Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

Tire opinions

5K views 18 replies 14 participants last post by  csptk 
#1 ·
I'm about to purchase some tires and I'm not too sure which brand to get. I currently have the Michelin Latitudes 275 60 20. I'm thinking about BF Goodrich, Bridgestone, Continental, or Goodyear. I want something not too expensive, but also good lifetime and quality. I live in New York. All seasons?? What do you guys think?

#2 ·
I currently have Bridgestone dueller h/t but am getting Cooper ATP's tomorrow. I wanted the Zeons but couldn't get thm delivered on time. The Duellers have about 50k on them and would have lasted another 10-15k if I didn't get lazy on my rotations. They were great in the rain, snow, dirt roads. A little soft in the sidewalls but can't complain. I hope the coopers are a good choice. Some good reports on them and the price is right at $199ea.

#7 ·
I second the Coopers and they will definitely be my choice for the next set. Partly due to the fact that they are made of silica and relatively lightweight.

#8 ·
I am replacing my tires in the next couple of weeks. I was looking at the Cooper discoverers as well. They have a higher utqg rating and are an aggressive looking tire.

I am very hard on tires...and brakes. I want something that is going to last. I don't want to be replacing tires every couple of years.

I had Toyos Proxes on my last SUV, but I had a set on 20" chromes for the summer, and a set of Toyo open country tires on 18" alloys for the winter.

I am a woman and changing out the wheels was too much of a pain loading and unloading, getting a truck to put them in etc.

My problem is that I need tires that will run great in the snow, but that I'm going to be running all year, and won't have to replace every two years. I keep up the rotations, but I wore out my Proxes pretty quickly. They were disappointing. The factory Michelins on my Armada lasted 18k miles.

So, that said....any other suggestions? Like I said, the Coopers are at the top of my list right now because of the UTQG rating, reviews, and the price, but I'm looking at Good Year SilentArmor and Yokohama Geolanders as well.

Thanks

#9 ·
I put a set of Cooper Discoverer HTPs on the QX a few years ago and have been very happy with them. I got them b/c I was not happy with anything else out there and the Coopers were dirt cheap (120/tire) so I took a chance. They have been great...no issues in rain or light snow. They handle very well and are quiet. We take the QX off road often at the beach and they do well. I've got over 30K on them them and will probably need to replace them sometime next year so I'll get almost 40K from them.

#12 ·
Take a look at the ATP's which are exclusive to Discount Tire and have a bit different design than AT3's but are essentially the same tire. The tread is aggressive but not as much as say the Nitto Terra's. I really like the look, they are QUIET, mileage didn't take a hit and overall I've been very happy with them. We go boarding often and head up the ski hills here in BC so I need a good snow tire too. So far I've travelled 300 miles thru one pretty bad snow storm and they performed well. I have to honestly same they are not quite as good as the Bridgestone Dueller H/T's in the snow but they are better on dry pavement and have a slightly stiffer sidewall so there's a trade off. It's not that they are bad in the snow but they don't have as good straight line tracking over 40 mph. If I still had a choice of tire I would stay with the Coopers. The only bad thing is they hold a few more rocks than the Duellers but that's only the problem of the drivers behind me. :)

#11 ·
Getting Falken Wildpeaks in a couple weeks.

#15 ·
Just bought Michelin LTX M/S 2 to replace Bridgestone HL Alenza 275/60/20 after 47k on them. The Bridgestones were a great tire and could of gone another 5k easy during the summer. I purchased the Michelins from Sears they offered $40.00 off and a rebate for $70.00 from Michelin. The price per tire was 301.00 before discount and rebate. Approx. $66.00 per tire more than the Alenza. I read the reviews on TR and the Michelins were the tire I was looking for. Tops in comfort, quiet, great handling,long lasting, 70k rating. Let me finish by saying they are worth it. I love them. They exceeded my expectations! I highly recommend them. The Bridgestones were great and you can't go wrong with them if price matters.

#18 ·
I'll second the LTX M/S 2's. Very confortable ride and less noise than the conti's. treadwear seems good too. I probably have about 7k miles on mine and they still look new but that's not really a bunch of miles to compare. I didn't notice a change in gas mileage but I wasn't expecting to either.

#16 ·
I ended up ordering the AT3s. The ATPs would have been much more expensive after ordering and installing them. The AT3s of course were out of stock and won't be in until next week....and it's snowing now. The good news, that after I get my tires installed, it won't snow again. :)

I'll see how many miles I get out of these. I may just go with Toyos or Nittos next time. It's pretty sad though that I put away money as my "tire fund" to be spent every two years.

#17 ·
FWIW..the rocky mtn I have on is champion on the snowy mtn of Utah yesterday. Slippery snow cover road, snow coming down lots of ppl sliding n slipping. Not this guy :) tow ppl out. Got yell at by a stranger cuz I was stop at a curve. I said I stop to help n ppl the people out of the way becuz they were on a blind curve and they r stuck. He said o I'll tell them. LOL. Some ppl. Don't help just criticized. Anyways the tires n FAV perform great.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using AutoGuide.Com Free App

#19 ·
I replaced the 275/60/20 Latitude Tours (stock tires) with Cooper Zeons at 17,000 miles. Although still happy with them, I'm down to 5.5-6/32nds with only 38,000 miles. Rotated every 6k miles too. So I'm looking at only about 8-10k more miles out of the Zeons (will replace around 3.5-4/32nds). Not real happy with the longevity, but otherwise vastly better than stock (other than noise).

My next tire will be the Hankook Dynapro ATM in the stock size.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.