Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

2012 Nissan Armada Platinum

14K views 48 replies 12 participants last post by  mikeutah 
#1 ·
Last week I picked up my new 2012 Nissan Armada Platinum. I got it so we can get a camper in the future so it needed to have the tow package. The car was a one owner vehicle with 83k miles.

I plan on putting on a small lift and some tires as well as maybe do some other mods I have read about here...headers/exhaust. I used to have a 2009 Nissan Xterra that was a great car.

Old Xterra:

New Armada:

Here is a list of items I hope to do, let me know if you have any thoughts or any ideas for anything else.

Phase I:
Remove rear emblems - DONE
Paint rear Nissan emblem
Paint front grill
Remove mud flaps and side steps - DONE
Paint mirror, door handle, and door molding chrome
New Brake Pads
Replace fluids

Phase II:
Tranny Cooler
Air Box Mod
LED interior lights
New headlight and foglights - HID?
PRG mini lift - Bilsteins and rear spacer
New rims and tires - 35's?
Headers and exhaust

Here are some pics after the first weekend of fun...removing emblems, side steps, and mud flaps.

See less See more
#30 ·
My goal of getting the Armada to tow a camper is getting closer to reality. Ordered a Microlite 25FKS that should be here in 6 weeks. Working on getting all the goodies I need to outfit the Armada and new camper.

On my list is the following:

Tow Mirrors - http://www.1aauto.com/2008-13-nissan-titan-mirror-pair/i/1amrp00587?f=501779&y=2012&utm_campaign=gb_csv_br&utm_content=MRP&gclid=CPmN0rHEhM4CFcVahgodoXcOhw

Those should fit I have a 2012 with power, heat, memory now....this looks like the replacement but let me know if I'm wrong.

Hitch - http://www.etrailer.com/Weight-Distribution/Curt/C17500.html?feed=npn&gclid=CMOBppTVhM4CFU1ZhgodlZ4OJQ

Looking at this hitch, should fit my needs. Camper is only 4500 lbs dry and max with cargo is almost 6,000 lbs. I do have the factory tow package.

Brake Controller - Prodigy P3

If you know of any other big items I need let me know...I'll post up pics when I get it! Can't wait to start towing with the new tow rig!

#31 ·
That's the first time I've seen that brand of hitch. Looks remarkably similar to the Equal-I-zer brand that I have (same basic principle), and at a much more attractive price. Looking at the reviews, looks like people are pretty happy with it. Be very curious to hear your view on it once you have it and have installed it.

Other than that, looks like you're going down the right path! Looking forward to seeing pictures!!!

Keith

#34 ·
Thanks for the help! I got word they ordered the camper so I went ahead and bought a bunch of stuff to outfit the Armada and the Camper. I ended up going with the Equalizer hitch in the end, saw one for $430 and that was only like $100 more than the Curt Tru Track. I think going with the Equalizer will give me more peace of mind. It's the 10,000lbs capacity and grabbed some extra pins, some sleeve things, and a hitch ball as well. Here's the goodies that are coming:

Tow Mirrors
Prodigy P3 Brake Controller
Equalizer 10,000lb Hitch
Furrion RV Backup/High Speed Camera
Tons of RV hoses, cables, adapters, electrical stuff, wheel chocks, leveling blocks, etc

Camper should be here in 6 weeks so I have some time to ditch the old rotted out pop-up camper and get the Armada prepped. I just did the brakes on the Armada but still need to replace some fluids, diff and trans, as the car is fairly new to us too.

If you have any other ideas on things I can get prepared for with the Armada let me know. It has almost 89,000 and not sure what's been done to it besides what I've done. Which is front and rear brakes, synthetic oil, HID lights, LED interior lights, CAI.

#36 ·
If you have any other ideas on things I can get prepared for with the Armada let me know. It has almost 89,000 and not sure what's been done to it besides what I've done. Which is front and rear brakes, synthetic oil, HID lights, LED interior lights, CAI.
How old are your tires? A blowout while towing ain't any fun!!!

Also, I remember when I ordered my Equal-I-zer, I had the option of them installing the hitch ball. If you have that option, do it. It requires a very high torque value, and a very large socket. (Unless, of course, you want the excuse to have to go out and buy that new tool!!!)

#37 ·
Tires are used and still have a bit of life left on them. I have been planning on getting new rims and tires but waiting to pull the trigger on that. I imagine I'll get them next Spring sometime, try to make it through this Winter with what I have. I would think we would only be taking some local trips, nothing too far, until we get used to it. Should come early Sept, so that leaves a few months to try it out. I would agree though, I don't want a blow out while towing.

As for the ball hitch, I didn't see that option....but the camper does come with setup and demo so if needed I think I can have the RV place get it setup on there.

Stuff should be here tomorrow, most of it...can't wait for the camper.

#38 ·
I got the brake controller installed. Was pretty simple using a diagram someone kindly posted up on this forum. One question I had was it seems to be on even with the ignition off. It does come with a carrying case, perhaps you unplug it when not in use. I just unhooked it and locked it in the glovebox till it's needed.

Mirrors were delivered today, hopefully they are the right ones. If they are I will get some pictures taken once they are on.

#40 · (Edited)
Thanks for letting me know about the brake controller, I guess to save my battery when not in use I'll just unplug it and keep it in the glovebox.

The tow mirrors came and they were the right plug, these will be great when towing the camper. Here are some pics:

New and Old

New mirror not extended

New mirror extended

Front view not extended

Front view extended

#42 · (Edited)
Finally think I have everything needed for the shop to install the headers, bpipes, and exhaust. Can't wait to drop the Armada off next Tuesday, I'm hoping everything goes smoothly with the install.

Uprev is creating patch for my ECU since it isn't supported, haven't heard much about that yet so I'm hoping it gets done in time so that I can get the tune done after.

Headers:

Bpipes:

Full System:

#43 ·
ilren, Awesome detailed post, The mirrors look like my F550 ones awesome find, great to see the JBA exhaust laid out. Beautiful setup..

#44 ·
I got the headers/bpipes/exhaust installed by a shop, they also welded in the UQ resonator. The Armada sounds great now! Did some logs and sent them to Jeff, got a quick response and am still tweaking the ECU. Think I have a small leak by the Y pipe clamp, I'll call the shop and see if they can take a look if it doesn't work itself out after some mileage. So glad I went this route, I'll update soon with pictures and gas mileage changes if there are any.

Thanks again to Jeff and Joe at Cajun bpipes for their great service and product!

#46 ·
That is sick. Looking forward to seeing pics and hearing about performance.

#48 ·
Went back to the shop to get the small exhaust leak by the y-pipe looked at, they should be able to weld it or put a better band clamp on there to minimize it. Other than that I'm loving the new changes. With the Uprev tune I swear it's shifting quicker and smoother, seems to just switch gears in a heartbeat when accelerating. The sound with the headers/bpipes/exhaust is great. At startup and idle it sounds mean. When driving around a parking lot it is definitely louder and has a nice growl to it in the low end. When getting on it hard it is loud but not too loud or obnoxious. Driving on the highway it is very quiet (I do have the UQ resonator) and is not much more noticeable than stock.

Here's a clip of startup and some revving...I'll try to get some drive by videos put up at some point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVjGPGvqWxY

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.