attached to the OEM shocks. Then adjusted the height sensor down so the compressor only comes on under heavy squat. I ran into other problems with LCA corrosion that made it a terrible project.

- Bob
2005 Armada LE 4x4

Last edited by Pops; 01-16-2013 at 09:41 AM.
#6 Old 01-15-2013, 11:50 PM
ntrddragn
SHIFT_Hardcore

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
ntrddragn is on a distinguished road
FWIW, I installed the HD, it was better then what I had on (oem). I think the OEM were at 60K-70K miles before I replaced them. I installed the HD 3 yrs ago, truck is now at 115K miles. to me its gotten rough even before i lifted the truck. BUT my parents say the ride its better since I lifted the truck. LOL..i guess it depends where you sit. either way im replacing them.

As for the rear, im looking to go down the same path as Bob once he gets it all square away.

'04 LE

Last edited by ntrddragn; 01-15-2013 at 11:53 PM.
#7 Old 01-16-2013, 02:03 AM
dwright757
SHIFT_Lurker

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
dwright757 is on a distinguished road
Ok thanks for the info. I believe its the front I have tow package as well and I would kow if those went out. I just ordered HD's.
#8 Old 01-16-2013, 09:56 AM
Pops
SHIFT_Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwright757 View Post
Ok thanks for the info. I believe its the front I have tow package as well and I would kow if those went out. I just ordered HD's.
It's best to start with the front but don't be fooled about the rear. The Rear is actually a regular gas shocks with a seperate air bellow on top. Mine for example the air bellows are holding strong and the load support was still great but the ride was horrible because the gas chambers were shot.

- Bob
2005 Armada LE 4x4
#9 Old 01-16-2013, 07:52 PM
spta97
SHIFT_Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pops View Post
Sorry for not being clear, I replaced springs and shocks then connected the airbags to the OEM air lines that were previously attached to the OEM shocks. Then adjusted the height sensor down so the compressor only comes on under heavy squat. I ran into other problems with LCA corrosion that made it a terrible project.
That sounds a whole lot harder than replacing the fronts. I'll keep an eye on the thread to check your progress.

I just wish I could have a smooth ride but I run at 38 PSI and in the winter the ride is just much rougher (seemingly by the oil thickening in the front but not sure what the rear's excuse is??). I refuse to give up the increase in handling though

Worse yet my windows rattle so much over hard bumps that I fear they are gonna break one day.

Giggity

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode