Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

For those who has 4WD.........

20K views 73 replies 19 participants last post by  doctahjones 
#1 ·
Do you stay on 4WD all the time, or switch to 4WD when needed? Is it going to hurt the 4WD system, if I stay on 4WD mod at all time?

#63 ·
God, don't tell me I have to replace the front diff. I'd rather leave it in 2WD full time. LOL.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#66 ·
#67 ·
I know this is kind of a thread revival but i also noticed a difference when driving the vehicle in 'auto'. The steering felt slightly heavier from what i remember. The difference to me felt like the difference between driving my old Excursion with the front hubs engaged vs disengaged(without engaging 4wd). Probably wont settle the debate but i wanted to throw my .02 in there.

#68 ·
I forgot about this thread - thanks for bringing back to life.

I ran auto mode for several weeks due to the weather in NY and I too still feel a difference in steering. I was happy to switch back to 2wd once things cleared up.

But interestingly I almost never used 4wd. Auto mode did a very good job in the snow.

#70 ·
You are incorrect.

#74 ·
oh yeah, and i was also told (by the nissan used car sales guy when i bought my pathy) that the xfer case is a "magnetically actuated clutch pack", which is how it it is able to "throw" power to the front when needed while in auto.

of course i do not have any documentation to back this up though....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.