Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

SE Alaska

4K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  Kooshtaka 
#1 ·
Anyone on here in Southeast Alaska, or will be passing through Southeast Alaska (juneau)? :)

#2 ·
Koosh,
Sorry, I had to laugh. It must be hard having get togethers in Alaska. I think you are the only one I've noticed from up there on the board, but of course I don't know all the members.

btw, Have you lived there all your life?

#3 ·
No worries Don,

There are a couple members up in Anchorage area and maybe one around fairbanks i think. Yeah it's a bit tough to have get togethers up here, but I've seen at least 3 other 'Madas in Juneau and one QX so wasn't sure if they've made their way onto here yet.
I was born and raised here, but my family and I just moved back here a year ago for a job with my tribe. And we're only going to be staying for a little longer then moving back "stateside" lol.
We were in Durango, CO for 6 years before temporaily moving up here.

#4 ·
I worked for an Alaskan Native Company for 4 years. Their HQ was in Fairbanks, and the tribe was from the village of Rampart. It was an eye opener to see pictures of the tribe/village.

#5 · (Edited)
I never got to see any of the "tribe/village" I dont guess. I went up on a cruise a few years back. I stopped in Juneau, Katuscha, & several other towns/cities. Its a really beautiful state & was much different than I had expected. It was nice to be able to spend time roaming the cities & getting off the beaten trail. I got to kayak up next to a glacier (Cant for the life of me remember which one). Great trip for me & my best friend at 19yrs old.

Attachments

#6 ·
lol Taze the second picture you posted... the one with you and your buddy.... it's right up the road from the old "Indian" village in Juneau. haha... It is deffinately beautiful up here, but everything is so damn expensive it makes it a hard place to start out sometimes. In the pic with your buddy looks like it was the typical juneau overcast and raining off an on... lol :D

#7 ·
Spent a day in Juneau a few weeks ago while on a Disney cruise. Really loved the city, got to go up to the Mendenhall glacier, visited a fish hatchery and fish ladder, had fish and chips on the waterfront, then walked up to the capitol building and the old Orthodox Church. Very pretty city, we enjoyed ourselves there.

#8 ·
The Disney crusies just started coming her this tourist season... I might have been driving around downtown that day... I normally stay out in the valley and only go dwntwn for my work... Two weeks ago a lake under the glacier broke loose and flooded the lower lake and the river... had water halfway up the sand hill by the parking lot... :) the river jumped up a class or two that day... haha

#9 ·
Wow! Would have loved to have seen that! We got some great pics with the family at the waterfall by the glacier. So beautiful!

#10 ·
Perhaps you know these places also. This is the glacier we kayaked next to. We docked at some sort of "mall" & then were bused over to this glacier. If I remember we had to pass an oil refinery yard to get to it, but that may have been another area.
We loved this "The End" sign at the end of a dead end street...

Attachments

#11 ·
Koosh, was that due to the heat wave we have been experiencing? Global warming that made the lake break through?

#12 ·
The Glacier has been "receeding" ever since I can remember. It is quite possible its because of Global Warming. The glaciers all over SE Alaska are melting quicker than they are growing thus the appearance that they are moving back. They are all on the same giant cycle.

#13 ·
Ok so here's my once yearly shout out to see if I'm still the only one in S.E. Alaska. :)

#15 ·
#17 ·
lol halfway would be somewhere in Canada! lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.