Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

Service Engine Soon Light

12K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  bloodieddoc 
#1 ·
Guys - I had this light on a couple weeks ago. I opened up the gas cap and re applied it. I drove for a while and the Service Engine Light Soon went away for a couple of days. Now, this evening, the Service Engine Soon light is back on. I really don't want to spend money to get them to check the service code at the dealership; should I assume it is my gas cap going bad or should I go and get the code checked?

Please help...

:crikey:

#2 ·
I had the same problem. My wife didnt tighten the cap and the check engine light came on. I tighten the cap and after a while it went away. Thanks to CA I found out that you can go to autozone and have your codes checked 4 free. I did it a few times then I took it to the dealer and paid them to tell me the same thing..lol.

#3 ·
Should I just buy a new gas cap for now? It's much cheaper than getting the code checked. Autozone stopped checking for free.

#4 ·
Advance/oreilly

Check all the other auto parts store. I know over here in ga all the autopartsfair store are free. For dealer price you might as well buy your basic obd2 code reader. They are fairl cheap now. Amazon has them around 60 bucks. Autoparts store has them from 80-150. its something good to invest in since just to hook up the consult at a dealer is from 60-100 bucks. Basic obd2 readers won't give abs codes but will gve you engine codes. I have 1 basic and I have a blue tooth live reader that I hook up on my android tablet and could read most sensors during a test drive. Good luck. My first CEL was a dead o2 sensor.

#5 ·
Its against California law for parts store to lend you a code reader. You have to buy it. Lovely. I would say tighten the cap and drive it for awhile a see. Same thing happen to me. I just tighten the cap and drove it until the next fill up. That's just me. Heehee. I think you might have to reset it. Not sure if disconnecting the battery terminals for 15 mins would do that but I guess it would be cheaper then buying a cap or a code reader.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using AutoGuide.Com Free App

#7 ·
Wow Cali has some weird laws. Why is it illegal? I'm mocng to Cali next year I guess I'll learn all the rules soon. I went to sears today and they have some obd2 readers on sale. They had one for 60 bucks the brand is actron.
Weird? California land of nuts and fruits. LOL. Anti competition... A shop can charge 60 bucks if a auto part store lend it for free.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using AutoGuide.Com Free App

#8 ·
I retightened the cap and now the Check Engine Soon light is off after driving today. I'm going to buy a new cap to start off.

#9 ·
#10 · (Edited)
Thanks for the information. The light hasn't come back. I'm getting a new gas cap from Courtesy Parts.

#11 ·
Angel,

If the light comes back on, let me know. I have a basic code reader that you can use instead of buying one, or getting charged to have it read, and you are right up the road from me. We could meet this weekend or something and hook it up and see what it says.

Chris

#13 ·
If it comes back, I'll let you know Chris. Cracked Manifolds is covered up to 80K miles. I'm about 1000 miles shy. I'll hold off driving for now. Haha!

#12 ·
Hopefully you don't have cracked manifold(s). *knock on wood* let us know if all you needed was new gas cap.

#14 ·
Thanks Chris for getting me the code! The new Stant gas cap seems to have resolved the issue.

:bow:

#16 ·
I'll take you up on helping me with the brake upgrade too...I'll bring the beers!

:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.